AR 15 Scope Question

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by jisaiah14, Jun 21, 2016.

1. jisaiah14

jisaiah14 New Member

Hey guys and gals. I just have a quick question for you all. I just recently purchased an AR for hunting and I am wanting to get a scope (something like a 3-9x40) for it. I had purchased a UTC scope for it, but had to send it back as it wasn't holding consistent grouping. My question is if you all could point me towards a good scope manufacturer, or even a good model. I have about a $200 (maybe $250) budget for the scope.

I found two "Bushnell AR Optics Drop Zone-223 BDC Reticle Riflescope with Target Turrets and Side Parallax, 3-12x 40mm" and the "Nikon P-223 3x32 Matte BDC Carbine" but I wonder if those are good scopes for what I will be using them for. Do you guys have any personal preferences? I just have no idea at all when it comes to scopes lol.

My preference would be to have a scope that I could still use my iron sights with, but that isn't a deal breaker if it can't be done.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  2. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Hunting what and where? Assuming you are talking deer which is what most folks are thinking when your talking centerfire rifles, I find that a 3x scope has a little too much magnification for hunting in thick woods. That is why you see a lot of hunting rifles with open rings.

I prefer a lower powered scope. I hunted for years with a Leupold Vari x III 1.5-5 x 20. In fact I just ordered a mount to move that scope over to my AR.

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Thumbnut-SPR-1-Inch-Mount/dp/B00AU6DDTY

The Nikon P-223 and Bushnell scopes have a good reputation but I don't own one.

The only practical way I have seen to still use your iron sights on an AR while the scope is mounted is to use offset irons.

3. 175FO

175FO Member

Bushnell actually makes a good scope for the money. I would also check out the Leupold Mark AR series of scopes, they're a little bit more expensive then what you're asking for, but worth it.

4. Casual User

Casual User Member

You didn't mention what you are going to be hunting, and at what range, but unless you are going to be shooting at small targets out to 4-500 yards, I'd stay away from the 3x9x40 and such. Before I lost it in a tragic boating accident, my AR had a Leopold VX-R 1.25x4x20 and it worked just fine, even with my 60 year old eyes. There are similar products out there more in your price range from other reputable firms that would do just fine. Don't skimp on the mount.

5. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Primary Arms and Vortex have a decent reputation at that price point.

If you're not going to be hunting for a few months I'd try to save a little more cash if possible. You never regret spending a little extra on optics in the end.

6. jisaiah14

jisaiah14 New Member

Deer. Max range would probably be around 100 yards mostly, but could go up to maybe 200 yards sometimes if hunting a field.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

WHAT?!?!

Don't you know it will vaporize any game?

8. Casual User

Casual User Member

I don't have any specific recommendations, but spend the money on optical and construction quality, and not on things like magnification or fancy BDC gizmos. .223 is pretty flat at that range and 4x magnification is about all you need. Pay more attention to things like eye relief. Worst mistake I ever made on optics was a Leupold VariX III 3.5x10x50 I mounted on a deer rifle. It was way too much magnification, and the 50mm objective meant it needed high rings.

9. jisaiah14

jisaiah14 New Member

Yea, that is why I was thinking maybe the 3x32 would be best. Idk. I think a good starting base will be to go to my local outdoor store and see a few scopes and compair them to the AR to get a good size and such.

10. Casual User

Casual User Member

Pretty marginal on deer, but it's legal. It's not something I would do, and I wouldn't encourage anyone else. However, it is legal.

11. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

For me, for hunting............I prefer at least 7-8 power magnification for shots at game (hogs or deer) in the 100 to 200 yard range.

12. bulldog 44

bulldog 44 Member

I have a Bushnell 3200 elite1.5x4 on one ar (5.56) and a leupold 1.5 x4 on another(6.8spc ) both with lighted reticles. They both work well at average hunting distances in Ga. I very seldom use anything other than low power in the woods.

13. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

14. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

This. Unbeatable for the money. True 1.00x is important on an AR. You can operate it as a pseudo-Aimpoint and a mid-range scope all in one optics package.