Are you legally OBLIGATED to inform LEO of CCW?

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by shamalama, Jun 13, 2007.

1. shamalama

shamalama New Member

If I'm stopped for a license check, at a roadblock, or for speeding, am I LEGALLY OBLIGATED in Georgia to inform the LEO that (1) I have a license, and (2) I am carrying?

Does informing the LEO lead to more problems that it's worth, or does not informing lead to more problems and possible "action" by the officer?

Is this a STATE issue, or a COUNTY issue? Does LEO behavior in this vary from county to county that you've experienced or heard of?

Nothing like this has happened to me (yet), but I do want to be mentally prepared beforehand, and I want to stay legal.

Thanks,

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

1. no, LEO has to ask
    2. no, LEO has to ask

Depends, if you are being pulled over or whatever for something unrealated to your firearm, it is best to not say anything. What the LEO doesn't know won't hurt you.

It is a state wide law/issue. Though the training of how to handle such situations vary from county to county, city to city.

My rule of thumb is that if they don't ask if I have a firearm, then I wont tell them I am licensed to carry one.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Could lead to disarming and field stripping of your gun.

Maybe not.

People here have experienced both.

Here is one interesting thing that recently happened, in case you missed it.
    http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... php?t=3573

4. shamalama

shamalama New Member

THANK YOU!

If they don't ask if I have a firearm, then I wont tell them I am licensed to carry one.

Unless they specifically ask, then I do not volunteer information about either me, my license, or my gun.

I had heard elsewhere that you are only obligated to directly answer direct questions ... and nothing else. Do not volunteer either information or searches.

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

A wise decision.

Even wiser yet.

Plus...don't forget you don't have to answer at all. ;)

6. Malum Prohibitum

But that's so rude! [-(

Don't answer?

:left: "Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?"

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Yep. But we called it high school. :D

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The legal portion of your question has been answered. As for what will happen if you do inform, that will depend on each individual officer. If it's me we will have a nice discussion about your choice of carry. My personal advice would be not to mention it unless you think that it might become an issue somehow during the actual course of the stop.

9. Malum Prohibitum

But if its Ofc. Farva, You're going down!

10. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Nope. He's shoot himself trying to draw his weapon.

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Wrong, you can clearly see from the picture that Ofc. Farva is still on radio duty. Like the school bus incident.

12. Malum Prohibitum

:evil:

Farva: Don't call me radio, unit 91.

Mac: Then don't call me unit 91, radio.

Farva: Are you done?

13. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I'm calling Shenanigans!

P.S. - This thread has officially been hijacked. :wave:

14. EOD

EOD New Member

The only time the issue came up with me was when I was pulled over by a female State Trooper for speeding. I was on the way to the Madison range and the vehicle was loaded to the gills with weapons and ammo. She seemed to not be in a very good mood at the beginning. When she asked for my license and insurance card, I thought they didn't have to do that anymore, I also showed her my GFL and informed her I was on the way to the range and had weapons in the car. She went back to her car and in just a few minutes came back to my vehicle, smiled and issued me a warning ticket.

15. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

She just didn't want to upset a guy riding around with an arsenal.

16. EOD

EOD New Member

That could be it. :D She did seem much more pleasant when she came back. Maybe she just wanted to go shooting.