ASP/Baton Laws

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by kinglou0, Sep 14, 2006.

1. kinglou0

kinglou0 New Member

Is carrying of these devices allowed in Georgia specifically Atlanta???
    I'll be in town for two weeks at the end of September and there seems to be many areas that are off limits to carrying a firearm. That would leave my protection to an ASP & maybe OC spray. Would a CCW permit(out of state, of course) cover such a device? Thoughts, suggestions, comments??

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

There is no concealed carry of an asp/baton in Georgia. With or without a license. It must be open carried.

I do not believe their is any requirement on carry of OC spray.

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Why is that?

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

The begining of 126 bans concealed carry of it.
    The Georgia Firearms License only covers firearms, not asp/baton or knives.

Yes this is yet another strange twist to a Georgia law; you are trusted to carry a gun concealed, just not a knife or metal bar. :screwy:

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Thanks for clarifying that Gunstar1.

That's funny. I can shoot someone, I just can't cut or beat them. Cause, ya know....knives and batons are dangerous ya know. :wink:

6. ntech

ntech Member

I didn't know that, thank you for the information.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

So can military, they and others are exempt under 16-11-130

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

10. ntech

ntech Member

That's funny, you can conceal a deadly firearm with long range lethality. However you can't conceal a stick.

11. Macktee

Macktee New Member

What does "an open manner and fully exposed to view" mean?

Can I stick a sap in my back pocket with half of it exposed and be legal? If not, how much does have to be exposed for it to be legal? How do I carry one "fully exposed to view"? Even if carried in hand, some of it will be covered and not exposed to view.

I have a nice little blackjack and feel comfortable if I have it on my person. Almost as comfortable as carrying a pistol... So, exactly how do I carry it in a legal manner? Any suggestions?

12. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Tape a sign on it like a flag that says, " this is an open carried ASP/Baton!"

13. ntech

ntech Member

In regards to the ASP, I believe it has to be sheathed, and attached to your belt. Your shirt must be tucked in, and shouldn't cover the baton. I think that is considered open view, the entire weapon is exposed, and observable from all angles.

If you were going to go the flag route, I would recommend getting a marker instead and write "I have an open carried ASP baton" on your forehead.