Apparently this cop used to be a bull rider *VID*

Discussion in 'In the News' started by mzmtg, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely justified.

Thanks for posting that. Much better quality video than usual.

2. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

http://www.wcpo.com/mostpopular/story.a ... 7bb372f02d

3. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

I'm not disagreeing, but could you expand on that... what made it justified. It was difficult for me to absorb what was happening in the video in the last moments. I would assume your LEO experience allows to process the data much more quickly than I would. mzmtg's post about an officer being struck by the vehicle seems to provide some basis. I'd just like to hear your thoughts.

4. GACop

GACop Member

The officer is on the hood of the car because he was ran over. He was about the third officer that the bad guy hit with the car. He faces a couple of choices:

1. Shoot and stop the threat.

2. Try and jump off and clear of the car and hope the guy doesn't run him over and kill him.

3. Stay on the hood of the car and hang on for the ride.

Given that the guy has already ran over multiple cops and cop cars, his intentions are clear. I agree. The shooting was completely justified.

5. gizmo5

gizmo5 New Member

Is it just me or do others see the cop jump up on top of the car BEFORE the head lights started moving forward.

It is in my personal opinion, after carefully reviewing the video, that the police officer climbed on top of the hood BEFORE the gas pedal was hit. I do not think he was hit by the car, he simply made a move to gain a clear and distinctive opportunity for a head shot.

I’m not disputing whether or not he needed to be shot, I just wanted to clear that up. :wink:

poop has been stirred... :popcorn:

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

:exactly:

7. gizmo5

gizmo5 New Member

A third officer was struck by the car as it lunged forward.

He was slammed onto the car's roof and then fired additional shots into the car to get it to stop.

hmmmmmm :?

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

watched the end again... The officer, with gun drawn, kneeling on the hood, I think the second that V8 revved that he would have been justified, even if that was the first stop. The fact that the dead guy had just smashed into another cruiser 20 seconds before that just seals it.

9. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

[​IMG]

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I will give you that it was not moving, but not nessicarily before the gas pedal being hit.

The Carlo had a police cruiser shoved into the side of it could mean that the gas pedal was being depressed and the cruiser was temporarily holding it back. Hearing the engine begining to rev and seeing he was directly in front of the he jumped on the hood right when it dislodged the cruiser. I don't think he was hit, I think his reaction time was the only thing that stopped him from being hit.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I am with GS1 on this one.

I have had a similar experience. When I was in front of a car and the guy moved the column shifter into gear, I drew my gun and jumped up on the car to keep from being hit, and I politely informed the driver of the likely consequences if his foot came off the brake. I saw the mall security uniforms that had run behind the car parting like the Red Sea to clear the backstop . . . while the driver stared at me wide eyed and took two seconds to consider his options.

The driver put the car into park.

I do not think we should have expected the officer to take a high speed ride on the car, which was quite clearly moving when the officer fired, whether you think it was "moving" when he got onto the hood.

When you are in front of a car and it goes into gear, it is not a comfortable feeling.

Here is a clue for you. If there is a police officer on the hood of your car with a gun, and you floor the gas pedal, do not be surprised at all if you are shot.

12. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

For anyone questioning this shooting, tell me where the occupants hands were or what they were doing. Only Officer Bullrider would be able to tell. This guy had attempted to hit several officers with his car (clearly a deadly weapon).

If the only available place for the officer to go was on the hood and captain dips**t decides to floor it, he made the choice to take the neverending dirt nap.

13. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

14. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I agree with MP on this 100%. That was as justified an officer shooting as anyone is likely to see.

The idiot in the stolen car may have been drugged-up, based on his actions, or just a pure-bred genuine idiot. Either way, he made some really bad choices that didn't leave many options available to the police.

This time, the good guys won!

:applause:

15. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

the BG got exactly what he was asking for no questions asked....hopefully no police officers were hurt.

16. Vir Quisque Vir

Vir Quisque Vir New Member

Even in baseball, you only get 3 strikes. Traffic stops are never routine and you wonder just how many chances the police under these circumstances are supposed to take the chance that this BG is going to kill someone just because of his speed, let alone race at police cars and policemen. I think this was appropriate use of force and justified. One win for the home team, zip for the visitor.

17. phaed

phaed Active Member

a vehicle is just as deadly of a weapon as a firearm... completely justified.

my opinion actually extends a bit further on these high speed chases where the runner continually disobeys laws and endangers all around him. i think lethal force is not only authorized, but should be required at the first available opportunity to end the threat to the public. sometimes it's faster to shoot them than P.I.T. them if the backplane is clear, and time should be the primary consideration...not the BG's life.

many of these chases end up either killing or injuring innocents because they let them go on too long waiting for a P.I.T. opportunity.

18. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Adult decisions have adult consequences. Fortunately for the rest of the world, this guy will never have the opportunity to harm anyone else.