Anyone else rethinking their EDC?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Wheedle, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

I have been CC'ing a Shield 9mm and spare mag for a while now, figuring 15 rounds and ease of carry/concealability was a good balance. In light of recent events, I'm thinking screw worrying about occasional printing, and carrying the full-size and a spare mag...

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Yes. I recently traded-into a full sized 9mm that has a 5" barrel and uses 16-round mags.
    I have two extra mags (total of 3).
    I'm thinking about packing that more often, so that if I'm around when the next public massacre nutjob reveals himself, I can engage him more effectively, and from much longer ranges, than I could with my normal "get off me" pocket sized gun.

3. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Nope, Glock 26 with 12+1 mag all of the time and an extra 17 round mag much of the time.

4. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Well-Known Member

The only thing I'm likely to change is to carry a second spare magazine for my P229R. Then again, if I get into a situation where I need more than the 33 rounds I walk around with currently, I'm likely further up the creek than will be fixable with more bullets.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I actually don't own a pistol with a capacity over 9 rounds anymore.

6. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

This, for me.

But I know from experience (two feral dogs attacking my chickens) that I'm pretty darn accurate with it against a small, fast-moving target at distances up to about 30 yards with it. And I also know my carry ammo is pretty darn effective as well.

7. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

Nine rounds could have made a world of difference in Orlando.

vic40204 likes this.
  8. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

I actually down sized....but i think my skill with the small one is pretty darn good...so if i can count on my shot placement, i should be fine....i think.

If anything i will carry another mag.

But....if things got really bad, I'd switch to my G22.

9. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

my daily carry hasn't changed,but I did move the AR Pistol and 2 30rd mags into the van in case I run into trouble :D

10. Siege

Siege Active Member

Nope. Even being rusty as I am, I can reload mags in no time flat.

I carry because of the unpredictable and the unforseen - the unlikely. Not because I want to shoot anyone, not because I think I'm going to find myself in a situation where I'll have to shoot anyone... but because it's certainly possible I may have to draw on someone again in self-defense. I don't keep a fire extinguisher in the house because I want to expect to use it, but just in case, because it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. How stupid would you feel if your house burned down with all your belongings in it all because you didn't have a fire-extinguisher?

That said, I don't keep a fire-truck at my house. I don't insist on a hydrant being installed at the curb. I have enough extinguishers to cover any likely need, but I certainly don't have a dozen in every room, nor do I have them for every conceivable type of fire, just the ones that are most likely, most common: standard, electrical, and cooking (grease).

Which is why I won't be changing my carry. Sure, I MIGHT one day find myself in a situation like that that happened just this last weekend. However, even though it remains a slim and highly unlikely chance, the occasion where I need my firearm is VASTLY more likely to be in defense of self or others at relatively short ranges, and my original choice of EDC is still 100% suitable and ideal for that purpose.

If you're going to change up your EDC based on the event this last weekend out of some belief that at some point you might find yourself in such a situation (regardless of how statistically insignificant the possibility of that is), well, why not go whole-hog and just start carrying an AR- or AK- with you everywhere you go? After all, that's the only fully correct and appropriate response to an attacker with a semi-auto rifle. Or for that matter, a .44 auto-mag with extended magazines? Or a Calico M-900? Or why not a target pistol? Maybe it's because those things would be way more than what is reasonably and conceivably necessary in any common encounter?

I mean, yes, I was forced to point an AK-47 at someone to stop a violent felony from occurring, but that was a different story. I was in my place of business, not carrying the thing around with me all the time. It certainly made a hell of a statement compared to the Ruger Hunter MkV I normally carried, which probably wouldn't have put the same level of fear in the bad guy, but I can't say that the pistol wouldn't have ended the situation just the same. Was I happy I had it? Of course. That was even occasion number 3 of me having to point a gun at someone that convinced me to go get a permit and ensure I would never again be "armed only by accident or coincidence"... but it still didn't make me want to carry an AK with me at all times, and neither has this event down in Florida.

Do you really think a few extra meters, and a few extra rounds in the mag are going to make enough of a difference in such a situation, and that you being in that situation is likely enough, to warrant carrying more than what you actually need, or is convenient or sane, to stop carrying what had previously always suited your needs, in favor of something that is rather more than what you need? Do you really need a bigger, heavier gun with much bigger mags?

