Applying for a Non-Res CWL

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by ICP_Juggalo, Jul 23, 2006.

1. YES

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I have been pondering it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

I have been pondering the idea of applying for a Non-Res Concealed Weapon or Firearm License from another state, namely Florida. The reason I have chosen Florida as a possible candidate is because of their aggressive reciprocity status( I hopefully would like to see South Carolina get reciprocity so I can then go back to Myrtle Beach :( ). The Florida CWFL has 7 more reciprical states than Georgia and when ever a new state becomes RTC or amends their reciprocity law, Florida is there on the frontline ready to sign them up.

I was wondering if anyone else here holds a Non-Res CWL from another state? If anyone else was thinking about getting a Non-Res CWL from another state which one would you choose and why? Thanks

2. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I was looking at the Utah permit at one point since you could appearantly meet the educational requirements online, but I think they had a change in Utah law a few months back that eliminated that loophole.

How difficult is Florida's permit to obtain? Is there a site with the requirements?

3. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

FL is fairly easy to obtain in terms of process (all by mail). The only additional substantitve requirement over GA's that I recall is the training requirement. A lot of things qualify, including a hunter safety course. You have to include documentation of completing the course with the application. FL also requires a picture, but that's not hard to do.

4. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I have a FL. The training requirement involves actually firing a weapon so the GA hunter safety won't qualify.

I still think Utah is a better deal long term because of the renewal costs and several more state agreements. I will probably go Utah next time if I can find a qualified instructor.

5. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

FL -- I don't recall seeing the firing requirement. The hunter safety course I took almost 35 years ago had a range component, but FL had no way of knowing that when they accepted that course for my FL permit. Perhaps the FL hunter safety course has a range part, and FL assumes that every state's does?

UT -- I've read that UT instructors are few and far between outside of UT, but I have not looked for one.

6. ber950

ber950 Active Member

7. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Ah. The answer might be in the first item on the list of the linked site:

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

This leads me to believe that GA's course ought to be accepted.

8. ber950

ber950 Active Member

By the way FL has no trouble getting there permits out on time. Maybe they have connections with the FBI or maybe they just do their job.

9. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Agreed. Mine was issued promptly.

10. ICP_Juggalo

I received the application packet today in the mail. Also included in the packet is a booklet containing the relevant Florida statues to carrying a concealed weapon and use of force laws. It is really nice, I wish the probate courts here would do the same thing :roll:

According to FLA statute 790.06 (h) 1. A hunter's safety certificate seems to satisfy the training requirement. I will find out soon enough. As far as actually firing a round, we dry fired alot of dummy rounds in my hunter safety class. Does that count?

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Apparently, Utah's is so popular that the majority of applications this year are from nonresidents.

Here is an article complaining about their budget:

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4085451

They call it a de facto national permit.

Now if only South Carolina would cooperate.

12. ICP_Juggalo

Went to the mailbox today and low and behold there was an envelope from the FL dept of agriculture in there. Opened it up and there was my shiny new concealed weapons and firearm license. Also included was a pamphlet pertaining to the use of deadly force and a letter with the reciprocity agreements with other states and places off limits.

I sent the application packet in on July 27 and they received it on August 1st. The license has an issue date of September 5th. So that is what, about 36 days to issue from the date of application? give or take a few days for the mail.

In addition to the helpful literature pertaining to the CWFL and issuing the license in less than 60 days (even though FL law says within 90 days) The state of Florida puts Georgia to shame :shakehead:

What a joke this state's laws are :screwy:

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Department of Agriculture - that cracks me up!

14. ICP_Juggalo

Maybe we should turn our GFL system over to Tommy Irvin. Anything is got to be better than these jack-booted probate judges...

One more thing, the commissioner of the Dept. Of Agriculture in Florida is Charles Bronson. How cool is that! Having a Gunslinger/Westerner superstar's name on your weapons license.

15. RedBeard

RedBeard New Member

I have NH, PA, and FL in addition to my GFL. The FL was obtained as a resident but is still good now that I am no longer a resident. It still has my FL address on it but FL doesnt make you get a new one unless you want to. I will probably wait until I have an address that will last long enough to make it worth it. You do have to let them know your new address though.

A hunter safety course will fit the bill for the training requirement. Any state's hunter safety course is good with the FL FWCC and that is what they are basing is off of. Of course, they are doing so because FL FWCC hunter safety does have a range section(was learning to teach it when I left).

I think I used my Alabama course I took when I was kid to get my FL license.

The FL Dept of Ag and Consumer Affairs handles most of the professional licenses handled by the Sec of State here in GA. So you would get your barber's license from them as well.

The one drawback to the FL license is the expense. It is expensive, especially when you add in the cost of getting fingerprinted and having passport photos taken.

My PA permit is coming up for renewal soon. Is Danny Nau still the Sheriff in Centre Co? Anyone had any trouble getting their PA permit? I have the PA permit just to give the Sheriff in Centre Co a few extra bucks.

16. tony218

tony218 New Member

maybe i'm missing it, but where do you get a
    non-res app. from fl. ?

17. RedBeard

RedBeard New Member

It is the same app. Just go to the following and request the application. They will send all the other pamplets with it.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/license/forms.html

"Concealed weapon or firearm application"

18. ForeverInDebt

ForeverInDebt New Member

Non res

I have both FL and NH in addition to my GFL.

I took a hunter safety class here in GA to satisfy the training requirement. Florida doesn't appear to check whether or not you actually did fire live rounds and seems to accept the GA hunter safety card without question.