Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is carrying of these devices allowed in Georgia specifically Atlanta???
I'll be in town for two weeks at the end of September and there seems to be many areas that are off limits to carrying a firearm. That would leave my protection to an ASP & maybe OC spray. Would a CCW permit(out of state, of course) cover such a device? Thoughts, suggestions, comments??

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
There is no concealed carry of an asp/baton in Georgia. With or without a license. It must be open carried.

I do not believe their is any requirement on carry of OC spray.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Gunstar1 said:
There is no concealed carry of an asp/baton in Georgia. With or without a license. It must be open carried.
Why is that?

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
16-11-126.
(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon when such person knowingly has or carries about his or her person, unless in an open manner and fully exposed to view, any bludgeon, metal knuckles, firearm, knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character outside of his or her home or place of business, except as permitted under this Code section.
The begining of 126 bans concealed carry of it.
(c) This Code section shall not permit, outside of his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his or her person a valid license...
The Georgia Firearms License only covers firearms, not asp/baton or knives.

Yes this is yet another strange twist to a Georgia law; you are trusted to carry a gun concealed, just not a knife or metal bar. :screwy:

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that Gunstar1.

That's funny. I can shoot someone, I just can't cut or beat them. Cause, ya know....knives and batons are dangerous ya know. :wink:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
What does "an open manner and fully exposed to view" mean?

Can I stick a sap in my back pocket with half of it exposed and be legal? If not, how much does have to be exposed for it to be legal? How do I carry one "fully exposed to view"? Even if carried in hand, some of it will be covered and not exposed to view.

I have a nice little blackjack and feel comfortable if I have it on my person. Almost as comfortable as carrying a pistol... So, exactly how do I carry it in a legal manner? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Macktee said:

Can I stick a sap in my back pocket with half of it exposed and be legal? If not, how much does have to be exposed for it to be legal? How do I carry one "fully exposed to view"? Even if carried in hand, some of it will be covered and not exposed to view.

I have a nice little blackjack and feel comfortable if I have it on my person. Almost as comfortable as carrying a pistol... So, exactly how do I carry it in a legal manner? Any suggestions?
Tape a sign on it like a flag that says, " this is an open carried ASP/Baton!"

·
Registered
417 Posts
Macktee said:

In regards to the ASP, I believe it has to be sheathed, and attached to your belt. Your shirt must be tucked in, and shouldn't cover the baton. I think that is considered open view, the entire weapon is exposed, and observable from all angles.

If you were going to go the flag route, I would recommend getting a marker instead and write "I have an open carried ASP baton" on your forehead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts