APD protecting and serving the public (once again)

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by moga, Jan 10, 2007.

1. moga

moga New Member

Atlanta's mayor went on the defense in the AJCs report, noting that the officer involved of the incident acted reasonably.

Man. I hate to see the display of force APD reserves for its most dangerous criminals. APD must be sending a signal to the waffle house murderers that they intend to make life hard on their jaywalking friends. Guess this means PD is getting tough on crime, eh?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A distinguished British historian who tried to cross a road in Atlanta, Georgia, has complained of being wrestled to the ground, pinioned by five police officers and incarcerated.

Felipe Fernández-Armesto, 56, visiting Professor of Global Environmental History at Queen Mary, University of London, was attending the conference of the American Historical Association last Thursday when he was caught jaywalking.

“I’m a mass of contusions and grazes,†he said in an interview shown on the website YouTube.

“I come from a country where you can cross the road where you like,†he said. “It hadn’t occurred to me that I wasn’t allowed to cross the road between the two main conference venues.â€

He was not the only historian so to offend. A policeman called Kevin Leonpacher led a crackdown on the scholars, cautioning several before confronting the British professor, whose work has been compared to that of the 18th-century greats Gibbon and Montesquieu.

“I didn’t appreciate the gravity of the offence,†he said. “And I didn’t recognise him as a policeman. He was wearing . . . a bomber jacket, like a jerkin.â€

The officer asked the professor for identification. The professor asked the officer for identification. ':shock:' Officer Leonpacher then told him that he was under arrest and, according to the professor, subjected him to “terrible, terrible violenceâ€.

He said: “This young man kicked my legs from under me, wrenched me round, pinned me to the ground, wrenched my arms behind my back, handcuffed me.†As he bridled at this treatment, Officer Leonpacher called for help and soon “I had five burly policemen pinioning me to the groundâ€.

His colleagues were astonished. It was “like he was Osama bin Laden or somethingâ€, said Lisa Kazmier, a historian from Philadelphia.

The professor had hoped to spend the afternoon listening to his fellows discoursing on arcane topics. Instead, he was handcuffed to another suspect in a “filthy paddywagon†and fingerprinted in a detention centre, where his peppermints were confiscated. His bail was set at £720 and he remained behind bars for eight hours. When he told a judge his side of the story in court the next morning the case was dropped.

Officer Leonpacher was unrepentant, saying: “He chose to ignore a uniformed officer. At what point can anyone say I overreacted?â€

The professor’s wife, Lesley, told The Times yesterday: “I suppose it’s lucky he wasn’t shot.â€

The professor said that, as an “ageing member of the bourgeoisieâ€, he found it all educational — and was now seen by many of his colleagues “as a combination of Rambo, because it took five cops to pin me to the ground, and Perry Mason, because my eloquence before a judge obtained my immediate releaseâ€.

Walk, don't walk
    # Georgia’s criminal code, Section 40-6-96, states: “Where a sidewalk is provided, it shall be unlawful for any pedestrian to walk along and upon an adjacent roadwayâ€

# A police officer was present when the professor, right, attempted to cross the road, so he was charged with being in breach of Section 40-6-90:

# It states: “A pedestrian shall obey the instructions of ny official traffic-control device specifically applicable to him, unless otherwise directed by a police officerâ€

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I am starting to think that I shouldn't worry about criminals so much as the APD when I go to Atlanta.

Ah....who am I kidding.....they are one in the same.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Atleast they haven't shot as many people as Dekalb Co lately.......

4. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I'm usually being facetious when I say things like this...BUT, he really is lucky he didn't get tasered.

Asking an officer for HIS ID is clearly resisting arrest, obstruction of justice, interfering with a police officer and conspiracy to conspire to attempt to commit anti-american acts during a time of undeclared emergency.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Apparently a beatable offense.

7. Norm357

Norm357 New Member

That article is a one sided piece of crap. That pompus prick got what he deserved.

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Huh? A person from another country that crosses the middle of the road and asks to see an officers ID when it was not on display means a person should be tackled and held in jail over night?

I am not sure the judge shares your opinion.

Also did anyone here know that jaywalking was an arrestable offence with bail set at $1,392.04?

When you threw the guy from another country to the ground and arrested him for crossing the street. That is an overreaction.

in my best Cartman voice: YOU WILL RESPECT MY ATHORATAY!

Next time they have a conference, they should have an introduction to what crosswalks look like and APD uniforms, so no other people will be arrested for crossing the street.

9. Norm357

Norm357 New Member

The Officer was in UNIFORM and the man was not arrested for jay walking.

10. Norm357

Norm357 New Member

Here is a slightly less biased version of the events.

The ajc.com is reporting:

11. Norm357

Norm357 New Member

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Not quite... His uniform (the shirt with all the identifications) was covered by a jacket. So his LEO identification was concealed. Either the guy could assume the blue pants meant he was a LEO or he could ask, which he did.

He was arrested for not obeying an officer directing him how to cross a street.

13. Norm357

Norm357 New Member

The jacket was APD issue and APD marked.

By his own admission, the man had his British drivers license and all he had to do was show it to the Officer. He brought this on himself.

14. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Show me where the LEO ever said he was a cop and not just some guy trying to boss another guy around?

15. Norm357

Norm357 New Member

He was in UNIFORM! What other ID do you need? This is getting silly.

His bomber jacket had the APD badge on the chest and said APD on the back.

16. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I have read all three accounts and none of them say it was APD marked. All the officer had to do is show his ID and none of it would have happend.

17. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

As in unzip and show the badge.

18. Norm357

Norm357 New Member

IF the Officer was working a dept aproved off duty gig, and he was, he had to be wearing an APD issued uniform. This includes his jacket. Thats dept policy.

19. Norm357

Norm357 New Member

[​IMG]

A picture is worth a thousand words I guess.

Edit:

The Officer that made the arrest is the man on the rear left getting touched on the shoulder.