Anyone Bird hunt?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by luke0927, May 9, 2007.

1. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Just wondering..... GA upland bird habitat and population is pretty low for wild birds, and i wasn't old enough to grow up back in the 70's and 80's when you could acutally find wild coveys...

ive got two GSP's just wondering if anyone hunst Quai, or dove etc.... here in GA

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

I do both, but getting a place to find quail is tough unless you wanna pay and I can't afford to pay so it's mainly dove. My lab don't care, just as long as he gets to bring em to me.

3. Dan H

Dan H New Member

I take my friends snipe hunting, does that count?

4. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

now if you want to go on a good dove hunt do i have the place....

Davis Family Farm went down there for opening weekend last year best dove shoot i have ever been on pay $75 for Saturday and Sunday and you will shoot all day long...

Its a working farm and he plants corn and millet an plows it under and leaves some standing....makes for a good time.....

5. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Armed or unarmed :D

hell well count it

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

I grew up on stories from my Grandfather about him, his trusty Browning Sweet 16, good GSH Pointers and great "Bird" hunting in the 40's-70's. I think that many will agree with me that quail are perhaps the best tasting game animal out there. Fried Quail is a true southern delicacy! Rabbit runs a close second in my opinion.

I am afraid the good old days of bird hunting like my Grandfather described are gone....gone with the wind. With the changes in farming techniques, the rise of predators, and land being turned into shopping malls, the few wild Bob White left around here are struggling. I can't remember the last time I heard that distinctive "Bob White" whistle from a bird in the wild. It has been that long. Perhaps because I moved away from a more rural area into a cookie cutter subdivision.

The few times that I have been have always been on private reserves and the birds were all pin raised. Although I had a lot of fun I always felt like I was missing something. It felt, well artificial.

"Alright, you guys close your eyes while we go and hide 20 birds for you. BTW we accept Visa and Mastercard."

I don't hunt anymore. I don't have a "hook-up" anymore. I don't have the time, money or land either. Not that I wouldn't go if given the opportunity, but shooting for me has taken a much more defensive focus. It still breaks my heart to see something that was part of many of our families culture and traditions be lost.

7. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Not since I was a kid.
    My dad used to go allll the time. Just about every weekend was spent somewhere in Cochran or points south during season. He always had between 2 & 10 dogs. I was rather young back in the late 70's but I did get to go a couple of times. I remember donning the chaps & boots & carrying the 20ga alllll day. I was a bit too young to get into it. :(
    I do remember getting into several coveys of birds just about every trip. I loved the quick rush when 5-20 birds get up somewhere in front of the dogs. That's hunting! No sitting in a stand, no standing around the edge of a field or squatting next to a pond; get out & roam all over the fall/winter fields & lowlands and the edges of that great south Ga swamp land. :!:

and OMG what my old man could do with a mess of birds, some white nun, pepper and flour. My mouth waters just thinking about it. He could do the same thing with squirrels too. Never got into rabbits much.

Then I remember getting a bit older & wandering in fields where you could see houses not too far off & not finding many birds at all... Finally my dad just stopped going. Very sad. :cry:

When I bought my new house it abutts about 1800 acres of private hunting preserve. The guy that built my house is a brother in the family that owns the land. He drove me around on it one day to let me see what all was back there & explained "arranged" quail hunts. Raise the birds in a barn via incubators. Then when mostly old enough you gather 20-50 birds out of the barn, & toss them in an old canvas sack. Then spin the sack around & around like a plane prop. Then you just take the birds out & place them in various bushes & clumps of grass prior to the hunt. Apparently the spinning around mixes the birds up so bad that they will sit under that same bush for a long time. Later in the morning you & your "guide" comes along with the dogs & WHAT A SURPRISE!!! finds the birds. bang bang. Then you go home. If that's not a sad excuse for bird hunting I don't know what is. Prior to this I always thought those paid excursions were on places that just had wild birds available, kept track of their #'s & limited how many were taken each season. What a rude awakening for me.

8. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

I've done Dove hunts. It was fun the first time because of the exotic factor. I hated it the second time because we didn't get any. From what I hear, GA sucks for dove.

I'd like to do it again but only if I shoot alot. Its expensive to just sit in a field.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

I've been to some Dove "hunts" that were very active. I wouldn't say I have ever been to one that sucked though. I've have not been on one since 1998 so maybe things have changed. We always had strips that were planted with all types of goodies like sunflowers so the birds were always there.

Most of the time for me a dove "hunt" was about hanging out with guys, telling jokes and lies, and laughing at folks missing the birds. To me the best part of the hunt was the cookout later that night anyway where more jokes and lies were told!

10. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Well Dove season will be open around the first saturday in Sept. We may can arrange something i have went on a few that the action was slow but i have found a good place now.....and they say it is the same every year.

as four quail taste i will agree it is white meat that taste great!! wrapp it in bacon and grill it OMG.....

I fulshed a wild covey last year but it was while tracking a deer it was in a clear cut that was so thick you could not hunt it.....

Makes me sad to see that i never really got to enjoy the land when it was at its best around here.

11. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

We can get the quail back. It's simply a matter of getting hunters to "manage hunt" racoons, possum, and fox. It's no coincidence that quail numbers started going down when folks stopped hunting these nest robbers...

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Link?

13. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Yep, I remember Grandpa taking some shots at targets of opportunity.....including some in the sky that by law he shouldn't have.....but he was from a another generation that did things differently.

14. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Link?[/quote:1dhj6jxc]

Nope this is just a good ol' famer who runs a dairy farm and grows corn an millet and host a dove shoot every year....I'll see if i can dig some info up on it.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Oh. Is it crowded? If not, I am interested.

16. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

I wouldnt say it was crowded but there were several people there...he has around 300 acres but it was full enought you would want to mark your spot on firday cause if you wait till saturday you might not get the ideal spot.....