Anyone here keep reptiles as pets?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Verbal101, Nov 14, 2017 at 7:54 AM.

1. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

I'm teaching a class on Georgia's indigenous snakes and reptiles for a home school co-op next semester. I would like to bring in some snakes so the kids can see some first hand. But I don't own any at the moment, and I'm unlikely to get set up anytime soon.

Does anyone here have any pet snakes or lizards (any non-venomous species), or do you know someone who would be willing to do a forty five minute presentation for a class?

2. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a field trip to a reptile store might be easier.

3. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

That is possible but field trips for this group would have to be during a non-class time and it's hard to get families to participate (even though the kids would like it). I do plan to recommend they stop by a pet store as their family's schedule permits. Or go to the zoo. But there is no "hands on" element there.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Go into the woods and banks of creeks near your house and flip over some logs.

You’ll find a snake, and odds are 9/10 that it will be non -venomous.

Odds are 9/10 that it will crap on you and bite you as you handle it for the first time, though...

5. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Yes, but it's illegal to possess a non-venomous indigenous snake without a license. For the class, I don't care if we're looking at non-native species. I'd prefer to look at something the kids could actually buy as a pet.

6. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Interesting, I might have to join that for a year. Thanks for the link.

If this keeps up I will end up with my own pet. Maybe a bearded dragon, when the time is right. But now I have nothing --