Applied for GFL in Cherokee today

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by Claire, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Claire

Claire New Member

When I finally figured out the probate suite 340 was in the Cherokee County Justice center...

I got the application - then went over to the detention (exit 14 off 575) center to get figure printed - while I was there waiting for about 5 mins for the guy to finish printing someone in front of me - I filled out the application. They'll do finger printing from 7am - 11pm

He had to use ink cause the computer was down.
    2 cards got printed in about 10 mins

we went back over to the probate office
    I showed the lady my GA ID & verizon wireless bill to prove residence
    paid $24 money order to GBI and $15 cash

she said thank you - it could take 3-6 months

2. Wiley

Wiley New Member

WITH INK????????

:ttiwwp: :rotfl2:

Congratulations! Hope it's faster than 3-6 months!

(You knew very few on this board could leave that one alone.)

3. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Nice going Claire! I got mine in about 70+ days from Cherokee at this time last year.

4. Claire

Claire New Member

I did say "3-6 months? it should read 60 days" I didn't get an answer :roll:
    I'll be calling the probate office in about 75 days if I don't see anything in my mailbox.

over all everyone I dealt with were very pleasant

I had to empty my pockets and leave my knife(s) in my vehicle
    the justice center building has metal detectors to walk thru

i was going to take a pic of the sign that said "marriage & firearm Licenses" ha!

and I'm going to guess the money order rule is due to bad checks being passed - there was a flyer on the window in the probate office that there's been an increase in bad checks for marriage licenses

5. pro2am

pro2am New Member

What a great way to start off life together...

6. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I would call on day 61.

7. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Do they still use the old, old form that requires SSN and empyloyment info?

Do they still include the extra sheets that say it will take 3-6 months and that the GFL no longer exempts one from the NICS check?

8. Claire

Claire New Member

Yes & Yes

I chuckled at most of it
    and since I'm self employed - I always joke that I haven't figured out what I wanna be when I grow up :p

9. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

:shock:

Did you provide them both?

10. chainsaw123

chainsaw123 GPDO Supporter

so what would happen if I go to apply for mine in cherokee and tell them that the ssn & employment info is not a requirement for getting a GFL? Could they turn me down based on my ommitance if both pieces of info? What would my legal recourse be? I had my concealed carry permit from Alaska that just expired last month and has written on the face of it "NICS EXEMPT". Would I stand a chance of getting my license here if I didnt include SSN & work info?

11. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Your AK permit is irrelevant, regardless of what it says on it. The GFL application process has no provision for licenses from another state. You should not be denied a GFL for omitting your SSN and employment information, because the law does not require them. If you were denied, on that basis, you would have a pretty good case against the probate court.

12. chainsaw123

I guess I was referencing my AK license to say that I had been through the NICS check and could buy guns without the instant background check or waiting period. At least in AK.

now my question would be what are the "reciprical agreements" between certain states for?

13. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

The reciprocal agreements are so licensed residents of one state can enjoy the privileges of the licensed resident of another state, when visiting in that other state. They have nothing to do transfers of residence and applications for new licenses. Your AK license is good everywhere an AK license is accepted, except in GA (assuming you now are a GA resident). GA law requires its residents to obtain GFLs. There is no grace period as there is with DLs. The fact that you have gone through a NICS check before will mean nothing to them. They will run it again.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

They will try to pressure you into giving it anyway.

No.

Begging pretty please or a lawsuit.

Certainly. Neither item is required by the law or the current state forms.

15. chainsaw123

thank you all for clarifying this.

16. carvnthetwisties

carvnthetwisties New Member

Went to the probate court today to see if I could get my gfl started today. The lady at the window went through the information and told me I needed proof of my ssn. I asked if she was sure, she said yes, that I needed to show them my ssn. So I just walked away.

Thomas

17. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Happen to get the name of the person that waited on you?

18. carvnthetwisties

carvnthetwisties New Member

Nope, I was so shocked that I couldn't even think straight.

19. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:shakehead: