Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Associated Press has picked this up and it's making through the national channels.

:soon:

:^o

Well ok, not AP, but WHIO (Cox Broadcasting) in Ohio did share the story.

What a generous thing the deputy did trying to help that pos who then turned on the deputy. I would really like to see the dash cam if it caught anything.

I found this bit of desperation in finding something else to ban entertaining. From awanatech's link:
It is also being investigated if the suspect, whose name has not been released, had an object in his hand at the time of the beating.
Like that's going to be the key to stopping crazy/evil people and violence.

Why would they not release the suspect's name?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,600 Posts
Our local Communist Party paper, the AJC, ran a header for the news story that said something like “Officer Recovering From Attack” without mentioning (in the header) the armed Good Samaritan aspect.

Count on the lib-tards at AJC to minimize or downplay anything that puts gun ownership in a favorable light.

Reactions: TimBob

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
lol, poor AJC. They really had to struggle with this story. First, the text in the URL is 'Bystander shoots suspect after attack on North Georgia deputy', but the headline is "Deputy out of hospital after assault at North Georgia gas station." They provide two separate "story highlight" links to use with twit followers, facebook and others. One for their loyal readers, "A deputy was assaulted by a suspect in Dawsonville, the sheriff said. ", and a second for the people that get it, "The suspect was shot by a bystander."

Then in the story, they second-handedly give the bystander that shot the suspect a reference as a "Good Samaritan":
Other good Samaritans held the man down until deputies arrived on the scene, Channel 2 Action News reported. The suspect was shot at least once, the sheriff said.
Or, is that excluding the bystander?

I'm sure the Today Show will invite the bystander up to tell her story. Not.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey now, you gotta give the AJC some credit, they put a lot of effort into minimizing the role of an armed citizen possibly saving a deputy's life.

The DA is deciding whether there are any charges to be brought against the defending bystander. I have not seen what charges they may be looking at against her.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
The DA is deciding whether there are any charges to be brought against the defending bystander. I have not seen what charges they may be looking at against her.
It is interesting when they report "no charges will be filed", like we could if we wanted. Hopefully, that will be the case here that none will be filed. It sounds like the deputy was losing the fight.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Uh?
Oh yeah, I remember, there is OCGA 11-11-999 that states, "If a member of the public acts on behalf of a third person, and said person has a GUN, then they are GUILTY, doesn't matter the circumstance..."

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is interesting when they report "no charges will be filed", like we could if we wanted. Hopefully, that will be the case here that none will be filed. It sounds like the deputy was losing the fight.
That's my thoughts too. My initial reaction is surprised (but not too much) that they would be considering charges, but who knows, maybe she is a felon with a gun or something. If that were the case though, I bet the media would be quick to report something like that.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Uh?

Oh yeah, I remember, there is OCGA 11-11-999 that states, "If a member of the public acts on behalf of a third person, and said person has a GUN, then they are GUILTY, doesn't matter the circumstance..."
Unfortunately, there are so many laws on the books, I'm sure I break one on the way to the bathroom every morning. It pick and choose, no need to make one up.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
That's my thoughts too. My initial reaction is surprised (but not too much) that they would be considering charges, but who knows, maybe she is a felon with a gun or something. If that were the case though, I bet the media would be quick to report something like that.
Guns everywhere! Remember?

Regardless, the new state law, which takes effect in July, also expands on Georgia's "stand your ground" policy by "protecting convicted felons who kill using illegal guns."
Frank Rotondo, the executive director of Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police, told The Guardian, "One of the biggest concerns is it expands stand-your-ground. The way it's written, a felon who is not permitted to have a weapon could use a weapon in defense of his or her home and not be charged for having the weapon."
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/georgias-guns-everywhere-bill

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
I had much difficulty locating that on LexisNexis. :lol:

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,417 Posts
That's my thoughts too. My initial reaction is surprised (but not too much) that they would be considering charges
My belief about how the reporting goes is that the authorities will not categorically rule out any charges early in the game before investigating to completion. It doesn't mean they're contemplating any.

The newspapers will report that in a way that sounds like charges are being contemplated. "Authorities are considering charges." or "Authorities may bring charges later." etc. They seem to only do this with guns. If the hero used fists or a bat, charges could still be possible, as in any altercation, but the media will not mention that.

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
http://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...-north-georgia-deputy/cSNynR1XUoZEhhRkpa0NJK/

I heard about this story on the way home. The deputy had given the suspect a ride, who then turned on the deputy and started beating on him. The beating continued until an armed passer-by stopped her car & shot the suspect. The deputy has been released from the hospital.
Apparently the "armed bystander" who shot the man was a woman.
"Johnson said a bystander stopped her car and shot the suspect . . . "
After being shot, he ran across the street and attacked a woman, who is also hospitalized.

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
The sheriff said a woman in a car at the Chevron witnessed the assault, got out of her car, gun in hand, and fired on the homeless man attacking Harkness. Eyewitnesses in the gas station saw it unfold.

"She shot off, a round. The guy got off the police officer and she shot another round and he was running that way I think, there was three shots," said Aseem Kahn, owner of the station.

The sheriff's office told FOX 5 News, the man, who'd been hit by at least one slug, ran across the street to this McDonald's where he attacked an elderly woman in the parking lot.

Sharon Cheek, shift manager at the McDonald's told FOX 5 News it appeared the homeless man had been trying to steal the woman's car.

"He told her, looked at her, and told her she was dead, and then punched her square in the nose, 75 years there was no sense,' said Cheek.​

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/woman-comes-to-aid-of-dawson-county-sergeant-during-fight

So is that three shots or five shots????

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Wow, made it into the video and the write-up.

"It could have been worse, mate, thank you for that lady who was carrying," said Kahn.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Same link Malum posted.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation and Dawson County District Attorney's Office are involved in the investigation to determine, among other things, if the woman who fired on the man attacking Sgt. Harkness should face charges.
Hard to believe, but she fired three shots. Two after the attack on the deputy stopped, per the witness, but before the assault on the 75 y/o woman.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,600 Posts
I know the owner of the Chevron station where this went down. I may call him and see if he knows more info than what the news is reporting. He probably talked to some of the eyewitnesses personally.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts