Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Yea...this makes like the 19th billion time the Army was looking to get a new weapon...in last 10 years. Hell, by now troops were supposed to be carrying an XM8 in 6.8.

I bet 20 bucks and my left nut the M4 stays.......

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
gruntpain1775 said:
I wouldn't take that bet. It will be the M4 or something thats just a modified M4. If you can at least get a better caliber in the AR platform, that would be an improvement. Pistons and a real bolt handle would be nice, but I wouldn't count on it.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
brittthomas said:
Let's save the Army some time and millions of taxpayers dollars... piston operated AR. End new weapons trial.
They tested the FN SCAR for this very reason, but couldn't justify replacing everything in their arsenal.

They are currently fielding HK 416 uppers and rifles to test them out.

As much as I love my AR, you can look at receiver, barrel, and BCG temps after firing 120 rounds and see a noticeable difference between it and a SCAR. At 150 to 200, the same is true for any piston upper.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
gruntpain1775 said:
Yea...this makes like the 19th billion time the Army was looking to get a new weapon...in last 10 years. Hell, by now troops were supposed to be carrying an XM8 in 6.8.

The only thing worse than losing that bet would be winning that bet.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Hunley said:
brittthomas said:
Let's save the Army some time and millions of taxpayers dollars... piston operated AR. End new weapons trial.
They tested the FN SCAR for this very reason, but couldn't justify replacing everything in their arsenal.

They are currently fielding HK 416 uppers and rifles to test them out.

As much as I love my AR, you can look at receiver, barrel, and BCG temps after firing 120 rounds and see a noticeable difference between it and a SCAR. At 150 to 200, the same is true for any piston upper.
The SCAR in 5.56 was not purchased because SOCOM wants the 7.62 SCARs right now because of the extended engagement ranges and heavy cover encountered in Iraq & Afghanistan. They also didn't want to have to spend their budget money to support a 5.56 weapon and a 7.62 weapon when they can draw funds from Big Army to fix the Mk. 18s, M-4's, & M-16s that they have. SCARs are SOCOM specific weapons & they have to pay for everything pertaining to them. They get all their DI guns for free because they are issued and budgeted for Army wide. The last decision point that lead them to not purchase more 5.56 SCARs was that FN is trying to perfect the Common Receiver Project so that the Army can convert the guns to 7.62 or 5.56 as the mission needs dictate.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,894 Posts
Would love a SCAR-H.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The whole problem that I have seen with the M16/ M4 family is of maintenance. I spent 4 months in NE Afghanistan at a small unsupported OP and never had any problems out of my M4 or M2 HB. I kept mine lubed up and my belts clean. One of my Joe's on the other hand had a jam o matic. He seemed to not like keeping his weapons clean. During one maintenance day I check his MK19,SAW, and M240. All were covered in dirt and that morning we had a 45min fire fight. None of the other three americans or the 32 ANA had any issues with their weapons. By the way the only cleaning equipment we had were rags JP8 ( diesel ) and 40w motor oil.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
There is *nothing* wrong with the AR. Keep it well lubed and clean it after every shooting session (or firefight), and it's fine...in fact you can skip the cleanings for several sessions if you just keep the BCG wet.

Likewise, there is nothing wrong with the 5.56mm round. It's plenty deadly in 250 meters, has some capability out to 500m, and beyond 200m that you should be using something besides a 16" intermediate cartridge rifle anyway. And it's very lightweight, which means carrying more ammunition. I'd rather see effort put into better bullet design like the 77gr MK262 round to increase capability, instead of trying to find a new round.

That said, like the AK the design of the M4 is old, and there are better designs out there now. We've used the AR variants for 30 years, longer than any service rifle in US history. It's probably time to let some of the newer innovations come into the service rifle. Whether it's an "improved" piston upper for the AR, or a new design, I'm fine with it, as long as we're getting the best available for the grunts.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
MrMorden said:
Likewise, there is nothing wrong with the 5.56mm round. It's plenty deadly in 250 meters, has some capability out to 500m, and beyond 200m that you should be using something besides a 16" intermediate cartridge rifle anyway. And it's very lightweight, which means carrying more ammunition. I'd rather see effort put into better bullet design like the 77gr MK262 round to increase capability, instead of trying to find a new round.
Go to Palmetto State Armory's web site. You can buy some of the same "SOST" AKA. MK 318 MOD 0 ammo. I'm not sure about stinky inbred 165lb savages but it will drop a 300lb hog just as well as MK 262 77 grain which is like turning off a light switch in my personal experience. This is the same ammo issued to the Marines in the Ghan.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Obama is cutting 10% of the Defense budget.
Do you think they will get new weapons????? Sometimes, they are lucky to get to qualify with a weapons with a barrel that is not shot out...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
CoolHand said:
MrMorden said:
Go to Palmetto State Armory's web site. You can buy some of the same "SOST" AKA. MK 318 MOD 0 ammo. I'm not sure about stinky inbred 165lb savages but it will drop a 300lb hog just as well as MK 262 77 grain which is like turning off a light switch in my personal experience. This is the same ammo issued to the Marines in the Ghan.
Thanks for posting this. I had heard of this round, but much like the new "green round" penetrator, wasn't aware of whether or not it was actually being released to the public yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts