Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
68,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://reason.com/archives/2010/08/23/armed-and-weird

The sheriff put this notation on Dorr’s rejected application: “Concern from Public. Don’t trust him.â€

U.S. District Judge Mark W. Bennett concluded that the “concern†was related to Dorr’s controversial speech, especially his attacks on excessive county spending, which included an inquiry about the salaries of Weber’s deputies.
This is a great reminder that the First Amendment protects the sole individual who may be a gadfly, kook, weirdo, nut job, whacko, and spook, with the same force of protection as folks with more majoritarian and popular views

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Bennett ordered Weber not just to issue Dorr a carry permit but to complete a court-approved course on the U.S. Constitution. The case has had broader consequences as well, spurring the state legislature to limit police discretion regarding carry permits. A new law that takes effect in January lists valid reasons for denying a permit application. Weirdness is not one of them.
Well done!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
This is a repost, I remember the previous thread from months back

·
Registered
17 Posts
A close call for sure in the civil liberty department. At least the judge had some sense (imagine that).

I can see it now...
Judge: You are ordered to take a class on the US Constitution.
Sheriff: What's the US Constitution?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Darn. I thought is was going to be a thread about our buddy. :shattered:

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
All freedom-lovers should really be rejoicing at this. I know I am.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts