AR Questions

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I have found a way to build my own for less than $650 !!! I found a Wilson Arms mil spec complete upper with 16" chrome moly barrel. It comes fuly assembled with complete bolt and carrier assy installed, and includes A-2 or A3 stock and parts kit a lower. $485 + shipping no FFL needed.

From the same company I can get a DPMS stripped lower for $110 + shipping + FFL (approx $145 total). Or Bullseye in Lawrenceville sells stripped Stag lowers for $130.

Richard at Bullseye in Cumming told me that he will assemble it for $20.

Any idea about which lower I should get?

And what's the differece between an A2 and an A3?

The ads give the option of .223 Rem or 5.56 NATO. I thought they were the same?

Who locally has a good price on AR mags? If I wait for the next gun show I won't be able to shoot it on the 16th.

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Hey Ramm,

Is your AR a 16" or 20"? I'm trying to decide which I want and liked the length of yours.

3. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

If you trust that guy to assemble it for you, sounds like a good idea. DPMS is good, Stag is (now) good. You shouldn't go wrong with those lowers.

A2 is a fixed carry handle. A3 is a removable carry handle.

Personally, I would say go with a flat-top and no carry handle. If you're want a carry handle, get the A3 since you'll probably want to remove it later since there are more optic choices that way. My next one I'm getting will be a flat-top. Flip-up iron sights are about 70 bucks and they are more versatile since you can use them to co-witness with a good holo sight. Personal preference on your part. I would say that the A2 is NOT a very popular configuration, but if you can save a few bucks... heck, it may be worth it to you.

Same thing pretty much. 5.56 has higher mil-spec pressures as I understand it. I have shot .223 and 5.56 through my Bushmaster with no problems. I'm don't feel like digging mine out of the safe but I think it says 5.56/.223Rem on it. I'll let someone more knowledgable answer that.

Gun shows or check AR-15... I think most of mine came from "C-products" but I can't remember the exact website.

If you want to shoot it on the 16th, I'm sure people will have mags. I'll bring some extras if you want. If you're undecided on which lower/upper you want, you should test drive some and that is the perfect day. I wasn't going to bring mine, but I will.. it's a vanilla Bushmaster 16" A3.

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

[/quote:2c477316]
    Yup. 5.56 is the more fun version of .223. I have also heard (but not confirmed) that some guns prefer 5.56, though I'm not sure how valid that may be.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Thanks for the answers. I'll ask the guy that's going to assemble it about the .223/5.56 choice. I'll probably go with the A2 for budget reasons. I'll see how much Bernies in Lilburn gets for mags or see how much they are from the company that I'm ordering the Wilson upper kit from.

For plinking use am I better off with the standard or light weight barrel? Or is it just a personal preference?

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

[/quote:2gmjzmbq]

Do you think that I'll be better off ordering my upper for 5.56, so that I can use either one? If I order a .223 Rem upper, will there be a problem with the pressure running 5.56 through it?

7. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

Get the 5.56 with a NATO spec chamber, M4 feed ramps, and a chrome lined barrel. The NATO chamber will be more reliable than a match grade chamber. M4 feed ramps are simply grooves in the upper receiver that match up to grooves on the barrel extension. They guide the rounds from the magazine into the chamber. They were developed for the M4 to increase reliability due to the higher operating forces/pressures incurred by the carbines shorter gas tube. The chrome lined chamber and bore increases reliabilty, durability, and eases cleaning.

Get 1/7 twist rifling if you want to shoot ammo with 65-77 grain bullets. Most standard barrels are 1/9 twist rifling which is designed for the 55-64 grain weight bullets. The heavier bullets are longer and have to be spun faster to stabilize them. Otherwise they will start to yaw and in some cases tumble end over end in flight and you won't hit what you're aiming at.

Here's some guys and links to their websites around Atlanta that I've dealt with and had good experiences with:

Joseph at www.kisermunitions.com

Jason at www.bigdawgtactical.com

They both sell stripped or complete lowers starting at about $100 for Doublestar arms stripped lowers. You can also get LMT, Stag, CMMG, and Sabre Defence brand lowers from them. The CMMG lowers will accept a REGISTERED Drop In Auto Sear if you think you might develop a class 3 habit later on. I have lowers made by Colt, LMT,Stag, Smith and Wesson (made by Stag), and Double Star. They all work fine. The colt uses weird sized FCG pins and cost a lot more though.

Magazines:

Try 44mag.com for good prices and a wide selection. I've had good luck with the new C-Products mags but all the new mags I'm buying are going to be PMAGs from Magpul. Check out these videos at http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=magpul+pmag and you'll see why. Here is a link to a good FAQ about magazines: http://magfaq.tripod.com/ and here's a more concise one: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=163158

have fun! :D

8. tj2000

tj2000 Guest

Not to burst your bubble, if you add sales tax and shipping you are a little over $675. HA, HA, HA,. It is still a great deal.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

If you get a Superior Arms lower for around $100 shipped, and get a Del-Ton kit, and assemble it yourself (easy) you can get away for about $625 I think. This would be for a no-frills 16" A2 though, might be more with the removeable carry handle.

This is the route I'm going, when I get to it. I need to get two stripped lowers in the safe ASAP. Hell I already have 6 mags and dont even have an AR. Am I sick?

There is much discussion about barrel lengths, twist, and chambering, etc. Read up from AR15.com or any of the other sites. CoolHand makes good points about the M4 chamber, twist wrt bullet weights, mags.

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

There are a few other options that I'm looking at also. I have a dealer trying to locate a new 16" Olympic that he can get his hands on for under $650. I found a used 16" Olympic at a local dealer for $649. The same dealer has an Olympic 20" complete upper for $399 and a complete Stag lower w/stock for $239 that I can mate to it.

11. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

You really need to handle the 16 vs 20 vs 24 inchers and see what you like. Get the rifle ot fit the bill for its intended purpose.

My intentions are a 16" A3 with removeable carry handle, mostly ketpt this way but pick up a BUIS and red dot, maybe light laser etc for the house/urban battlefield should the need arise.

Second is a 20" full floater Douglas bull bbl flat-top with a scope, to reach out and touch someone. It'd be nice if this were a 308, too... :) :)

Both have different roles, and will be made to suit each one. Although its never bad to have a few uppers to swap out on one 556 lower....

Anyways if SHTF in the home area I'd be grabbing the underfolder AK and a chinese chest rig with 8 loaded 30 rounders, and I'd be chucking the 12ga pump to the wife.... AR would probably not be my third choice either.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I really liked the feel of the 16" complete rifle that they had. I've already called them back and told them to hold it for me and that I would bring a deposit by after work to hold it until I have the funds Sat to get it.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

When I have permission to "waste money" again (her words not mine), I may get a 9mm upper for it.