Appleseed Orientation Questions

Discussion in 'Training' started by Rugerer, May 10, 2017.

1. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

My wife and I signed up for an Appleseed weekend while at #NRAAM2017 (Martin, 6/3)

The big question I have involves the "USGI sling".

We mean to bring two Ruger American .22 bolt action rifles and two AR-15 pattern rifles.

Should we buy basic webbing slings without the shoulder pad stuff? I was looking at those in a Dick's store. But, something I read sounded like an Appleseed event would have slings for sale. Would we wait and buy one there?

I also have a padded Vickers Adjustable Combat Sling with QD attachments for an AR. Is that suitable, or do we need to consider the basic webbing sling for the ARs as well? If so, what?

The Ruger rimfires have Nikon 3-9 rimfire scopes. Are those accepted or are iron sights really recommended? My thought was to see both worlds with scope on .22 and peep sights on ARs.

I'll be grateful for any advice, sling or otherwise, to make our first Appleseed a success. I am so looking forward to learning.

2. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Not that I've ever done Appleseed but....
    An online search seems to imply that the preferred sling is an "M14" sling in either leather or webbing with the quick-adjust keeper and a quick release on the tail end.
    [​IMG]

-courtesy of Apppleseed Info which seems to have some pretty good info on it.

Last edited: May 10, 2017

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

yep

Yep, Falls nailed it.

Do NOT, I repeat NOT buy a nylon sling.

Get the real cotton ones. They aren't so slippery.

Don't wear nylon or polyester as your outer garment that day. That material is slippery.

You want the sling to have some friction on the surface of your supporting arm.

Leather slings that have brass hardware with a set of hooks (like viper fangs) that engage twin rows of holes on the other side of the sling are what the top highpower rifle shooters use, but for Appleseed and for 99% of the shooters out there, even though who make Rifleman easily, a GI web sling with the quick-adjustable buckle is fine.

4. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

What falls and gs said. And use the scope, definitely.

5. You need a sling like this one ....

CMP SLING

A bolt action is going to be less than ideal since you'll break position running the bolt. The AR's are going to be expensive to run only to shoot at 25M. If you could borrow a 10/22, that is the way to go.

6. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Thanks for the tips! Now I understand better why I've seen a number of rifles that quick detach only the stock-end of a sling. I'm looking at ordering a couple now. Never would have thought about cotton vs nylon either.

7. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

USGI as in US Govt Issue, Standard military issue rifle sling. Think the woven cotton thing that came with the Garand M1 rifle.

Nemo

8. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Red Hill Range in Martin appears to be 100yds. Would we be doing any 100yd shoots?

9. Nemo

Your best bet, take your 10-22. You will most likely be shooting at 25meters, at their target marked with comparative size targets on it for longer ranges.

Go to their website and look it over well. Should get all your questions answered. The 3 links below should answer 98% of your questions. Top one directly relates to your shoot.

Nemo

https://appleseedinfo.org/location/?locationid=755

https://appleseedinfo.org/

http://appleseedinfo.org/wp-content...to-Bring-to-an-Appleseed-Shoot_Updated_05.pdf

10. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

I scored a Marksman 169, 1 point short of Sharpshooter, with bolt action.

The sitting position is hard for me. I haven't figured that one out yet.

11. Nemo

:applause:

Nemo

12. ken grant

ken grant New Member

Riflemans Boot Camp

At 69 yrs. old, I attended the very first RBC at the RWVA home range and got my Rifleman Badge . Camped on the range 10 days and had a great time and meet some great people.
    Boy , did it wear me down and took a week of rest to get over it.

I shot a Federal Ord. M14A and used over 1600 rds. of 7.62 ammo.

I also attended the very first Ga. Appleseed with my youngest son and grandson. It was another first , 3 generations at an Appleseed .

I shot the same M14A , my son shot my AR and my grandson shot my 10/22 LTR I fixed up with Tech sights.

I got tired on Sunday and let my son shoot my M14A and my grandson shoot the AR and I kinda helped Cabinboy ( Peter White ) run the range section we were using.

A great time was had by all

13. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Well, second day I had the pressure of beating my score, unlike the first time, where I just tried to do the best they taught us. Therefore, 158 and 161, with stupid mistakes. Drop the full mag on round 3 as if I was in the 2 mag stage, mag in backwards on a mag change of another stage, mag won't drop free, etc. 10/22 box mags are not made for quick change. Instructors were having fun watching our bolt work.

It's a weird feeling to look at a 6" plate at 100 yards and think "that's big" and hit it.

Plus nice story telling about three strikes of the match and the man in the GCO logo, Capt John Parker.

Every one should go to an Appleseed.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  14. Nemo

Try some of the Ruger brand 25 round count mags. They work well.

Its more weird to think of what you did wrong (and knew better) and what they teach you for you to get to the part where-- thats big and hit it.

Yes, if you give this guy and me (no matter how little, I call it in here) go to an Appleseed. If you do not get your Rifleman patch, you will be hooked to go back.

I think no charge for repeats. I could be wrong there.

Nemo

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  15. I got you beat .... I went to Stage 3 (rapid prone) with 2 mags with 2 bullets in each. Ooops.

Two tips ..... get an extended mag release Volquartsen Extended Magazine Release. You should be able to slam your hand onto the release and the mag will drop.

Second Tip: practice at home magazines changes. Get slinged up, get into NPOA, then drop a mag and reload it. Getting smooth at that maneuver will save alot of time. Whenever I can't finish a stage, its always because I fobbed the mag change.

16. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

The wife mentioned today how much she keeps thinking of and missing Appleseed. :)