1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.walb.com/Global/story.asp?S=6109949

APD will return man's pistol

February 19, 2007

Albany -- An East Albany man who shot and killed an attacking pit bull is still waiting for Albany Police to give him his gun back.

As 69-year old Eloise Clearman walked her four little dogs in their backyard February 7th, the next door neighbor's pit bull jumped a fence and attacked them. Mrs. Clearman yelled for her husband.

David Clearman fought the dog then had his wife get his pistol. He shot the dog in the head. Animal control determined Mr. Clearman did nothing wrong, but Albany Police confiscated his gun as part of their investigation.

That was nearly two weeks ago. Today after WALB News 10 inquired about why the gun hasn't been returned, Captain Green with APD called the Clearmans and told them as soon as the Officer who worked the case returns from his two days off, the gun will be returned.

Mrs. Clearman is taking rabies shots because of a bite she suffered during the attack.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
A news agency doing investigative work on why a man hasn't gotten his gun back?

*faints*

·
68,968 Posts
Why did they take it in the first place? Were they going to run ballistics on it to see if some other, mystery gun shot the real magic bullet that killed the dog?

Great detective work there, Albany PD. :wink:

·
Registered
994 Posts
as soon as the Officer who worked the case returns from his two days off, the gun will be returned
Sure. That seems reasonable. Failure to do my job properly would never result my boss calling me when I was on vacation to figure out what we need to do to make something right. :roll:

I didn't see anything about asking Captain Green why the gun had to be taken in the first place. Now that would be investigative journalism. :wink:

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Albany PD is quite possibly the most ineffective, disorganized, incompetent bunch of Barney Fife's in the state, if not country. Just the fact that they actually showed up in the first place surprises me!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Were they going to run ballistics on it to see if some other, mystery gun shot the real magic bullet that killed the dog?
Ah, yes. The second gunman theory. The article doesn't mention whether there was a grassy knoll nearby. Maybe they need to see if Mr. Zapruder has any footage that might shead some light on what happened.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
geaux_tigers said:
[quote="Malum Prohibitum":3u308yxm]Were they going to run ballistics on it to see if some other, mystery gun shot the real magic bullet that killed the dog?
Ah, yes. The second gunman theory. The article doesn't mention whether there was a grassy knoll nearby. Maybe they need to see if Mr. Zapruder has any footage that might shead some light on what happened.[/quote:3u308yxm]

See, the dogs head goes back and to the right. Back and to the right. Back and to the right.

:D

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
USMC - Retired said:
The Albany PD is quite possibly the most ineffective, disorganized, incompetent bunch of Barney Fife's in the state, if not country. Just the fact that they actually showed up in the first place surprises me!
seconded!
Everyone around here knows that if you want to catch some criminals, go pull over a APD car. I actually had an incident where a "APD" officer came to my old apartment wanting to look around because "Someone had called 911 from our apartment" despite the fact that we did not have a home phone. He looked like he had just ironed his uniform with a warm rock, and I seriously doubted that he was in fact a police officer. After explaining to him that he wasn't coming in the apt, he just left. Didn't even protest as to why I wasn't letting him in the house.

Had another incident where my and my wife reported a suspicious vehicle driving up and down our cul-de-sac (?) for about an hour, took APD 4 hours to respond.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
geaux_tigers said:
as soon as the Officer who worked the case returns from his two days off, the gun will be returned
Sure. That seems reasonable. Failure to do my job properly would never result my boss calling me when I was on vacation to figure out what we need to do to make something right. :roll:

I didn't see anything about asking Captain Green why the gun had to be taken in the first place. Now that would be investigative journalism. :wink:
And why the hell does the same officer have to do it? I'm sure he has a boss of some type that should have to pick up his slack when needed. Jeez.... :?

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,864 Posts
Tinkerhell said:
geaux_tigers said:

And why the hell does the same officer have to do it? I'm sure he has a boss of some type that should have to pick up his slack when needed. Jeez.... :?
Maybe the original officer "borrowed" the gun from the evidence locker? (no offense to any LEO's or former LEO's)

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
slabertooch said:
Had another incident where my and my wife reported a suspicious vehicle driving up and down our cul-de-sac (?) for about an hour, took APD 4 hours to respond.
Statesboro police never even showed up when I called in a girl getting slapped by one male with three friends behind him.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
USMC - Retired said:
The Albany PD is quite possibly the most ineffective, disorganized, incompetent bunch of Barney Fife's in the state, if not country.
Sorry to disagree but the Manassass, VA Police has 'em beat. Check on the VCDL site for details.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Wiley said:
USMC - Retired said:
The Albany PD is quite possibly the most ineffective, disorganized, incompetent bunch of Barney Fife's in the state, if not country.
Sorry to disagree but the Manassass, VA Police has 'em beat. Check on the VCDL site for details.
I was gonna make a thread about that. I just read the back story on it last night. Quite ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Wiley said:
USMC - Retired said:
Manassas is just a bunch of yahoos. Philly PD they'll arrest you for defending yourself against a known problem hood, take your permit and guns, charge you with terroristic threats, carrying with out a permit and other bad things, send you a letter demanding that you turn over your permit (that you supposedly don't have, otherwise they'd not charge you for not having one right?) then delay your court date 3 times because the complainant can't be found (he's homeless) and when the homeless guy finally shows up, they still don't have their case ready to go and they ask for a continuance. Oh, they'll do you a favor and drop the felony charge of carrying without a permit. More over, they'll make sure you can't get your gun or permit back since the judge dismissed the case with prejudice.

Philly is bad. Really Bad. They can't even prosecute real criminals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts