Anyone see World's Wildest Police Videos on CourtTV tonight?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sine Nomen, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

I think there was a clip from Ohio where an officer made a routine traffic stop on a young man. He asked for an insurance card which was presumably in the glovebox because driver opened it up, exposing his pistol. The cop freaked out, started yelling "Don't touch that! Keep your hands up!" Drew his gun amazing slowly (maybe he had some awkward retention?) and stood there with a bead on the guy until backup got there and reached in the window and took the gun out. It's not until they had the fella out of the car and in handcuffs did they ask why he had the weapon. The commentator scoffed at the reply of "Protection" and said they take all weapons charges seriously as the suspect was led to the back of the patrol car. At no time did I hear the officer ask if the guy had a license to carry. (Do you need one for car carry in OH?) The show implied that because he had a gun, he needed to make a trip to the jailhouse. Granted, not telling an officer that there's a gun in the glovebox you're about to open is a boneheaded thing to do, but I don't think it warrants him showing you the business end of his pistol and certainly should not mean a night in jail.

2. triggerman357

triggerman357 Active Member

Re: Anyone see World's Wildest Police Videos on CourtTV toni

This is why I have my driver's license and insurance card in hand long before the officer steps to my car.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Re: Anyone see World's Wildest Police Videos on CourtTV toni

+1... often before I have even fully stopped.

4. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

thats why I keep a copy of my insurance card in my wallet. I don't have to go digging for it.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I keep my insurance card, license, and registration in my holster.

6. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

While you are at it, buy one of those old toy guns that when you pull the trigger the flag sticks out of the end and says " Bang", just paste license and insurance cards on the flag. the officer will get a real kick out of it

BTW, the officers in my area do not ask for regristration anymore, they did for about 5 yrs, they quit last year sometime.

7. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I keep my insurance card & registration in one of those little plastic wallets the insurance companies give out for promotions. I keep it in the visor pocket or somewhere far away from any pistol I might be carrying. I also make it a point to have my DL and the other stuff out before the LEO gets to my window, radio off, and window down. These simple, courteous steps have actually made the difference between a ticket and a warning on more than one occasion.

8. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

don't forget the gum so they can't detect the alcohol on your breath.

9. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Having a truck I use same method as Volgrad. I have a pouch thing on my visor. It has the registration, insurance, and voice recoder :wink: .

Althouh we really dont need it, I think it is just easier. Leaves more room for mags and flashlight in the console and such! :lol:

10. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I don't even keep an insurance card in the truck. Registration is in the glove box but it's no big deal cause the gun is on my hip. Been stoped three times now for various reasons and reached right past the gun to get my wallet and the cop in each case never said a word. Of course it's highly probable that they never saw the pistol either since it's on the other side of my beer investment... :oops:

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Did they arrest him?

I do not carry an insurance card, either.

12. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

I just don't carry insurance... :)

13. GACop

GACop Member

It really is a good idea to keep your insurance card with you in the vehicle for a few reasons.

1. It is still required by law.

2. The automated system is not always correct and not always working. It is a good idea to have the card as a backup if you need it.

3. The computer system doesn't list your policy number. We need that if you are involved in an accident.

14. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

When my truck was rear ended in a parking lot of an apartment complex, I was glad to have mine and glad the other driver had hers! Made life alot easier when I called the insurance company. Not to mention if she bolted the policy number was linked to her parents out of state!

If she didnt just having drivers license and address wont make me warm and fuzzy. I want it all!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

15. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

2. After February 1, 2003, the insurance status for a vehicle in Georgia will be as follows: The database will be the sole method for insurance verification. The insurance ID card will not be accepted by law enforcement.

16. GACop

GACop Member

I knew it would only be a matter of time until someone posted that. However, if you read the full law, you'll find this little nugget of information:

(C) For any vehicle covered under a policy of motor vehicle liability insurance that is not a fleet policy as defined in Code Section 40-5-71, the insurer shall issue a policy information card which shall contain at least the name of the insurer, policy number, policy issue or effective date, policy expiration date, name of the insured, and year, make, model, and vehicle identification number of each vehicle insured; and on and after January 1, 2004, the owner or operator of the motor vehicle shall keep such policy information card in the vehicle at all times during operation of the vehicle for purposes of Code Section 40-6-273.1, but any such policy information card shall not be sufficient proof of insurance for any purposes of this Code section except as otherwise provided in this Code section.

17. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Got to love how laws sometimes overlap

18. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

(3) On and after July 1, 2005, the requirement under this Code section that proof or evidence of minimum liability insurance be maintained in a motor vehicle at all times during the operation of the vehicle shall not apply to the owner or operator of any vehicle for which the records or data base of the Department of Revenue indicates that required minimum insurance coverage is currently effective.

19. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Then just don't get in an accident! :D

Hey, its the same reasoning I hear from people who want to keep certain places off limits to the carry of a firearm!

20. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

The only reason I carry an insurance card is so I have it when I'm out of state. Not all states are able to check it like we are.