Anyone filled their Federal and GA Taxes?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by 1911, Feb 26, 2019.

1. 1911

1911 7 Year Member

I can't get the forms to file them.

I know I owe GA a little money, but what can I do without the official documents?

2. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

This year I used tax software, but last year I used the fillable forms downloaded from the Georgia Dept. of Revenue site:

dor.georgia.gov/documents/forms

It lets you enter your info and does simple math, then you print it out and mail it.

I did something similar with the federal taxes last year, but it was so frustrating to use, I payed for TurboTax this year. My taxes did not qualify to use any of the free services linked on the federal and state webpages.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I use TurboTax.

Mafuta54 likes this.
  4. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

Turbo Tax.

Mafuta54 likes this.
  5. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

Been using TT for 10 years.

Mafuta54 likes this.
  6. DKW

DKW Active Member

I did my stepdaughter taxes using the PDF versions from Fed IRS and Ga Dept of Revenue.

The Fed PDF worked great.

The GA state one, not so much. It would let you fill in part of the data but some blocks it wouldn't let you fill in. I just filled in the top portion (i.e. name, address, etc) and then wrote in the bottom part.

7. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

I gave up on Turbotax a few years ago. They wanted almost double the price just to file a Schedule C. Not calculate it, merely add it to my return. I switched to HR Block and have never looked back.

8. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

I have used TurboTax for almost 10 years. I have already filed and have received my refund. The last 2 years I have filed for free.

9. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

TurboTax, and it always wants me to file a GA return even though I am out of state with tiny GA income still. It is pretty good at pre-loading the interest and dividend income from financial companies and W2 from employer but lousy at importing the previous year TurboTAx form info from disk.

The GA tax regs as to whether I, as an out of state guy who gets a GA W2, am required to file are not intelligible.

My $400 / year life insurance premium's imputed income paid by a former employer comes with a year-end W2. Every year I think I'll blow it off but then I put on the extra stamps and mail the whole load in. And of course I always owe GA $0.00.

10. pilotdrh

pilotdrh Member

I filed using Creditkarma.com last year, not too bad, and it's free. Fed and state.

11. codegeek

codegeek codegeek reincarnate

Yup. TurboTax. Terribly disappointed like the rest of the snowflakes that I didn't give the government more of my money in an interest free loan. My Federal refund was about a quarter of what it used to be.

12. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Finished up yesterday. Almost got zapped by the changes. The loss of dependent deductions hit hard. Over payment of Social(ist) Security tax (changed jobs so the new employer didn't see me hit the limit) and American Opportunity Credit (kid in college) saved my butt. I adjusted my withholding allowances downward so I should be even at the end of 2019. I lost one dependent this year and should lose more in the future as they graduate and get on somebody else's payroll.

13. StarJack

StarJack Well Aged Member

I was about $400 over the max 10K allowed in deductions. Meh. They took less out of each check of course, which means the refund was smaller. Overall, I paid 2% less in taxes for 2018. I'm surrounded by leftist at work squealing that Trump lied and that they paid several % more in taxes because they "got back less". I don't even try to educate them. The TDS is strong with them.

14. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

i use my CPA in michigan, been doing that for a while now.

15. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

We under-withheld to the tune of around $5,700 this year federal. Not anything I was not expecting though. Still, the largest withholding deficit in my young 62 years. Missed breaking even on GA by around $200.

16. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

About $2700 here

17. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

I got back $38 fed and $8 state. That’s about as close as I can get it with a March 2018 estimate and leaving it be.

On this end I don’t think it changed much at filing time but I think I got a little more in each paycheck.

I’m still itemizing but if I were retired with the house paid off or if I were married single income with the house payed off I would probably come out ahead filing with the standard deduction.

18. StarJack

StarJack Well Aged Member

That's outstanding, congratulations!

19. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Last year was a bad year, as my income was down. This year, my income leapt up. Unfortunately, I did not pay anywhere near enough in taxes to cover the bill on my newfound fortune, so I am going to be paying substantially more. As a result, I am waiting until the final deadline for filing and paying.

atlsrt44 likes this.
  20. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

8900 owed to feds and 2700 owed to state.