Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please tell me about your set up for lights and optics. What you are using, how it's mounted, and why you chose that configuration. I am trying to decide what light and optics to put on my new Daniel Defense DDXV EZ and need some input. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Aimpoint, Larue /optics +3x Aimpoint with a Larue swing mount
Solarforce, Larue /light 230 lumen LED

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Since you've got a FSP gas block, I would recommend something like a tube style red dot like an Aimpoint that had a single dot (I've got an Aimpoint CompC3 on the way [SWFA kit with everything needed for $400]). It should be a little further forward. I like my objective lens as close to the end of the upper receiver rail (before the foregrip) as I can get it, but you might like something a little more forward or back.

[BTW, I got the CompC3 due to the price/quality ratio. I don't feel that I will ever need to take the optic under more than 5 feet of water or attach night vision to it, so it didn't make any since to pay more for the Comp M3 or ML3. I also wanted a 2MOA dot for hunting.]

You'll probably want your optic a little high so the irons will be in the lower third of the optic for co-witnessing. I ran that before with an open style red dot and enjoyed it. If you plan to use the gun for multiple applications (I will use mine for whitetail and hogs), it gives you less interference with the sight picture and allows for better aiming IMO. They are both great sights, but I'm looking forward to being able to turn on my red dot and leave it on for a few years.

If I remember correctly, the XVEZ doesn't have any rail ahead of the front sight post since the EZ rail system is made to be a drop in for the standard M4 foregrip. You're a little lacking on rail space, so a vertical grip with a light built into it might be right up your alley. However, they don't run cheap. You could also do an offset or side mount on the side rails to hold a light. Just make sure whatever light you run is quick and easy to operate.

If you ever upgrade the rail to something longer with a hole for the FSP, you can mount the light ahead of it. That way everything is on top of the gun, leaving more space underneath for a standard rifle style grip.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
Puffyfish said:
Aimpoint, Larue /optics +3x Aimpoint with a Larue swing mount
+1 :righton:

I currently have an Aimpoint T1 Micro on a Tall LaRue mount installed in place of the ML3 and the light is from Pentagon:

I LOVE LaRue's mounts! 8)

I keep my red dot mounted at the front edge of my upper. The further forward its mounted, the wider the field of view is for the shooter, compared to having it all the way back in your face. It's also easy to remember it's exact position on the upper rail whenever I remove and install it.

The Aimpoint 3X is great, ( especially on LaRue's pivot mount ) because I can shoot in CQB mode and by either canting the rifle and looking through the 3X alone or quickly pivoting it in tandem with the red dot, I can get a much better view of more distant targets. For me, the difference between shooting with the red dot + 3X and shooting with the red dot alone is that with the 3X in tandem with the red dot, I can pick either a head or torso hit on a human sized target at 100yds or so, versus just getting hits somewhere in that general area with the red dot alone. 3X doesn't sound like much, but it can and does make a difference. :wink:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, Aimpoint seems the way to go. For my purposes (HD, range fun, apocalypse), which Aimpoint would be best? Also, I've replaced my DD rear BUIS with a Troy DOA folding BUIS so that I don't have to co-witness unless I want to. What are the advantages/disadvantages of co-witnessing?

Hunley, you are correct. I don't have any rail space in front of my front sight and have been thinking about a Surefire G2 with a 200 lumen bulb. I've seen vertical grips that will hold the G2, but they are expensive and I'm not sure that I really want a vertical grip. Primary Arms has a G2 package that includes the G2, a 200 lumen bulb, a Gear Sector mount, and Primary Arms pressure switch for $99.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
Melissa5 said:
Well, Aimpoint seems the way to go. For my purposes (HD, range fun, apocalypse), which Aimpoint would be best?
Depends on what kind of battery/battery life you want and what overall size of sight you want.

Small:
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactic ... bok?no=149

Medium:
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactic ... bok?no=184
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactic ... .bok?no=20

Large:
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactic ... bok?no=159
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactic ... bok?no=226

I own all three of these models. I like the M4S because it uses a standard AA battery and has an 8 year battery life with one battery, but the overall size of this sight is a bit big. I currently have the T1 Micro because it's small, but still has a 5 year battery life.

