AR PIstols +'s &-'s

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by James D, Dec 24, 2019.

1. James D

James D New Member

Got me some Christmas money and looking for something to buy.. Thoughts on AR pistols in general...

Merry Christmas everyone

James

EDIT I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum but I cant move it can a mod accommodate ?

2. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

My personal opinion, they are a gimmick buy a real rifle or nice handgun instead.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I've never shot one in regular pistol configuration.
    I have stood next to people firing 10" barreled .223 pistols before, and they're crazy loud, and the pressure wave slaps you in the face.
    They don't appeal to me as either a fun range toy or as a serious defensive weapon, UNLESS the scenario were that I would be called on to use it from inside a vehicle, or a narrow tunnel dug into the ground, or in a closet. (and then I'd pretty much have to resign myself to being deaf for the rest of my life.)

Actually, I think an AR pistol could be a fun range toy for a little while, a couple range sessions and several hundred rounds, before the novelty wears off.

NOW, ON THE OTHER HAND, I have really enjoyed shooting an AR "pistol" in .300 Blackout wearing a silencer on the muzzle. With an "arm brace" that I shouldered as if it were a stock. That weapon was fun to shoot and quite practical as a defensive arm.

4. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

I'm a fan. I won't be adding any semi auto firearms to a national registry via the NFA. I have a 4" 9mm with a PDW style pistol brace, as well as a 7.5" 5.56 that is a definite flamethrower. I want to built a 10.5" 5.56, a 9" .300 blk and a 12.5" 6.5 grendel. Hopefully before the next election.

5. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Watch out. If Ga follows Va you might be a felon if you own a long gun and a hacksaw.

Nemo

6. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Exactly. I love my Sig 300 with Trijicon Reflex. A fine defensive close in weapon when used as it was not intended. I know a couple of old tunnel rats who would have traded their left nut for one of these pistols.

7. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

This was the reason I opted to go the SBR route with my 10.3" Colts. I don't trust the ATF not to come down one day against these braced pistols and classify them as legal SBRs requiring NFA registration. Braces are nothing more than an open secret and the ATF doesn't like getting poked in the eyes by us dirt peoples. They play too many games with us as witnessed by their latest foolishness with Franklin Armory's Reformation guns.

I also find the real stocks far more comfortable to use. Mine are setup with Trijicon MRO red dot sights and are excellent close quarters weapons and still very useful at 200+ yards.

8. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

I have a 556 and 300 BLK both in 10.5" barrels. They are both suppressed.

The 556 gives off a nice fire ball and blast wave but that's the fun part. Especially with a binary trigger. I have a blast diffuser that fits on the adaptor for shooting unsuppressed on the range. When it is suppressed it is quieter than a 22LR and adds a little bit of muzzle velocity to reach out 300 yrds. It is just as accurate as its big brother just might not have the range.

The 300 is nice to shoot. Scary quiet but expensive to shoot subsonic. At CQB with a suppressor it still has the same energy as a 357 magnum so it is what I use for home defense. With the binary trigger I can put 20 rounds in a 5 in group at 10 yrds in around 2 seconds.

timbrubaker and tmoore912 like this.
  9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Please provide additional details, such as brand of silencer, whether you use any special ammunition to shoot it, &c. I have never heard a 5.56 be suppressed down to the level of shooting a .22lr, so I am curious how you did it. I do not have a lot of experience with silencers on AR15s, but the .300 Blackout I shot was whisper quiet. The 5.56, not so much. Still needed ear protection. I shoot .22 lr from a rifle without hearing protection. Can a 5.56 be made that quiet today?

10. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Not sure about the 5.56 but my .308 with my home made suppressor is. All you really hear is the supersonic crack. Very hearing safe according to gunsmoker. On an aside I have heard 5.56 suppressed that was not as quiet as my .308. 300 blackout subsonic is easy to make quiet.

blind_shake likes this.
  11. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

Technically a .22 lr unsuppressed is hearing tolerable but it is NOT hearing safe.

No suppressor on the market reduces 5.56 to hearing safe dB levels, but it is hearing tolerable. You are still damaging your hearing if you fire a supersonic rifle round suppressed without hearing protection. Anything over 85 dB is considered damaging to your hearing with repeated or extended use. A .22 supersonic unsuppressed is 140 dB. Supersonic centerfire rifle rounds through a suppressor are still around 130-150 dB depending on caliber and suppressor quality.

12. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

It's funny in a way that everybody I've ever talked to that used a 5.56 as a tool in a work environment just does not recall the noise of the weapon. There is that constant ringing in the ears though.:D

13. StarJack

StarJack Well Aged Member

I'm starting the process of investigating either a 300BK pistol or SBR. It's a vast market now! I have one of the early Bushmaster Carbon 15 pistols in 556 from early 2005. It's been fun, but it's LOUD, pinned brake, and I'm just tired of it.

Never had a 300BK so started looking into it. I found the video below-containing data that contradicts a lot of what you hear about that round. (Imagine that, see my sig!)

I'm leaning towards pistol over SBR, but it's too early to bet more than a cheap lunch on what I wind up doing. I'm trying to relax and enjoy the learning phase so I don't make a $2 or 3K decision I end up regretting.

I'm a member of the Johns Creek gun range. If anyone with the type of weapon discussed in this thread would care to meet up there and share some trigger time, I'll pay for some ammo, and I'd be happy to toss in a lunch/dinner as a thank you.

14. moe mensale

My ringing is limited to one ear (left) fortunately. I was in this little narrow depression or "valley" and lit off a .30-06 from a Rem 700. Damn was that loud. Five decades latter and we're like old friends. :lol:

15. moe mensale

Not speaking for blind_shake but yes it can. Years ago I had a 16" Colt with an AWC Technologies Raider can using Engel Ballistic Research subsonic 5.56mm ammo. This particular ammo does not cycle the action. You have a single shot semi-auto requiring manual cycling for each shot. You heard the hammer fall, a small "pop" out the muzzle and maybe a "thunk" at the target, depending what it was. Hearing protection was not required.

I tested it using my neighbor (back in FL) as an unknowing participant. We had a small pond in back of our houses with the far end about 100 yards away. He was outside about 20 yards off to my side. I was on the porch. When he wasn't looking directly at me I took a shot over the pond into the far embankment. He never flinched.

The EBR ammo is fairly expensive and as mentioned doesn't cycle. But it definitely has its niche purpose.

upload_2019-12-27_9-48-55.png

https://ebrammo.com/556-x-45mm-nato-ultra-stealth-match-subsonic

16. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

MP I am shooting a 10.5" 1:9 bbl with a surefire brake and a SOCOM R2 suppressor. I tested is at 129-132db. (Anything above 135-140 is not hearing safe). An unsuppressed 22lr is on average 145db. I shoot my 556 suppressed without ear pro all day.

To caveat my statement, I am referring to the report, not the supersonic crack.

If we ever have a GPDO shoot I will let you shoot it. Lol

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, blind_shake, I will definitely take you up on that. And thanks for sharing all of the details as well.

blind_shake likes this.