Assuming I was carrying encounter?

Discussion in 'LEO Encounters' started by Viking, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Viking

Viking New Member

This is strange but promising:

I am in court almost every day. Today I have nothing on the calendar and when I dont have anything on the calendar, I dress to feel comfortable. I have on my boots, pants, loose-fitting Tommy Bahamas shirt and my Glock Shooting Sports cap I picked up at the GCO convention. I was headed to see a client of mine at the detention center. Upon entering the facility, a sheriff's deputy handed me a note pad and I asked what it was for. He said, "Don't you want to check in your weapon?" :shock: :)

I wasnt carrying but I guess he assumed I was b/c of the cap? This prompted a discussion with another deputy whether I actually could check in my weapon (if I had one on me) and she said as long I was an officer or had a GWL, I could check it in and put it in the locker. This is good news and I've been asking the courts as well b/c I would actually like to be able to carry and check my weapon at the entrance of courthouses (instead of being told to return it to my vehicle and/or be arrested). However, I would NOT advise anyone to do this at this time (check in their weapon at court or jail) because of the notice requirements under the new law and most LEOs are not aware of how to proceed under the new law.

2. Wolfram

Wolfram New Member

Well give it a shot we will either find out here or on the news of how it went for you. I can see how catching the wrong person at the door could lead to a bad day.

3. Viking

Viking New Member

I think I'll pass on that good time. :wink: However, I would like to know if GCO or any other organization here in GA have requested what (if any) new policies there are for courthouses, jails, et al in light of the new law.

4. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

The GSSF hat in conjunction with the shirt, IMO. Hawaiian shirts are great cover shirts. Typically untucked, and the pattern is distracting and breaks up any printing you may have. To me they practically scream "concealed weapon", only a bit less than a Royal Robbins vest or fanny pack. :lol:

5. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Yep, one of my favorite ways to conceal. Nice colorful and flowery designs only a real man would appreciate :lol: , and not only untucked, but completely unbuttoned to allow for relatively unobstructed access in an emergency situation. On the inside, a solid color tucked in t-shirt.

6. samman23

samman23 New Member

Is this the Gwinnett courthouse in Lawrenceville?

7. Viking

Viking New Member

No. Gwinnett Detention Center. But I would like to check in my weapon at both.

8. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

we need a test subject... Anyone up for it?

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I would like to see the courthouses permit checking guns (just as they do for law enforcement) across the state. I would like it to be required by law or let us in carrying. Every time I leave my gun(s) in the automobile I fret with anxiety worrying over whether my gun(s) will be there when I get back.

Sometimes they are not, you know.

10. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Me too, MP. Me too. Especially, the anxiety of wondering if they will be there when you get back.

You hate to drive unarmed, but you would also hate for a criminal to get hold of a gun and commit a crime or murder someone with it. If we have it on us, or check it... no problem.

11. Viking

Viking New Member

I totally agree.

12. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Maybe something to fight for next session. Guns allowed everywhere except courthouse/jail where they have to check them.

13. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

:righton: But not just courthouses.

Didn't HB615 have something to that effect?

14. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Once, when parking in a rough-looking neighborhood and walking a couple blocks to court, I unloaded my .38 and took the 5 loose rounds with me.
    I didn't want some crackhead to get a working, loaded gun if he broke into my car.
    At the courthouse, I declared the ammo to a Deputy before I went through any metal detectors.
    They gave me all kinds of heck about it. They said it was illegal. I said no, it's not. They said it was a violation of the courthouse security plan. I asked why, as the ammo is basically harmless without a gun. Unless you had a slingshot, then I suppose you could launch a loaded round with injury-causing potential.
    They eventually sent me to the supervisor's office and he agreed to hold my rounds for me "this one time" but said I'd better not try to bring "guns or ammo" into HIS building ever again.

I swear, it was just some loose .38 rounds. These guys acted like I was toting a hand grenade!

15. Malum Prohibitum

That's almost as bad as DKing's empty holster story!

16. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Do you have a link? Never heard this one before.

17. Viking

Viking New Member

HIS courthouse? That's like when a judge says MY courtroom. About a week or two ago a ADA told me I could stand "over there" and I replied that I will remain seated where I was since "It's my courtroom too." The judge's jaw dropped but the judge didnt say anything I guess b/c the judge knew me and I was laughing at the judge's reaction. :D I DID mean it though.

18. Malum Prohibitum

19. Viking

Viking New Member

No I just play one on TV.

Seriously though, yes I am. So is my brother-in-law, sister-in-law and my nephew.

20. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

Man, this place is crawling with them, not that there's anything wrong with that. :shattered: