Apartment Living Woes - What to do with guns?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Suprman, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Suprman

Suprman New Member

up in till now, I just had one gun that would stay on my person or next to my bed 24/7. now after going to ED's end of year sale and picking up a pocket gun and a 12ga shotgun, I have a problem.

What do I do with the guns that are not on my person, more importantly the shotgun? I live in a Apartment Complex that has access to my apartment i'm guessing anytime they want. If i'm out of town or out for work, I'd prefer not to have a loaded (or un loaded with the ammo sitting next to it) shotgun sitting where a worker could get to it or god forbid someone that broke into the house and got past the alarm and barking dogs.

So I guess i need a Storage Solution for my shotgun and sometimes a pistol and a good bit of ammo for a Apartment living situation. I don't have any kids and very very rarely do any visit (once/twice a year at most). I usually just leave my guns loaded next to the bed or on the nightstand along with all the ammo that's on the nightstand.

Please Help!

2. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Where to keep them when you aren't there:
    Safe
    Vehicle
    Secure storage with a range, friend, or family member

For any of the above options, make sure the firearms (or container they are in) are securely attached to building or vehicle frames.

3. Suprman

Suprman New Member

I guess Safe is my only option, since i use the guns for home defense, and the only one that doesn't get carried on a daily basis is the shotgun.

I just had a vehicle stolen with over 10k in tools earlier this year, so I don't store anything in my truck that I care about being stolen.

4. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Wife and I bought a small safe from Bass Pro, fits nicely in the corner of a closet.

Also, you can get a couple of finger print handgun safes.

5. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Also get a renter's insurance policy that specifically names firearms limits. Keep an inventory with serial numbers and photos somewhere safe.

6. Match10

Match10 Active Member

I'll hold them here and let you borrow them when you need them... :wink:

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

A real gun safe is good, of course.

But a budget answer, and something easier to move, would be an all-metal gun cabinet that uses a couple of those cylindrical key (tubular key?) locks.

You can attach it to two wall studs with a couple of holes that are pretty easy to patch when you move-out.

Or you can just put some extra weight in the bottom of it and leave it as a freestanding item.

ANOTHER IDEA: Chain the shotgun to some item of furniture. Run the steel cable or small chain from the loading port out through the ejection port. People can find and even play with the gun, but they can't make it shoot and they can't steal it until they break out some big noisy tools.

LESS SECURE IDEA: Don't lock up the shotgun. Just keep it out of sight, unloaded. Instead of locking up the shotgun in a big safe or cabinet, lock up ALL your shotgun shells in a small safe or strongbox. This would work assuming you only have a few 5-round boxes of ammo, not cases of birdshot for use at the range.

8. ClayD

ClayD New Member

I also live in an apartment. I have two rifles and three handguns. I keep my handguns in a safe as well as the bolt for my bolt action and my semi auto I have a lock on the trig and one looped through the action. This does not deter a thief, but access is harder.

Also my apartment management is required to notify me if they need to get into my apartment and also leave a statement of the workers names and what was done in my apartment. I also have renters insurance as well.

9. BirdMan

BirdMan Active Member

If you can disassemble your guns, that's a cheap, easy way to do it. Take the bolts and leave them in your car or hide them somewhere smart.

10. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

I tapconned a Sentry 14 gun into the 1st floor slab and put 200lbs of concrete testing beams in it. Not bomb proof but certainly discouraging.

11. streetriots

streetriots Clueless

I would shop around for a good deal on a safe. Last year my girlfriend picked up a Centurion 17 by Liberty Safes for around $300 at Lowes. According to Google the current price is $799.

12. AV8R

AV8R Banned

You can possibly hide it.

Hang it from a sturdy coat hanger. Hang a trench coat or something similarly big and thick over the shotgun, then place some dry cleaning plastic over the whole thing. Hang it the corner of a closet in such fashion that it will not likely be touched or pushed.

Behind the fridge is a decent spot, too.

13. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

And, Liberty Safes are U.S.A. made!

14. ruger762

ruger762 Member

Not all Liberty's are made in the USA. The Centurion line is an import.

