Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
My daughter is getting to go with her employer.......

I am SOOOOOOOO Jealous!! :lol:

·
Registered
592 Posts
I only go when they hold it in Orlando....so its been a few years. Great time though if you ever get the chance.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I am sitting in Hartsfield-Jackson airport right now with my wife. We are heading to Las Vegas, because she is going to the Redken Synposium, because she is a hairdresser, and I am just tagging along. We booked this trip months ago. So while she is getting smoothies for us, I get a call from Marshall at GoingGear, and offered me a job. Of course I said yes, so I am super stoked.

Anyway, he is going to Las Vegas for SHOT show the same dates we are going to LV, and asked if I would like to come...I didn't even hesitate to say yes. SO STOKED! :love:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First day of SHOT was pretty good. I'm amazed that the huge variety of companies that participate in this market. There were a few good notable things as well. Daniel Defense introduced a 6.8mm AR-based hunting rifle that is pretty cool. Glock is celebrating their 25th anniversary in the US with a special G17 that has a cool little emblem in the grip. Smith and Wesson introduced a version of the Taurus Judge called the "Governor."

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
ChipM said:
First day of SHOT was pretty good. I'm amazed that the huge variety of companies that participate in this market. There were a few good notable things as well. Daniel Defense introduced a 6.8mm AR-based hunting rifle that is pretty cool. Glock is celebrating their 25th anniversary in the US with a special G17 that has a cool little emblem in the grip. Smith and Wesson introduced a version of the Taurus Judge called the "Governor."
:ttiwwp:

Sorry, obvious... ;)

Is it like an industry free-for-all or are new announcements/releases done in larger than life presentation/unveiling events?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
45_Fan said:
Sorry, obvious... ;)

Is it like an industry free-for-all or are new announcements/releases done in larger than life presentation/unveiling events?
I know, I know - I didn't take my camera today,thought! Any requests for tomorrow?

The setup is your standard trade-show free for all; I didn't witness any of the announcements, but most of the larger booths have some sort of event going on during the week.

·
Registered
798 Posts
As luck would have it, my wife and I are headed to Vegas with some friends on Thursday to celebrate a "milestone" birthday.

We're all looking forward to going to the show on Friday.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
ChipM said:
I know, I know - I didn't take my camera today,thought! Any requests for tomorrow?

The setup is your standard trade-show free for all; I didn't witness any of the announcements, but most of the larger booths have some sort of event going on during the week.
Pics of any interesting new EBRs or pistols. I'm curious what innovation looks like these days.

If you get bored:
If that Taurus Raging Judge 28 ga is for real, find out if it requires an AOW stamp or how they get around that.
Try to stick a magnet to the S&W M&P-22 slide. See if they have a release date.
See if you can get a release date or ballpark price on the newest Ruger 22/45 with the threaded barrel.

Bonus points:
Picture of Jeff Quinn and Nutnfancy arm wrestling.
Picture of a 380 pistol in a large rifle mag or being chambered in a large rifle.
Picture of one of those heat seeking nuclear tipped things that go up so that I can figure out what all of the excitement is over.

Just don't prioritize any of my requests over having fun out there!

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
45_Fan said:
ChipM said:

Pics of any interesting new EBRs or pistols. I'm curious what innovation looks like these days.

If you get bored:
If that Taurus Raging Judge 28 ga is for real, find out if it requires an AOW stamp or how they get around that.
Try to stick a magnet to the S&W M&P-22 slide. See if they have a release date.
See if you can get a release date or ballpark price on the newest Ruger 22/45 with the threaded barrel.

Bonus points:
Picture of Jeff Quinn and Nutnfancy arm wrestling.
Picture of a 380 pistol in a large rifle mag or being chambered in a large rifle.
Picture of one of those heat seeking nuclear tipped things that go up so that I can figure out what all of the excitement is over.

Just don't prioritize any of my requests over having fun out there!
Whoops, cameras are apparently only allowed for media. So, no photos.

The Raging Judge is real. It is enormous, but appears well-made. It is not an AOW because it has a rifled bore.
I didn't have a magnet handy, but the M&P-22 literature says it is made by Walther, and in handling the firearm the slide mass felt lighter than I would expect for traditional steel. So, maybe similar to the P22 in construction? They expect to start shipping them in February.
The Ruger with threaded barrel is ready to start shipping next week - I totally forgot to ask about price (oops!).

I don't know all that much about the EBR world, but from my quick glances around I'd have to say the main trend is toward gas pistons. I already mentioned Daniel's new rifle, which is sold under the "Ambush" name and mainly differentiates from their other AR's by having a foregrip attached to the rail that mimics the feel of a traditional hunting rifle. There are all manners of doodads to hang off of rails, and of basic AR parts that are better/cheaper/etc than the comparable stuff on the market.

For pistols, I didn't see anything new today that hasn't been on the market for a while already. Small is in - the Ruger small 9 is nice looking. Taurus's line of slim .380's and 9's is sharp as well, and the Kahr .380 is tiny. Handling all of these firearms back to back is interesting in that you realize most major manufacturers make good products, and other than personal preference they all seem very competitive (for example, Glock, M&P, Sig, HK are all super nice).

·
Registered
541 Posts
(I know this is not about me being at SHOT Show but it has got me excited)

As I said earlier, my daughter is at SHOT Show with her employer and is working the show. She just called us and told me her boss took all the employees to dinner and Les Baer joined them for dinner!!

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
I've heard a rumor about a .22lr MP44 being made by GSG. Any truth to this comming out of Shot Show?

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
I've heard a rumor about a .22lr MP44 being made by GSG. Any truth to this comming out of Shot Show?
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011 ... fle-22-lr/

ATI StG 44 rifle (.22 LR)
Next year (2012) American Tactical Imports will be selling a .22 rifle patterned after the Sturmgewehr 44. The gun on display was just a prototype but it felt and looked great. The gun will be manufactured by GSG (who make the MP5 .22 clones) and imported into the USA by ATI.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
mountainpass said:
GAGunOwner said:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011 ... fle-22-lr/

ATI StG 44 rifle (.22 LR)
Next year (2012) American Tactical Imports will be selling a .22 rifle patterned after the Sturmgewehr 44. The gun on display was just a prototype but it felt and looked great. The gun will be manufactured by GSG (who make the MP5 .22 clones) and imported into the USA by ATI.
Awesome!

Unless it is super expensive I think I'm going to have to have one of those.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts