Anyone else open carry to the N GA State Fair???

Discussion in 'LEO Encounters' started by psrumors, Oct 5, 2010.

1. psrumors

psrumors Well-Known Member

We were there on Saturday. I was open carrying a G36. Took my son to the restroom and upon my return there were two Cobb County Officers talking to my wife.....turns out they were giving her a hard time (flirting) about her Alabama shirt (ROLL TIDE!!!!).

One officer made the comment "I assume you have a license" in which I replied "your assumption is correct" and from there the conversation continued about the games being played Saturday evening.

2. dunkel

dunkel New Member

I did consider it. I finally decided to cc just because I had the kids and grandparents there and didn't want any hassle. I do oc most of the time, but guess I just didn't have the balls for it at the fair.

3. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

I'm calling BS. No way Cobb County didn't lay you out. :lol:

4. Campeck1911

Campeck1911 New Member

I would have if my .45 had sights on it.
    So I was going to CC...
    Then I thought how crazy it would be if my gun went flying through the air off one of the rides. So with that in mind and all the cops immediately available I decided not to carry at all! :screwy:

5. regor60

regor60 New Member

Fixed that for you

6. jsmn4vu

jsmn4vu New Member

:roll:

7. darkstar3d

darkstar3d Paratrooper

I OCed there while working years ago. But, that nasty PG thing was in effect so only the cops and bad guys had guns.

8. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

I think that the OP's answer to the Officer's question was entirely appropriate ("your assumption is correct"). Not only did he not come off as somewhat argumentative, but he probably created some good will between himself and the officers.

I doubt if the original reply was the "AIFTG", that the conversation would have continued about the games being played. Probably would have turned off the Officers to the friendly attitude of the OP.

Just my .02

9. psrumors

psrumors Well-Known Member

I had no inclination that I was being detained so that question would not fit the scenario.

10. Paladin

Paladin Fattus Patrickus

What difference between the officer asking "I assume you have a license?", and "I assume you came here in some type of motor vehicle?". AIFTG wouldn't be appropriate until the officer asked "May I see the motor vehicle you arrived in?" or "May I see your license?".

11. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Cobb? Sorry... I am calling BS until I see the videos and Police Reports.... :lol:

12. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

You open carried into the fair? I got stopped last Friday evening thrying to enter when the Cobb SO Deputy saw the clip on my knife, he told me I would have to leave it in the car to enter the fair. I was CCing at the time and went to the car and left knife and while I was there I put my gun in the car as well. I didn't want to ruin the night for my wife and daughter if my gun was spotted. When I got back to the gate the same deputy thanked me for taking my knife to the car. I asked him why I couldn't bring it in with me and he said the fair management didn't want weapons in the fair. I guess i should have kept my gun with me, apparently knives are considered weapons there and guns aren't :screwy: .

13. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

I thought SB 308 covered knives too. A weapon is a weapon. Huh?

14. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Only if the blade is over 5 inches.

15. pony

pony New Member

I figured I would revive this for this years fair :)

Me and some friends went last night. I cc'ed and as we went past the sherifs at the entrance the asked me "You don't have a pocket knife on you do you?" I smiled and said "no sir I don't" and walked on in. I find it so odd that they are worried about knives but I didn't once hear anyone ask about a gun.

There were at least 5 signs posted that said no weapons. SOMETIMES I love GA law :)

16. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

:righton: I'll second your two cents and raise you two more. Maybe more interactions like that with Cobb PD and they will ease up a bit on carriers.

17. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Not to be insultive, but Cobb Sheriff Deputies are not regularly on the road dealing with citizens. This is due to their roles and responsibilities within the county. As a general rule they can not handle calls for service or even know to handle most calls the average P.D. officer can handle with little thought. They do work "extra-jobs" or "part-time" jobs, which puts them in an unfamiliar area, usually leaving them in the strange position of calling Cobb P.D. to handle calls and incidents when they occur at their part time job. There is no question they have the authority to handle calls, accidents or make arrests, but for the most part they lack the training or familiarity to do it with confidence and simply call the Cobb Police. There are only a few Cobb S.O. deputies that "work the road" and that is usually limited to civil papers and every now and again warrant service, which is not "working the road".

The State fair is a political thing. So the Sheriff places his deputies there on the county clock ususally so they can be seen. I wouldn't be suprised if the deputy you are refering to did not know all the rules for the fair ground and was just enforcing his own personal rules, or what he was told by someone else who knew just as little. There are ususally a few Police officers on scene at the fair also. You might have had better luck finding one of them and asking.

18. fuentesd99

fuentesd99 New Member

OK, maybe I am missing something or missed something. I thought that you CAN NOT carry a firearm at a public gathering? Did this law change with out me knowing or is a fair that is open to the public NOT a public gathering? Someone please enlighten me.

19. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

I CCed at the fair this year. I got stopped by a deputy last year carrying in my pocket knife. I made sure I had everything concealed this year.

20. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Public gather law was repealed.