15. vooduchikn

vooduchikn New Member

Insure them and leave them open for use. In an apartment, there is usually only one way out and it is where "they" came in. Especially true if you are on a second floor or above. I wouldn't lock them up or take them apart. I kept my pistols in a $90 quick access gun vault next to the bed and shotguns close to where I hang out in the house during the day (1 under my couch, pistol on me). If you are worried, get a door block for when you are home. this will buy you time...insurance is for when you aren't around. Dogs are great too, people don't like to get bit.

Always lock your doors, especially when you are home. I suggest a second set of deadbolts. One high and one low (door stability) with matching keys. I know this seems overboard, but it is your butt on the line and you asked. Alarm system on the place?

My pistol is always under my pillow or in bedside drawer condition 1....been that way for years. When I leave (can't carry here) it goes in the vault. My wife's is in her bedside drawer.

Renters insurance cheaper than your funeral. Gun vaults address the kid issue.

When someone breaks in through a cheap apartment door, you don't want to have to worry about where you firearms are, only that they are close.

My $.02

Vood

16. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

When you do get renter's insurance be sure to check the fine print. They may require more money for extra coverage on certain possessions, or just purchase a seperate rider. Electronics & firearms are usually without limit, but jewerly (as my GF found out) can have a set limit. Be sure to go over each piece of coverage. :righton: I would also take photos and, if possible, get your more valuable items appraised. You can file for stolen items on your tax return.

17. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

stuff it under the mattress

18. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Take the firing pin out! :lol: That will teach them! Hopefully, if someone stole your guns, they'd try to use it against an armed law-abiding citizen!

CLICK! WTF?!?!?! :oops: BOOOOOOOM! :D

Gunsmoker had some good options, I would look at those. Also, HIDE IT IN PLAIN SIGHT! Hide is somewhere that they wouldn't look, or wouldn't be smart enough to look, but it easy enough for you to get to if SHTF. Say multiple people break into your apartment.

I also like my guns READY to go.. if not one in the chamber and the safety on, then the Magazine is full, and the safety is off. Just pop a round in the chamber and start bustin' caps.

I kept multiple firearms in an apartment for almost a year... it was a very dangerous place in Conyers, GA. Drug deals and gun shots were an all too often occurrence while living there, including GANG fights right outside of my apartment door. Now people know why I GTFO and bought a house out near the country. Forget that place.

I had plenty of great hiding spots where someone would NEVER look, but that I could get to quickly. Just take a look around your place, and use what you have!

I kept a full-sized shotgun with buckshot in it, and I hid it very well. It happened to fit right under my love seat, and they couldn't see it without lifting up the entire couch, which was crazy heavy because it reclined.

I practiced barely popping up the couch, grabbing the completely unloaded firearm, switching off the safety as I pulled it up at my apartment door.

At night, I would literally grab that shotty, and it would stay next to me, until I left the apartment the next time. I had a reason to be paranoid out there. Geeze.

Anyway, use your imagination, and just think of places that you don't think your everyday dumb criminal would look for a shotty. I believe all criminals know about hiding a gun under your bed. Secure it if you can.

Good luck and I hope you never need it! :D :righton:

19. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

http://www.libertysafe.com/safe_centurion.php

Thanks. From their website, the Centurion 17 is an import. The other Centurions are U.S.A. made.

20. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

As many have said, insurance and keeping an accurate list of model, serial #, etc. is key.

I've been robbed (while living in a townhouse apartment) and had a gun stolen. So the first thing I'd like to add is don't realistically believe that a thief will not be able to discover your hiding place. In a break in, your home is liable to be ransacked. Drawers pulled completely out and contents dumped on the floor, furniture overturned, etc.

But that doesn't mean that hiding them won't work.

When my apartment was robbed, I had three handguns and a shotgun in my possession, all hidden in various places around the apartment. The burglar found one handgun in my dresser drawer and took it, but apparently did not think to open the surrounding drawers. He could have made off with three because they were just in other drawers. He didn't even look in the closet, where the shotgun was still in its box behind my clothes.

But I don't have any illusions that my actions prevented further loss. It was pure chance.

A friend used to have an interesting method:
    - He found an oak gun cabinet with a glass front at a yard sale for cheap.
    - He removed the firing pin from a Mosin Nagant and left it in the gun cabinet, in plain sight.

The logic was that a burglar would sieze upon the gun cabinet and not search further, assuming the gun owner would naturally put all his guns in the cabinet. Thankfully this idea was never tested and he subsequently moved to a house and bought a full size safe.