Are gun shows a public gathering or event

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by jason1, Feb 26, 2007.

1. jason1

jason1 New Member

I was reading Eastman Gun Show policy about load firearms.It seem strange that you have a lot of people that have firearm in there hands in one building and the police are not trying to arrest you on public gathering charges. :lol: :lol: Here is my question is it illegal carry in a gun show, I would never do it but you do have a lot people with firearms all over the building.Could the ant-gun folks use the Georgia law to shut down the big bad gun show if its a public gathering.The Eastman Gun Show sound like a event that happens one's a month.The Eastman Gun Show Rules stand that you can't Bring loaded firearms or loading firearms while on the premises is strictly prohibited.It goes on to say that you bring load firearms on to the premises you will be refused entry and maybe subject to prosecution.What prosecution,Only thing I can think of is trespassing in which they ask you to leave or will they try to put public gathering as a charge for carrying. I know this maybe stupid to ask but if you don't ask you will never know. http://www.eastmangunshows.com/

2. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

If you have to pay to get in, doesn't that make it private?

3. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Every gun show I've been to in GA requires that guns be unloaded and zip-tied by cops at the front. They also usually have signs referencing a "public gathering" in some way.

Of course the actual law doesn't make any distinctions about being loaded or concealed or anything in regards to the ban on guns at "public gatherings." I guess the law just gets ignored for the sake of the gun shows.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

It may fall under the same exemption as firearm related sporting events.

5. Montieth

Montieth New Member

I think the caveat is that there's the affirmative defense rule for the public gathering. IE you inform the officer at the front, he zip ties your gun and you're good.

So technically, you can walk up to your favorite bar, tell the cop you're friends with at the door and you're good. This is what I did at a local club I went to on a regular basis. I'd pay the cover, exchange some small talk with the officer at the door clear my gun and then walk into the office and the manager/owner would let me drop my side arm in the drawer of his desk. I never drank when I was out so I wasn't three sheets to the wind on my way home after picking it up either.

I wish more places were like this. Of course sadly, I figured out later that this place's owners were a bit into the white powder but luckily they were low key about it and didn't ever push their crap at me nor did they ever involve me even unintentionally in their problems.

6. kkennett

kkennett New Member

That's the million dollar question with movie theaters and others. Surely the sporting events require, in many cases, a paid entrance. So here's a question for thought, if payment doesn't make it private, what does? Invitation only?

7. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

What's this you can't carry in a movie theatre? Ooops.

8. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Mastino, search for 'movie' on this site. There are several good threads about that. Bottom line, who knows? Ambiguous laws and no spot-on case law.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood. —JAMES MADISON

10. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

In legal terms, a person is "invited" to a movie theater. An "invitee" is a person who enters the land of another with the owner's express or implied permission and the purpose is for the (usually economic) benefit of the owner. When a person enters a store or movie theater, the person is an "invitee," because the person enters with the implied permission of the owner (it's open to the public) and enters with the purpose of benefiting the owner (buying goods or admission tickets). From that standpoint, buying an admission ticket does not make it "private," because the tickets are what the owner is selling to the general public.

Not that this makes a theater a public gathering. Knowing that a mall is not a public gathering (AG opinion) and knowing that a McDonald's is not a public gathering (Ct. App. opinion), it's tough to see the big difference between these examples and a theater.

But, who knows? I thought 60 days meant 60 days, too.

11. SigP229

SigP229 New Member

16-11-127

(d) It is an affirmative defense to a violation of this Code section if a person notifies a law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a public gathering of the presence of such item as soon as possible after learning of its presence and surrenders or secures such item as directed by the law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a public gathering.

12. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

How about before?

Well for decades before the above provison was added into 16-11-127, nobody acted as if gun shows were public gatherings, even though they appear to be per the language of the statute. Gun shows existed, people brought guns to them, and nobody arrested the attendees or vendors.
    Were they public gatherings before? Are they public gatherings now? IF they're NOT public gatherings now, then there's no need to avail yourself of the "disclose to security officer and follow his instructions" provision in the law.

13. SigP229

SigP229 New Member

Re: How about before?

But some are held in public buildings like here in Savannah.

(b) For the purpose of this Code section, "public gathering" shall include, but shall not be limited to, athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, or establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises. Nothing in this Code section shall otherwise prohibit the carrying of a firearm in any other public place by a person licensed or permitted to carry such firearm by this part.