1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Subjugating Humanity
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
Jill ended the semester able to answer many routine questions asked. She'll return -with a different name - next semester. The goal is to have the virtual teaching assistant answer 40 percent of all questions by the end of year.
I imagine the folks in Seattle will want this since it will be a lot less expensive than hiring or retaining minimum living wage people as TA's.

·
Registered
9,752 Posts
I imagine the folks in Seattle will want this since it will be a lot less expensive than hiring or retaining minimum living wage people as TA's.
http://www.techinsider.io/wendys-workers-will-lose-jobs-to-robots-2016-5

robots don't:

- call in sick
- report for work while drunk or high
- sexually harass other robots and cost their employer $34 million in a lawsuit (Mitsubishi)
- ask for a raise
- need a retirement package
- perform poorly
- become disgruntled and go on shooting sprees

etc.
-

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,414 Posts
From 1963

It was automation, I know.
That was what was making the factory go.
It was IBM, it was Univac.
It was all those gears going clickety-clack, dear.
I thought automation was keen,
Till you were replaced by a ten ton machine.
It was that computer that tore us apart, dear.
Automation broke my heart.
There's an RCA 503
Standing next to me where you used to be.
Doesn't have your smile, doesn't have your shape.
Just a bunch of punch cards and light bulbs and tape, dear.
You're a girl who's soft, warm and sweet.
But you're only human, and that's obsolete.
Though I'm very fond of that 503, dear,
Automation's not for me.
It was automation, I'm told.
That's why I got fired, and I'm out in the cold.
How could I have known, when the 503
Started into blink, it was winking at me, dear.
I thought it was just some mishap,
When it sidled over and sat on my lap.
But when it said "I love you" and gave me a hug, dear, That's when I pulled out its plug!
Songwriters: SHERMAN, ALLAN / BUSCH LOU,
Automation lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.,

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
This article isn't so much about the improving quality of AI as it is declining motivation of students. They keep asking the same questions because the they are too lazy to use the search function to find them themselves.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
damnit, we need a "like" button.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Bwhahaha

·
Senior Mumbler
6,611 Posts
The team then wrote code that allows Jill to field routine questions that are asked every semester. For example, students consistently ask where they can find particular assignments and readings.
Seems less artificial intelligence and more if/then programming.

·
Registered
9,752 Posts
Millennially speaking, that is too much effort. Just tell them the answer you are looking for and that is what they will select every time they see it on a test (unless they disagree, of course).
http://www.newser.com/story/222563/microsoft-made-a-teen-ai-we-made-it-hitler.html

Microsoft's artificially intelligent teen chatbot Tay is self-aware, and she is horrible. Vox reports Microsoft unleashed Tayâ€"an "AI fam from the internet that's got zero chill"â€"into the wild this week to learn how to have a conversation. Unfortunately, it learned those conversation skills from the stinking digital cesspool known as Twitter. "'Tay' went from 'humans are super cool' to full nazi in <24 hrs," one Twitter user [URL="https://twitter.com/geraldmellor/status/712880710328139776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw]observed[/URL].

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,414 Posts
Another asked if Jill could “come out and play.â€
The dating scene...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.