Anyone have an encounter as a non-GWL holder?

Discussion in 'LEO Encounters' started by railin93, Oct 14, 2010.

1. railin93

railin93 New Member

I know GA law doesnt prohibit legal possesion of a firearms in a vehicle by a non-GWL holder but has anyone had a run in with LEO in this situation?...

i carry everywhere i go with family and alone but not outside the vehicle as i dont have a GWL yet...does the normal citizen have to claim they are carrying if doing so since GWL holders do not?...i have yet to be approached or stopped by any LEO's but i dont wanna paint a bad picture if i have to claim and not doing so...the wife does the same so it's kinda like double jeopardy if we are both in the wrong...we are going to apply for our GWL's as soon as we can but it hasnt been an issue since we dont carry on our persons yet, but it has had me thinking "what if"...

thanks for any insight or comments to help

2. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

there is no duty to inform

3. AV8R

AV8R Banned

No duty to notify. Now go get your GFL and join GCO!

4. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

There is no duty to inform the officer, whether you have a GWL or not.

Given the state of knowledge of gun laws by LEO's in a lot of areas in Georgia, in your situation I frankly would never tell them I have a firearm in the vehicle (I use the "there are no illegal weapons in the car" answer if asked). Frankly, if they are going to arrest you because they don't know the law, you telling them probably isn't going to help, as a large part of being a police officer is processing criminals that have confessed or implicated themselves through running their mouth, so in my opinion, most of them no longer believe that innocent people are the ones that volunteer information.

5. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

In some states it is was or is a felony to carry without the paper, even in the car only.
    Those same states also often failed to pursue an unlicensed carrying charge if the carrier had to use the weapon for a good reason.

Some folks I know would have been felons many times over had there been an industrious LEO at work.

I forget, but seems the new GA law cuts some carrying without the paper to a misdemeanor?

Permit or not, sometimes you just need to carry.

6. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

Car carry is legal without a GWL in Georgia, and I'm pretty sure the scope of the question was for driving intrastate.

7. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

You dont have to tell them. But honestly if you fail to do so at least prepare yourself for to ttake the ride: :dtmb: :dtmb: :dtmb:

8. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Re: Re: Anyone have an encounter as a non-GWL holder?

This has not been my experience at all.

- Sent from my StarTac

9. mpc

mpc New Member

...provided you're not disqualified from getting a GWL. That part is often left out.

10. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

Incorrect. That's not true any more, in SB-308 the language got changed.

As long as you are not prohibited by Federal law from possessing a handgun or long gun, you may carry inside your car.

11. Kingfish

Kingfish New Member

1) Be eligible for GWL.
    or
    2) Be inside YOUR OWN vehicle.

12. mountainman444

mountainman444 Well-Known Member

The only time I've ever informed when stopped was when I had to reach past the pistol. Insurance card in the dash with the gun or to get my wallet from my pocket and the gun was slid down beside the seat where I'd reach past it. I had a GFL (now GWL) but it didn't matter (they never asked to see it anyway). I just don't see a need to bring it up unless it's going to be seen.

13. JMan

JMan New Member

Not like Double Jeopardy Unless you (1 person ) is charged with the same crime twice ...

Never lie if a officer asked if there is any weapons in the car , but you don't have to snitch on yourself being a simple traffic stop . Don't open a can of worms !

14. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

If an officer asks if I have a gun in the car, and I lie and say, "No, there's not (to get the encounter over quickly since I'm law-abiding/am no threat/have a GWL/and this is just a routine traffic stop). What law is being broken? After all, police can lie, why not everyone else?

This is a serious question.

15. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

If you're caught in a lie, then you've given him/her pc/ras. Much better to not lie by stating I have no "illegal" weapons in my vehicle. You didn't lie. If a weapon is noticed and the officer says you lied, you can clarify that you did not. There's no pc/ras for simply having a "legal" weapon.

I understand what you're saying, that if a LEO can lie to you, why can't you lie to him. Unfortunately, the courts have granted him that ability and your lies can be used against you.

16. N.T.F.S.

N.T.F.S. Active Member

You do not have to be in your own vehicle

17. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

PC/RAS of what? Its my legal car, my legal gun, my GWL, etc.

So does this mean the answer is that there is nothing illegal about lying to a LEO in this circumstance?

18. jlcnuke

jlcnuke New Member

I would guess that the police and their stops are part of the jurisdiction of an agency of either state or local government and as such lying to them would violate this code. Best to exercise your right to not answer irrelevant questions in most cases would be my personal view. IANAL YMMV

19. Kingfish

Kingfish New Member

[/quote:1hm9apqh]

Someone that is not eligible for a GWL is not eligable for a GWL and thus "(d)" does not apply.

If one is eligible for a GWL the my "1)" above stands.

Otherwise please explain how someone that is not eligible may carry in a vehicle that is not "his or hers".

20. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

This.