Or is it more likely that, regardless of what you're carrying, that any firearm you're comfortable and competent with is likely to be just as effective? Is it possible that your newer EDC choice in response to this event might actually not be a hindrance, by being too big, too bulky, too uncomfortable, too hard to draw, different manual of arms than what you're used to, etc, and could be more trouble than what it's worth?

Case in point: the FBI Miami shootout. The FBI managed to use their after action report to support a claim that their previous issue weapons and they all needed to switch to 10mm, even though not a single round of 10mm was fired during the whole event, and in fact the bullet that ended the whole thing was NOT from a 10mm, or 9mm Beretta, or a 1911: it was a single, well placed shot fired from a .38spcl REVOLVER with a 5 round capacity.

The judicious exercise of marksmanship is what wins gunfights by actually hitting your target, not the ability to spay large numbers of bullets downrange with no regard for whether they hit your target, or innocents in the vicinity.

Me, I'll stick with my trusty, reliable and familiar compact 1911 with it's 7+1 capacity, and a few spare magazines. Not only do I know when and how to dump and replace them quickly, but if nothing else, maybe the decreased capacity serves as a good, built-in reminder to make every effort to make each shot count and hit its target, instead of just pulling the trigger repeatedly trying to lay down "covering fire" that is almost never appropriate outside a war zone (which of course includes DC, Chicago, and Detroit).

11. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

About a year ago I changed from a 5 shot Charter Arms Undercover 38 to a 15 round mag S&W 5906 for 2 main reasons. First the UC is something I purchased for mom about 35 years ago so kind of a family heirloom.

Next, the 5906 is stainless steel. I like that because if I get outside and start sweating like a waterfall it is more capable of withstanding that abuse.

As far as a second magazine, see the relevant tagline below. I do not have a good number that will get a Warthog airborne.

Nemo

12. phaed

phaed Active Member

i'm sensing a 1911 fan...

[​IMG]

13. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

When I carry my CZ75B-SA, I have a total of 4 mags and 74 rounds. I feel like that is too many rounds, but I also have a feeling that if I ever encounter anything like Paris or Orlando did, I will be wishing for at least double that amount.

14. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Well-Known Member

Well that was particularly long-winded Siege.

I can agree that marksmanship takes priority in any altercation where a firearm is necessary. Tom Givens counters the claim "You don't have time to aim," with "No, you don't have time to miss". Then there's the adage of "fast is fine, but accuracy is final."

That being said, in this day and age capacity has relevance. Not just for the extremely unlikely terror attack ala Westgate Mall or Club Pulse, but for instances where one may be faced with multiple aggressors. Many criminals operate in groups these days, anywhere from 3-5 deep or however many they can fit in their vehicle of choice. Sure, once you draw down or starts shooting they MIGHT bug out, or they might decide to press their numbers advantage, especially if they have firearms of their own. Too many people are under the illusion that everyone's afraid of a gun pointed at them.

Carrying a "combat sized" handgun and spare mags isn't all that challenging outside of a non-permissive environment (any place there'll be serious consequences if you're caught carrying like work for most or schools currently). Hell, when I first started carrying I used to CC a Sig P226, and I was a bit smaller then. Some people complain about heavy guns, but with this generation of plastic fantastics, carrying a well-rounded gun like a Glock 19 isn't that cumbersome.

Single-stack guns and revolvers tend to be 1-2 person problem solvers at best, unless you're scoring instantly-incapacitating shots with each bullet. The beauty of more capacity isn't necessarily so that you can shoot more, it's so that you can reload less. Reloading, while extraordinarily rare in a defensive gun use, is a great time of vulnerability. Now, when looking at averages/statistics, most encounters are over within 3-6 shots fired at bad-breath distances. But what happens when your encounter is the statistical exception? Hope you were practicing just in case.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I have read it over very carefully several times ever since Col. Cooper first wrote this, but, no, I do not see what he meant. Can anybody help me out?

16. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

I stay away from herds of people as much as I can. I never liked crowds. I don't even like going to the store during the first of the month.

17. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Either my 1911 or my Walther CCP.

18. Siege

Siege Active Member

I have looked into the same thing and have no idea what he meant, but didn't want to butcher the quote by cutting parts out and then having people asking me why I did that.

Also didn't mean to imply the Col. was absolutely correct, or infallible by any means, but the point he's making does have some merits.

19. codegeek

codegeek codegeek reincarnate

definitely thinking about carrying th Glock 19 more...

20. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

It hasn't been just this most recent event that triggered the internal conversation... that has been going on for a while. The suspicion of multiple shooters, which seems highly likely, has definitely played into it though.