Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm teaching a class on Georgia's indigenous snakes and reptiles for a home school co-op next semester. I would like to bring in some snakes so the kids can see some first hand. But I don't own any at the moment, and I'm unlikely to get set up anytime soon.

Does anyone here have any pet snakes or lizards (any non-venomous species), or do you know someone who would be willing to do a forty five minute presentation for a class?

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Sounds like a field trip to a reptile store might be easier.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is possible but field trips for this group would have to be during a non-class time and it's hard to get families to participate (even though the kids would like it). I do plan to recommend they stop by a pet store as their family's schedule permits. Or go to the zoo. But there is no "hands on" element there.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,531 Posts
Go into the woods and banks of creeks near your house and flip over some logs.

You’ll find a snake, and odds are 9/10 that it will be non -venomous.

Odds are 9/10 that it will crap on you and bite you as you handle it for the first time, though...

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go into the woods and banks of creeks near your house and flip over some logs.

You'll find a snake, and odds are 9/10 that it will be non -venomous.

Odds are 9/10 that it will crap on you and bite you as you handle it for the first time, though...
Yes, but it's illegal to possess a non-venomous indigenous snake without a license. For the class, I don't care if we're looking at non-native species. I'd prefer to look at something the kids could actually buy as a pet.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts