Are road blocks legal?

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Mastino177, May 7, 2007.

1. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

Well, are they? Is it legal and reasonable that police can construct a road block and ask you for your lic. etc. if you have not committed any violations? The city of LaGrange is putting on these ball busters...I haven't been stopped yet, but I'm counting on it soon...just another thing to be piled on from working late. Oh, by the way...I'm all legit.

2. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sobriety_checkpoints

I can't begin to give a response without cursing, shadow-boxing and uttering foul-mouthed statements.

Don't get me started on their "effectiveness." Especially after they trample on what I consider liberty.

Georgia isn't one of them.

Hand over your papers, comrade. :-({|=

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Is it legal? yes. We have Michigan v. Sitz to thank for that.

Edit: I should have pressed enter before taking that call.

And I'm right there with ya foshizzle, they infuriate me.

4. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The courts allow them, but I believe them to be unconstitutional.

5. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I hate those things.

I always get stopped, and I've never driven drunk, not a single time.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

What? You find something wrong with armed men forcibly stopping you when they have no probable cause and admit having no reasonable suspicion that you have done anything wrong?

Are you some kind of hippie?

7. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

The past two times I've been armed, with the pistol right on my hip where I could just as easily be going for it as for my wallet, and I haven't said a word.

It's none of their GD business.

8. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

I have not seen any here in SAV that they stop all or every so many cars but I have seen several cars with LEO standing along side of the road looking for seatbelts and having them pulled over.

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I've never been through a roadblock in Statesboro. Then again, I'm never out that late.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

GSP in Villa Rica put on ball busters. I've been through three within the last year or so and about 6 since I moved out here in 2001.

Can't freakin stand them for it. It is unjustified as all of these have been in the middle of the day when statiscally there aren't going to be as many drunks on the road. I guess the blue bellys needed to go on a fishing expediton to raise some funds for the department.

I never tell them I am armed. They didn't give me advance warning that they were going to stop me. Courtesy is a two way street.

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I made the mistake of turning around when I saw one in Knoxville. I ended up being stopped by 4 officers in 3 cars. The claimed that I was "acting suspicious" by making a u-turn when I saw the roadblock. I told them, that the reason I turned around was that I didn't want to sit in traffic waiting for my turn to talk with them. After 45 minutes af questions, a breathalizer, and running my license, they let me go with a ticket for an improper u-turn.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Yep, I was told not to do a uewy in front of a roadblock unless you wanted to get a full body cavity search! :( :shock: :oops: :cry:

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Was it an improper U-turn?

Also, I am curious, why did you submit to the breathalizer?

14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Yes the U-turn was improper. At the time I was 20 and didn't know that I had a right to refuse the breathalizer, and had nothing to hide anyway.

15. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

I wouldn't submit to anything...period. No breath, no line walking...no you can't search, etc. How can a violation of the constitution be a nessessary evil?...just another way the courts have no accountability nor since or reality. I can understand their need, but I've not done anything wrong...I'm just driving...don't mind speaking with you, but if my tags are correct and I don't spell of alcohol and have nothing wrong with my speech...and I'm in my work clothes...then let me go. All are in the open...you don't need to see anything else.

I think that I might tell them they are in violation of my forth amendment and I'll defer any other form of questioning due to fifth amendment, and officer I am practicing my 2nd amendment. Did someone forget to argue that maybe catching DUI's is one thing, but asking for info and any other form of questioning is illegal.

As far as the GSP's, I have no love for them either.

16. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Yeah to everything everybody has already said, but...

Our "strict constructionist" chief justice says they're legal and that's the end of the discussion.

As Adam found out, DO NOT be seen attempting to evade one as that will cause major inconvienences to you. Just be polite, hand over lic & reg and thank the nice officers for making the roads safer for us all.

If you can't avoid the situation, relax as much as possible and try not to let it do bad things to your blood pressure.

Just be thankful we don't live in the area of Louisville where I grew up. Especially over the Derby Day weekend!

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... 008/NEWS01

Not exactly sobriety roadblocks, more like martial law...

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

refusing a FST or breathalyser means you go to jail and are looking at having your drivers license revoked for 6 months.

18. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Nope. Those are voluntary field tests.

19. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Good point Ram.

Experts, what happens if we refuse the sobriety tests and a breath test?

20. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

They are voluntary, but your refusal to take them will most likely end in your license being revoked for 6 months. Unless you got a good lawyer.