Anyone with HVAC Thermostat knowledge?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by zephyr57, Oct 16, 2010.

1. zephyr57

zephyr57 New Member

Should I have whatever switch it is on my HVAC Thermostat set to "Gas/Oil" or "Electric/Heat Pump?"?

It is run by electricity, with no gas in the house at all, but just want to make sure before I change it.

They are currently set to Gas/Oil for some reason, and has been for the past year and a half we've lived here... and I have no clue if it was set that way for a reason. I have noticed the house has very inconsistent levels of temp from room to room.

This button I see is on the back of the Thermostat on both levels of the house... and both are currently set the same way. I noticed it when I changed the batteries in the thermostat.

The thermostat is indeed set to Auto.

I also have no manual for the thing.

My handyman knowledge is limited and surely growing after owning my first house.

2. I've never seen such a switch, but go ahead and turn it to Electric/heat pump if that is the kind of system in your home. It can't hurt.

It will have nothing to do with inconsistent temps room to room, that is a function of how much warm/cool air is flowing through the ducts to those rooms. Make sure the registers (the vents in the rooms themselves) are open.

The thermostat turns the system on and off based on the temperature at the thermostat itself. It has no 'knowledge' of the temperature in the various rooms.

-OEG

3. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

I have a dual fuel heat pump down stairs and electric heat pump upstairs. I am using White-Rodgers series 80 thermostats on both units. The switch on the thermostat dictates whether the thermostat "calls" for the fan blower or the air handler. Typically for Gas/Oil 2nd stage/Emergency heat situations it is usually customary for the air handler to call for the fan blower because when Gas/Oil is being used the blower speed is usually "dialed down" to a lower speed to keep from over cooling the heater core. For electric backup heat systems, the thermostat calls for the blower instead of the air handler.

On my system down stairs, there is a relay board that the thermostat is connected to, so when the thermostat calls for Aux or Emergency heat, it shuts off the heat pump and runs only on the Gas heat. The relay board then ignores any call from the thermostat for fan blower operation. It, the relay board, turns on the exhaust fan first, then it ignites the heater core, then lastly it starts the fan blower. The fan blows out the air at a lower speed than at normal heat pump or AC operation.