Anyone shoot a Dragunov?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Lomcevak Duck, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Lomcevak Duck

Lomcevak Duck Active Member

I have recently found myself lusting over the Dragunov design and I think I would like to add one to my collection. I'm not very familiar with them and I'm hoping some of you guys on here will have some knowledge on this weapon. Are they still being imported? Are they prohibitively expensive to shoot? I am not really interested in a safe queen that is worth more than my car, I just want one with wood furniture that I can take to the range.

So if you have any experience with a Dragunov or have pictures of one you own I would love to hear from you.

2. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

The real deal was banned by Clinton back in 94' through an EO I believe. I have a Tigr which is the sporterized version with a shorter barrel and different stock. There were only 100 SVD's, along with a few thousand Tigr's, imported before the ban making them extremely valuable. My only experience is with the Tigr but it is a 2.5moa gun with the crappy wolf ammo. 7n1 Russian sniper ammo is nearly impossible to find and I choose not to shoot corrosive ammo through the gun due to the value. It shouldn't hurt anything as long as it's cleaned properly though. I'm sure if I reloaded it could be a 1moa gun as I did have some high quality US manufactured ammo that was loaded at the beginning of the Iraq war and is no longer available but would hold 1.5moa.

For more information on the other variants start here.

http://www.dragunov.net/

3. Lomcevak Duck

What about the Norinco Dragunov? Is it a cheap clone that is still being sold here or is it the real deal and no longer available? If it is very similar to the russian made, I wouldn't mind buying one of those to save some money. I have a Norinco SKS that I love and it functions just as well as my Russian SKS. Although I like the Russian more because of the historical aspect and the better looking wood, my Norinco is just as much fun to shoot.

4. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

I've been looking at one too. If anyone has a field report I'd love to hear it.

5. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

I don't get the appeal myself. A modern rem 700 will shoot circles around it.

6. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Not really the point. An ar will out shoot an ak anyday. (I have both) My xd9 out shoots my makarov, doesn't keep me from wanting both. I try to collect all the old soviet gear. my father in law likes to collect a lot of the old german ww2 gear.

7. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

I understand.

I heard "range report", "not interested in a safe queen" - implying usefulness.
    Something about not wanting to spend "more than what a car is worth".......something like that anyhow.
    That coupled with the fact that they are billed as "sniper rifles" compelled me to comment.

8. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

If it absolutely has to have a hole in it, I use my savage 110fp with a bushnell elite scope, with ammo I reload.

But the dragunov just sounds fun to shoot.

That said I have a moisin nagant, that shoots VERY straight.

9. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

I am pretty sure those use an AK style gas system with a lot more reciprocating mass where as the true Druganov uses a short stroke gas system similar to what is being put on modern AR's. I have heard many say this makes a less accurate rifle and that may be true but I haven't found my Tigr to be a tack driver to begin with. Personally I would just go with the cheaper option to see how you like the gun.

This might be something you would be interested in.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...I+Inc.+Romanian+FPK+7.62x54R+Rifle&groupid=11

10. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

The REAL Dragunov shows up sometimes on gunbroker and it is quite expensive. Right now, there is one at 5000$ and a Norinco at 3000$....

The Romak-3 is a hit or miss. Mine was a miss until I did extensive work on it. And still, it is very peculiar on ammo. The real weak point is the barrel: Too thin, badly chromed, muzzle flash hider not straight.

I remember reading a few weeks ago they will now sell the Romak-3 with American-made heavy barrels (Was it in 308??? I can't recall). Those should shoot a lot better even in 7.62x54R.

I like mine and try to shoot 25-30 rounds every other month, especially since I mounted a Fullfield II (Or Nikon Buckmaster, I can recall) on it but would sell it with the close to 5000 rounds of ammo there is on it with an heartbeat if the right price would come by.

Thank you

11. Lomcevak Duck

I am sure that there are probably far better rifles for tack driving at ranges most of us can't even get our eyes to focus. That isn't really why I found this weapon interesting. Actually, I can't put my finger on why I found it interesting, just that it looked like fun and I sort of have a thing for Soviet and German weapons.

What I mean when I say that I don't want a safe queen that is worth more than my car, is that I am interested in a neat looking rifle that is fun to shoot and does not hold such significant monetary or historical value that I would be afraid to take it out on a regular basis.

I don't shoot competitively, I just thought this might be a fun-to-plink-with rifle that has some character. (Keep in mind that my favorite rifles to shoot are my relatively inexpensive SKS's and a Winchester .22) What I was not/am not looking for is a $5000 rifle that needs ammunition that is hard to find or prohibitively expensive to stock and is so rare that I would feel that I did a disservice to the firearm community by shooting it until it wore out.

It appears that is exactly what the Dragunov is, and I was sure that someone on here would have experience with one or know something about them. While I am probably not looking for a Dragunov anymore, I did learn a bit about them and enjoyed the process of discussion and research and appreciate all of the comments.

12. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Sounds like a perfectly good reason to get one. If you do let us know how it does.

13. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

I had one in the 90's. Finding good ammo was just stupid and costly plus even with good ammo it was not that accurate at range. After two years I sold it to a collector and never looked back. My 20" AR kicked it's butt.

14. ed4

ed4 Active Member

Cheap clone? Not really cheap it is a clone/copy that was reverse engineered. Similar? Yes the parts will interchange on the 7.62X54R models. I have a .308/7.62X51 model, stocks interchange. There was a story release years ago about the Chinese NDM-86 in .308 that they were made for a contract with Turkey but they fell through so they imported them here. True or not don't know. When I got mine they were $1700, and that was several years ago, can't find them for that now.

For the combloc they are sniper rifles, they have a different doctrine than the US/Nato for snipers. Combloc "snipers" are more like designated marksmen.

They are fun to shoot. Mine with federal gmm shoots less than 1/2in at 100yards. Never tried it for distance as the 4x scope isn't the best.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. They use the same gas system as the Russian SVD/Dragunov and it's very similar to that found on the SKS short stroke gas system where the AK uses a long stroke gas system.

They're fun to shoot and expensive. The Romak3/PSL/FPK is not a Dragunov. But also fun to shoot. I have an early import Romak3 no US made parts, no bayonet lug(who cares), shoots good enough for what it was intended.

15. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

The Romak 3 or PSL does use an AK gas sytem, I'm not sure about the other variants out there though.

http://www.dragunov.net/romanian_psl.html

16. ed4

ed4 Active Member

If you read the 2 posts above mine(in the quotes from Lomcevak Duck and Jmark) they were talking about the Chinese/Norinco Dragunov. Which uses the SVD gas system.

17. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

I used to have the Romanian PSL. Load it with hunting rounds and it has the ballistics of a 30-06 and is a great deer rifle.

Oh yeah, the scope is absolutely fantastic and don't listen to others about it not being an accurate rifle. They probably never shot one.

18. kestak

kestak New Member

I own a PSL. And mine took a LOT of work to be accurate. And still, it depends of the ammo.
    Here is the proof I OWN one.

This picture has been taken before I changed scope and did the modifications to make it more accurate:
    [​IMG]

19. Spc Satt

Spc Satt Guest

When I was over seas last year. My AAF platoon had one and the plt leader would give it to me during TIC's (troops in contact).
    I used it about six times i think. Very effective for what I used it for. The only thing I didn't like was the wooden stock would tear the beard of my right cheek. :righton:

20. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

An old picture of mine - I didn't like the light tan finish. Once you can figure out how to zero the scope, it is a very accurate rifle. The scope has a rangefinder in meters, not feet.