Anyone ever chopped a nickel barrel?

Discussion in 'How to' started by ThetaReactor, May 23, 2019.

1. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

I've got a satin nickel Stoeger coach gun. It's fun, but it's a little short for sporting use and a little low-capacity for defensive use. In the interest of making it more fun and cool, I'm thinking of going NFA with it.

So, what do I have to worry about when chopping a nickel plated gun? I'm not terribly concerned about aesthetics. I just don't want excessive chipping at the muzzle. Cold blue? Clear nail polish? Plasti-dip?

2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Do nothing. At least until after the election next year. You want to make sure you have Biden's double barrel shotgun handy if you need to go out on the balcony to fire 2 blasts. He promises you anyone who is ever coming in you don't need an AR-15.

Nemo

3. ThetaReactor

The way politics and the climate are going, I should probably get my Mad Max prep done sooner rather than later. Already got a V8 Falcon in the driveway. :p

4. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

I haven’t chopped a barrel, but if you do...
    You will want to chamfer the cut.
    You will probably need to braze (or weld) something in the gap(s) created at the front of the barrels.

If I were to attempt it? Bandsaw, file(s), assorted grits of sandpaper. Probably some sort of guide to keep the saw from skidding toward the receiver end, friend with welder and experience, beer for said friend.

I’m not sure the barrel is plated. It may be a nickel steel.

ThetaReactor likes this.
  5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Do you really? <---- If you're serious I'd like to see pics.

If I was a billionaire I would have two made, one from the first movie and one from the second. The only difference is that blower would not be a fake movie prop. It would run and push 12-15 PSI of air into the engine.

I would drive them to get groceries and go to church.

Archangel likes this.
  6. ThetaReactor

[​IMG]
    Not quite the Falcon you were looking for. Few years older and from the wrong side of the planet. ;)

It's mostly original. Front seats are from an 80s Taurus, with shoulder belts, and it's got Granada front spindles with disc brakes. Factory 302.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Archangel and Adam5 like this.
  7. Malum Prohibitum

8. Malum Prohibitum

"Last of the V8 Interceptors! A piece of history... Would've been a shame to blow it up."

9. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Blower sounded good in the movie

10. MWAG

MWAG Active Member

Movie was on TV last night

11. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

That good sounding blower may have been edited in after the fact.

12. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Dont ruin my fantasy lol