AR15 Build

Discussion in 'How to' started by ptsmith24, Aug 21, 2007.

1. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

For my AR build, I'm going to put everything in this thread for now. I can start by listing what I ordered.

My cost stands at $756.64 for:

--Stripped Lower from Anvil Arms
    --Transfer Fee/Shipping
    --LPK/Upper (A2 Buttstock, C.A.R. HG, 16" Chrome-lined HBAR Barrel, GG&G M.A.D. rear sight)
    -- 2 magazines with anti-tilt followers
    --Tools (Pein hammer, small punch, needle nose pliers)

The lower is scheduled for delivery to my FFL tomorrow (Monday) and the upper/LPK should be here by the end of the week. I'll be detailing the build with pictures. I plan on doing the build this weekend.

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Lower received on Monday (20 AUG 2007)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

If you would, could you give us some background into you decision to build an AR (aside from the obvious "it would be cool to do")? Is there a cost savings to building it yourself? Tell us about your selection of parts and accessories. Did you develop a scope document or work breakdown structure for this project?

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Well, the cost isn't a huge deal with building vs. buying factory. With building you can avoid the excise tax but don't get a full rifle warranty (although the parts can have warranties on them). I think mainly what made me want to build was the pride of doing it myself. As far as the configuration I chose, I like the feel/look of the A2 stock and I chose the chrome-lined heavy barrel for durability (it's also chambered in 5.56 NATO in case I want to shoot that round; in other words, I have a choice between .223 or 5.56NATO). I've read a little bit about them, but Chris at Semper Fi Arms helped explain some of the other options. The reason I started with this particular package is because it's what I quoted on another site and Chris matched the offer. Hope that helps.

5. Ashe

Ashe New Member

I'm just writing this post so I can watch this thread.

Although at some point I'll post an AR build up here and show off a few tricks and stuff

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Just to let you know, I don't think you have to post to "watch the topic for replies". I assume that's what you meant? Watch it as in get emailed upon new replies? There's a link on the bottom left of the page called "Watch this topic for replies" (under the "new topic" and "post reply" buttons and page x of x).

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

2 Magazines received today (22 AUG 2007)

Pictures to follow shortly.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Kit is scheduled to arrive today (24 AUG 2007). Pictures will be up later on.

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

The entire build took me about 1.5 hours. I got into building the lower, so I didn't take step-by-step pictures. I used AR15.com's guide here. The process is very straightforward. Some of the springs/detents are tricky. But, other than that, things went smoothly.

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Pictures are on the way.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Upper and Completed Lower:

[​IMG]

14. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Complete Rifle w/o BUIS:

[​IMG]

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

16. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I thought you went with the M16 stock?

Anyway, that's a very nice looking rifle there... makin' me jealous.

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, I originally had the A2 stock on the order, but I received the 6 position. I like it, though. If I want the A2 length, there's always that option.