anyone here know how to build a dock?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by gruntpain1775, Oct 27, 2010.

1. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

I'm closing on a house Friday, the land has a small pond on it that I am going to stock with catfish. I want to build a small "T" shaped dock out into the pond, without having to drain the pond to sink the posts. I am thinking that taking a back hoe, backing it up to the pond, and using it to sink the posts...but that will only work for so far, plus the bottom is muddy so I don't know how sturdy the posts will be.

Anyone have any experience in these matters? And no, I don't want to build a floating dock. lol

2. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

I would say you would have to drain it, or wait til dry weather.

Edit: Congrats on the home purchase!

3. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

yea, I'm trying to avoid draining. Doing so means it floods the rest of the property. lol

4. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

I just had a thought. Making a base for the posts out of concrete . Make the base big and heavy enough to make the posts sturdy and bear a load and attach some sort of bracket to it. Then sink the base then attach the post.
    :?:

5. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

Wouldn't it continue to sink into the mud over time?

6. seereus

seereus Active Member

Just drive your post into the bottom, then tie together with PT lumber.

7. SAXD2003

SAXD2003 New Member

I would hire a company. My dads business subcontracts dock and boathouse building so I am around it all the time. You can always tell when its done right, if not that sucker will be leaning or one side will be sinking within a couple years.

Where are you located?

8. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Why not a floating dock that would rise and fall with water level? A few 55 gallon blue drums and you'd be all set.
    Hardest part would be anchoring it to the shore then.

[​IMG]

9. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

why would grunt want to build a duck.....??? :screwy:

10. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Even the Infantry has to bathe .....Sometime.

dock... duck ...aRRRggghhhh!!!!

http://www.boatndock.com/products.html

All the parts for either floating or stationary docks.

11. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Build a floating dock. With the plastic over foam blocks these days it is easier than building a deck because it winds up being self leveling and if you think you'd like it elsewhere, just pull it over and re-stake it. Floaters are also a heck of a lot easier to dispose of or rebuild later.

If you are dead-set against a floater, then you can rent a heavy duty water pump and use it to sink your pylons. Here, enjoy a quick read on "jetting" http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Posts-in ... ck-or-Pier

12. samman23

samman23 New Member

Congrats on getting such a cool property. :righton:

13. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

Using 4x4's I just cut a point on mine and hand drove them with a sledgehammer. Taped the top to keep it from splitting and drove them and then added the floating square dock with the walkway but you have been on it so you tell me. :wink:

14. bgs210

bgs210 Luggage Killer

grunt,
    Incoming PM

15. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

In a pond? Negative.....that's what the rain is for. :wink:

I have been looking at the pond again today. I think what I am going to do is extend the pond. Dig out the area I want to extend but leave earth standing to contain the water, build the dock, then knock out the dirt and flood the new area. Win win I think, build a dock + get a bigger pond!

16. seereus

seereus Active Member

Not knowing your location, a bit of advice. Check to see if the current pond is clay lined.
    I can't remember the actual name of the clay, but a neighbor of mine had to drain a new pond they had made, (ordered to do so by the local govt) and reline the bed of the pond with some type of clay liner. They spent a huge sum of $$$$ having to do so.

17. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

The clay is Bentonite.

Jetting the posts in works well, as will driving them, as Matt said.

If anyone close needs billets (coated Styrofoam floats), I have a bunch you can have for free. I got them from the Army Rec Area at Strom Thurmond (Clarks Hill), when they were facing an inspection and needed to ditch them.

18. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Where I'm heading to, a 1 cent tax increase is grounds for the county courthouse to be burned to the ground. :mrgreen: Way out in the country, all the county officials are mainly farmers. Aside from roads the county don't care what you do around here.

19. Jonboy

Jonboy New Member

Is the pond spring-fed or does the water level vary according to the weather? My pond has several springs feeding it that keep it pretty much full except for times of extreme drought. My suggestion would be a floating dock also.