Anyone else like maps/geography stuff?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by pro2am, Oct 24, 2007.

1. pro2am

pro2am New Member

2. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

very 8) Thanks for posting that.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Me and my little boy love maps.

4. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Everyday at work, besides using Google Earth I visit Live Local. If you download and use the 3D plug-in feature, it gets really cool. I can't even type about using the 'Bird's Eye' view, without a towel within arm's reach.

Yeah... I'm a map junkie. :mrgreen:

5. 47Cowboy

47Cowboy New Member

+ 1 on being a "map junkie"

6. Macktee

Macktee New Member

WOW!

Cool sites. Thanks!

One of my favorite possessions is a globe I've had since grade school. It's amazing how many country names have changed just in my lifetime!

OH! Budder and Ramm.... just keep the smart-assed ageist remarks to yourselves! And stay off my lawn... ya young punks!

:D

7. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Ramm, you've got a PM.

8. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

9. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

I enjoy maps immensely. I really enjoyed the military history class offered in college. We learned about War Between the States battles via maps and such, then traveled to them. We then used the maps to track troop movements and tactics. Map lover ever since. :D

10. 47Cowboy

47Cowboy New Member

just ckd out the sites, Thanks pro2am, I have some new resources now.

11. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

They knew the world was round when you were in grade school? :shock:

12. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

This is an excellent site. It's not just a map but a complete interactive presentation of the history of Russia's Great Patriotic War (GPW) from Operation Barbarossa to the fall of Berlin. As the timeline unfolds, look for links to historical documents and interviews with Russian veterans.

The purpose of the site is to laud the bravery and sacrifice of Russia's veterans in the GPW, as well as document the history of this event. I have found myself longing to see this project expanded to include all events of WWII as well as input from all the stake holders.

This site is by far the most poignant presentation of an event of WWII that I have found to date. The events cataloged here have great personal meaning to myself: my grandfather was among the many Germans lost to Hitlers quest for domination. Reviewing his letters from the war in the context of this presentation has provided me with a greater perspective of the events surrounding his life and death.

13. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I know! It went from Pangea to lots and lots of names.

(you didn't mention my name in the above list so I thought I'd go for it) :lol:

14. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

It's like that old joke:

Where were you born?
    St. Petersburg
    Where did you go to school?
    Petrograd
    Where were you married?
    Leningrad
    Where do you live now?
    St. Petersburg

15. merlock

merlock Active Member

Just...WOW! Excellent site!

16. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Even more amazing that they discovered the whole "world is round" thing since then too!!! :wink:

Next time I'm in your neck of the woods, you'll have to show me what a flat globe looks like.

17. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

That site is freakin' cool.

I'm a history junkie... unfortunately I don't know much about it (crappy teachers, except for Mrs. Murray for AP US History) but I'm learning

18. brianh

brianh New Member

Maps are my living. Literally. (I'm a GIS professional). Even though I'm surrounded by some of the most expensive digital mapping technology every day I still stop and stare in wonder at old maps.

A co-worker brought a copy of the Atlas of Civil War Battles the other day. It's a compendium of battle maps drawn by Civil War engineers. I spent over an hour just marveling at the beauty of these old hand drawn maps. Before the advent of digital cartography map making was as much an art as a science, and hand drawn maps truly are a work of art.

19. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I spent a number of years using a GIS program for a retail business to map out growth areas and new opportunities. The program was called Atlas..I think they were eventually bought out by ESRI...not sure about that though. It was really cool to see the power of maps when data (i.e. census/marketing databases, etc.) is overlayed on them. It was so beneficial to the business planning process that I even had the President of the company come down and ask me for specific maps and information.

Good stuff.

20. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

This is where I go for my maps when I go hiking or land navigation. All the TOPO 1:24000 scale are UTM and are very accurate.