I also prefer LaRue's cantilever mounts for the ML2/3s:
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactic ... .bok?no=37

GG&G makes a cantilever mount for the M4/M4S:
http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=215&parents=69,70

Ah! I finally got off my lazy bum and took some new pics of my AR, ( one of them, any ways :wink: )

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the links, armtguy. I went by Clydes and looked at the T-1 and it was a nice size and weight. I'll have to save my pennies for that one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Watch Midway for the Aimpoint R1, Its the silver one but Krylon fixes that. They just blew a bunch out for 300.00 and rumor has it will be dumping more of them soon.

As for the light I have the primary G2 package but with the Vltor mount and love it. If you do run a forward grip Primary Arms also sells a tape switch for the G2.

I have an Aimpoint R1, Eotech XPS and a few of Primary Arms different red dots. All in all I like the Primary Arms the best for the value and the quality.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ExKalifornian said:
Watch Midway for the Aimpoint R1, Its the silver one but Krylon fixes that. They just blew a bunch out for 300.00 and rumor has it will be dumping more of them soon.

As for the light I have the primary G2 package but with the Vltor mount and love it. If you do run a forward grip Primary Arms also sells a tape switch for the G2.

I have an Aimpoint R1, Eotech XPS and a few of Primary Arms different red dots. All in all I like the Primary Arms the best for the value and the quality.
I was also looking at Primary Arms and am happy to hear your praise for them. Do you have their Micro Dot or reflex sight? Also, I will give the Vltor mount a look.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I have a Primary Arms M4 (multi reticle) clone and its great. Retains zero very well, you cant beat it for the price and i dont think you will find many people with bad things to say about them who actually own Primary Arms stuff, but the Aimpoint\Eotech fanboys trash talk them. Check out the reviews on Ar15.com forums, hundreds of positive reviews, nuff said. :righton:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't made a decision on the optics, but I did purchase a Streamlight TLR-3 and a Magpul vertical grip. The more I thought about it, I wanted something small and lightweight. If I don't like the Streamlight on the AR, I plan to put it on my G30SF.

Does anyone have experience with Trijicon reflex sights?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
The Trjicon Reflex is a good sight but they do have an issue with the dot washing out and becoming invisible under certain lighting conditions. It's especially noticeable if you are in a dark place like the woods and looking or moving to a brightly lit clearing.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I don't have a dedicated RDS at this time, but I will soon. Looking at the Eotech XPS-2. But for now I'm using irons.

The light is a Surefire G2LED in a VTAC mount (I have these on both my carbines). Very satisfied with the light and it performed well in the class I took.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The best bang for the buck in new red dot optics right now is the Aimpoint C3. It's the same as the M/ML 2and 3 series but you can't take it scuba diving or run night vision with it (like the MLs). I've been lucky and run across great deals on used Aimpoints, usually with Larue mounts. As for mounts, the Larue's are the way to go. I subscribe to the buy once, cry once philosophy and it hasn't let me down yet. I've played with Eothingy's, but they're finnicky and aren't the most reliable long term with usage. Sitting in a safe anything will work.

For lights I will admit I'm a Surefire snob. I think the X300 is one of the best all around weapons lights in existence. I've run them on pistols, carbines and seen them on shotguns. Their size, output, run time and switches make it pretty hard to match. Again, used ones can be found at good prices if you look hard enough. I've had one mounted an inch from the muzzle on a 10.5" SBR for quite some time now with no issues. If you're on a budget for lights, the Surefire G2 and a VTAC mount is the best way to go. They're both cheap, rugged and work. The VTAC mount allows for a variety of ways to mount to a rail system. For a short rail, it's what I'd recommend.

The camera battery is charging but I'll try and get pictures of the X300 and G2 setups to see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
RepeatDefender said:
I don't have a dedicated RDS at this time, but I will soon. Looking at the Eotech XPS-2. But for now I'm using irons.

The light is a Surefire G2LED in a VTAC mount (I have these on both my carbines). Very satisfied with the light and it performed well in the class I took.
I just got a VTAC mount but im really dissapointed in it. It seems more well suited to mounting on the top rail like you did, i wanted one to go on the side rail and drop it down so I can activate the light while holding a vertical grip. The problem is it holds the light way too low and close to the rail for my vert grip (magpul RVG). if i adjust the light so its easy to reach from the vert grip the flashlight is in the way of where my hand goes and my fingers get jammed up against the light in recoil, way uncomfortable, just my $.02 if anyone is trying to drop a light down to use while holding a vertical grip, maybe others have good luck with the VTAC, but i know on my setup (Troy drop in rails, magpul RVG grip, 1" tube LED) its a no-go for a side mount.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts