Are hollow points illegal in ga?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by mike316atl, Aug 20, 2007.

1. mike316atl

mike316atl New Member

Never seen them sold around atlanta, are they illegal?

2. ntech

ntech Member

I bought a few boxes of them at Autrys Armory in Fayetteville for my G22, so I would presume they are legal.

3. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I've bought them all over the state, including some Atlanta area stores (Autry's, Clyde's, Bass Pro, Bullseye).

Never had a single problem.

4. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Perfectly legal, highly preferred for carry.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

+1

Think about if you live in an apartment or other close quarters. You don't want your rounds busting down the wall into the next apartment.

Just curious: What made you think they were illegal? Because you haven't seen them for sale much? Or did some uneducated cop tell you so? :wink:

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

+2

If you cannot find some of the better SD ammo, then Walmart usually has some WWB JHP's.

7. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The only state where I know of them being illegal is New Jersey.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Most ranges carry them, to my knowledge. Or you can order them online. There's shipping involved, so you should buy many rounds. Not just SD, but practice or other gear, too. That way you can save on shipping.

9. M249

M249 New Member

Adventure Outdoors has 'em.

I'm looking for some Federal HST .40 S&W 165 grain myself.

10. Corbomite

Corbomite New Member

+3

Wally world near me carries the white box JHPs which is what I use.

11. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Speaking of which, how do the WWB JHP's measure up against Cor bons or Gold Dots? Is there even a comparison?

12. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Speer GoldDot Hollow Points :shoot:

13. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I purchase my Speer Gold Dots on-line out of Florida. Very legal in GA.

14. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Where?

15. gsusnake

If you can't find the HST with a little bit of looking, let me know and I'll pick you up however many you want next time I'm in Hinesville.

That goes for anyone... any kind of weird/hard to get/labeled LE carry ammo you want, I'll help out. Mission Essential sells EVERYTHING and since I'm such a regular I get the discount.

16. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Hollowpoints Illegal ???

Hollowpoints as we define that term are not illegal and are commonly available. They are standard-issue for all police agencies.

Hollowpoints as the media describes them, which is to say that they explode on contact and just rip people in half, throwing body parts all over the place, etc, are illegal. Especially the kind that wait in the wounded victim's body, lurking, hoping for a chance to bite some surgeon and penetrate the good doctor's latex gloves, exposing the poor M.D. to AIDS or some other nasty disease that the "victim" inadvertently acquired through living a full and exciting life.

So, basically, a regular hollowpoint is fine.

Don't fill the hollow cavity with blasting powder and top it off with a primer and a dab of glue. That kind of exploding projectile is probably illegal in GA.

Don't put feces or cyanide or any other type of bio-hazard or poison in the tips of your hollowpoints, either. I'm sure that's illegal, too. I can't point to the Code section that makes it illegal, but I'm sure the cops will find something to fit. The laws in Georgia are very flexible when it comes to people doing unusual things that the public would find repulsive.

17. gsusnake

Re: Hollowpoints Illegal ???

That's why they make extractors...

I'm officially calling BS on every single story where a bullet cut a surgeon's glove. If he was halfway competent, he would never have touched the bullet. Standard precautions.

18. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

The infamous black talon stories. Investigative journalism at its finest.

19. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Next time you're there see how much the 9mm in 147gr cost. I might have you pick up 100rnds.

20. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I'm also interested in a quote for the 124 or 135 (+P bonded) version.