Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

AR-15 or Sig 556?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been discussed, but up to date feedback is always nice.

I'm looking to get more into CQC style shooting so while attempting to sell my .308 rifle, someone has offered me a straight trade for a Sig 556 with all the bells and whistles.

I was really wanting to get a 16" AR - but I've heard some good things about the Sig.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have learned from my trade experience that you should not settle for an offer that you can make yourself think will satisfy your wants. If your heart is set on something you should probaly stick with it or you will end up with regret wishing you just would of stuck with your heart. Anywayyyys, I voted for the AR-15 because its an AR-15. Simple as I have no hands on with a Sig so you could say I am biased! Anyways hope it helps and good luck.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Save the money on the 556 and buy a Daniel Defense AR-15. You'll have a top of the line carbine that works, easy to get parts for, is lighter, more accurate and a better quality firearm.

Sig has had QC issues for the last 5 years that should never get out of the factory, but when you don't test fire your firearms that tends to happen.

I could go on and on, but the AR-15 is the king of the market for a reason.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
As much as I love Sigs, yes I carry one daily, some of the "newer" guns they have produced have not really been up to par, as far as reliability. I think Sigs newer management cut some corners, looked for ways to save a dime, and their products have suffered.

Not only that, I'd wait and let them get the kinks out of all of their new guns before I would buy one.

I would save your money and get a Daniel Defense M4. You cannot beat it. JMHO.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I bought a slightly used Sig 556 a few years back. It's not my 1st, 2nd,.......or 8th choice of go to rifle. Get an AR.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I like the SIG556 don't get me wrong...But I have to go with the AR platform.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
AR-15, as others have put it...it's like legos for grown-ups :lol:

Seriously, I love my AR. Lightweight, accurate, easy to customize to my purpose, accessories available, etc, etc, etc

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Depends on what you want to do. If you are going to piston it at some point for CQC type stuff, get the 556 and save yourself some hassle. The AR is great, though. I have a DD M4v5 that I wouldn't doubt to take to whatever so long as I have the stuff to keep it clean.

·
Registered
760 Posts
what type of .308 do you have?

the AR is a gun that needs to be run wet. the sig is a direct descendent of the AK, same piston rotating bolt design, so it inherits the AK's robustness. Actually the sig is the best of both the AK & AR. it's got the clam shell reciever design of the AR so it accepts optics just like an AR, whereas the AK's top cover was never suitable for optics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts