ASU Police train with big weapons

Discussion in 'In the News' started by USMC - Retired, Feb 6, 2007.

1. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

http://www.walb.com/Global/story.asp?S=6040292

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Wrong Choice

A shotgun is a close-range weapon. So is a handgun. While the handgun is inferior to the shotgun, neither one can hold a candle to a rifle at a distance. Even at 50 yards, which is still "within range" of a shotgun with slugs or buckshot, a rifle will do a lot better.

If campus police departments want to upgrade their firepower, I think they should get a .30 or .223 rifle, train to hit a bad guy in the chest at 200 yards or reliably get head shots at 100 yards, load the thing with 10-30 rounds of rapidly-expanding ammo (hollow point or soft-point), and know that THEN, and only then, will they be able to adequately deal with suspects at a distance, barricaded suspects, suspects who are in close proximity to innocents (so a precision shot is required), suspects wearing body armor, suspects as big as moose (shotgun slugs work fine for this, but not buckshot, not at 50 yards or more), and suspects whose vehicle needs to be disabled (all 3 kinds of guns could do this, but a rifle will do it best with the fewest shots fired).

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

OOPS

I just re-read the article and it said the campus police are trianing with highpower rifles, too. Not just shotguns. Good.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I'm conflicted.

On the one hand, I think it is a good idea to have a plan in place and the tools to solve the problem.

On the other, I can't help but think that somewhere in their campus police office is a mall (campus?) ninja just dying to be tacti-cool.

5. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Pistols and shotguns against a rifle is a no-go, good thing they are training with rifles too. Reminds me of what we used to tell Marines when we trained them with the M9 pistol, "This pistol is only good for fighting your way to a rifle."

Not too worried about a Mall Ninja though, the "Heavy Weaponry" will sit collecting dust until the officials get a chance to evereact, ala "The Great Boston Scare of 2007" :roll:

6. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

good thing we are so worried about college campus uprisings & not the same kinda thing happening at elementary & high schools... :?

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I'd like to see the prohibition on campus carry (or any school level for that matter) done away with. It is not right that the campus cops get guns and I don't. I probably have more range time than them.