AR upgrade help

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Khondker, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Khondker

Khondker Member

Me bolt action hunting rifle guy need lots of AR 15 help.

My S&W M&P Sport II has 16 inch barrel, want to upgrade the handguard and buttstock.

What size handguard I need, carbine or mid size, also do I need to buy any specific buttstock.

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Carbine

Are you changing the buffer tube or just the stock that fits on it?

If you are not changing the buffer tube most stocks will fit but there are some exceptions. COL stocks are usually very easy to swap from COL to COL. Fixed stocks require just slightly more work as they are screwed on with a single screw that you have to remove.

3. tbill

tbill Member

I believe your hand guard will be carbine length. I looked on the S&W's website and couldn't find whether your buffer tube is commercial or mil-spec. You can figure it out pretty easily by removing the stock and measuring the buffer tube. Mil-spec is 1.146, commercial is 1.17 in cross section. I highly recommend MagPul hand guards. They are easy to install and have excellent heat shielding, plus attachments are easy using the m-lock system. Hope this helps.

4. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Using my S&W 15T as the standard....
    Handguard is standard 'carbine/m4' length
    Receiver extension (aka buffer tube) is mil-spec diameter as opposed to commercial.
    If you want to replace the adjustable stock with a fixed-length one you will either need a spacer or a new tube in addition to a new rifle buttstock.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  5. Khondker

Khondker Member

Thanks everyone.

Went to Bullseye (Lawrenceville) and bought Magpul carbine size handguard and mil-spec buttstock, also, the sales guy in store told me the same thing you guys did after he looked at one of the S&W M&P Sport II.

6. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

If you had taken your rifle with you he might have even put them on for you. Most gun shops have the tools and the experience to take care of it and teach you at the same time. All in the name of customer service.

AAR you're Welcome and if you need any more AR15 help or advice this is the place.

7. tbill

tbill Member

Happy to help if I can. We all started somewhere and had to ask for help. I warn you upgrading ar-15 rifles often leads to building and building is like eating peanuts. It's hard to quit once you start.

8. Khondker

Khondker Member

No wonder, I am keep looking at the handgrip came with the gun.

9. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

That would be the next step. Upgrade to one that has a door on it to store a bore snake or other items.

10. tbill

tbill Member

MagPul or Bravo company make several nice ones. Both have storage inside.

11. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

I like the rubber coated ones. And I hate that finger knurl on the "standard" grips. It's just WAY too big and in the wrong place.