Anyone Actually Arrested/Convicted in Parking Lot?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by MrMorden, Sep 19, 2007.

1. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

I'm just curious...according to the PG law precedents cited on this site, it's illegal (and a felony) to have a gun in your car glovebox at a Marta station or similar parking lot.

Has anybody ever actually been arrested or convicted based on this, or are we just being cautious based on the wording of the law?

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

https://georgiapacking.org/caselaw/hubbardvstate.htm

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

The wording of the law says that it's illegal, plain and simple.

https://www.georgiapacking.org/gflpol.php

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Public gatherings and Marta are two different laws.

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

PG law doesn't specifically say parking lots are off-limits, the courts have ruled that they are.

The "Marta" law specifically says that parking lots are off limits.

How do you think the courts would rule? :D

6. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

The laws of the state and nation are written, doesn't mean they are right, then the law that us written gets before a judge as you the defendant, does not mean that the judges interpretation of the law is the same as yours or your attorney.

I think it has a lot more to do with your geographical location. I believe that I can get away with a lot more here in rural West Georgia than I can in downtown Atlanta simply due to the politics and the Sheriff or Chief of Police perception of the laws and personal dislikes.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

selective enforcement

I'm convinced that the gun laws of this state were written to be only selectively enforced against minorities and against perceived troublemakers.

8. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

Re: selective enforcement

I agree, but now it gives anti-gun judges power.

9. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

You've read this, right?

And this?

and don't forget this little gem.

10. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

Other Laws in Georgia:

• Acworth: All citizens must own a rake.
    • An old law in Columbus, Ga., made it illegal to sit on your porch in an indecent position.
    • A Kennesaw, Ga. law makes it illegal for every homeowner not to own a gun, unless you are a convicted felon, conscientious objector or disabled.
    • Against the law to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp.
    • Atlanta: Against the law to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp; One man may not be on another man's back.
    • Columbus: Can't cut off a chicken's head on Sunday; It is illegal to carry a chicken by it's feet down Broadway on Sunday.
    • Donkeys may not be kept in bathtubs.
    • Gainesville: Chicken must be eaten with the hands.
    • Georgia has 75 laws on how to build rice paddies, even though the state has only one rice farm left. Rice was the state's No. 1 crop before the Civil War. But right after the war, a hurricane destroyed all the paddies and ponds. It was too expensive to replace them without slaves, so the Rice State began growing peaches, peanuts and other crops.
    • Georgia officials were revising their state laws in 1981, and noticed they still allowed pensions for Confederate widows. That week the last widow died. Lawmakers bowed their heads, and deleted the law.
    • In Atlanta, Georgia, it is illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp.
    • In Columbus, Georgia it is illegal to sit on one's porch in an indecent position.
    • In Georgia, movie houses that want to show films on Sunday must reserve one showing a month for religious material.
    • It is illegal in Georgia to use profanity in the presence of a corpse.
    • In Quitman, It is illegal for a chicken to cross the road.
    • It is illegal to change the clothes on a storefront mannequin unless the shades are down.
    • It is illegal to say "Oh, Boy" in Jonesboro.
    • It is illegal to take a bath of orange peel.
    • It is illegal to use profanity in front of a dead body which lies in a funeral home or in a coroners office.
    • It used to be against the law in Jonesboro, Ga., to utter the words, "Oh boy."
    • Jonesboro: It is illegal to say "Oh, Boy"
    • Kennesaw: Every head of household must possess a firearm of some kind.
    • Marietta: Though it is illegal to spit from a car or bus, citizens may spit from a truck.
    • Members of the state assembly cannot be ticketed for speeding while the state assembly is in session.
    • No one may carry an ice cream cone in their back pocket if it is Sunday.
    • One man may not be on another man's back.
    • Signs are required to be written in English.
    • St. Mary's: No spitting on the sidewalk is permitted after dark.
    • Though it is illegal to spit from a car or bus, citizens may spit from a truck.
    • You have the right to commit simple battery if provoked by "fighting" words.

11. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Bingo.

12. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

What about if you gun is locked and you have it on MARTA with you becuase you are going to check it at the airport so you can travel with it.....Shows you how F'd up our laws are....

I do believe the main problem we will have at making it legal to carry on marta is that it runs right into the Airport, Im sure hte anti's will rais hell about that.

13. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Because you can't just drive up to the airport with the same amount of stuff all packed up in your luggage? It's not like Marta goes beyond the secured area. Hell, you could have a minigun mounted to your roof and drive into the check-in area if you were really well funded.

14. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Not that it matters to me, but did anyone else notice this law?

15. Malum Prohibitum

Not necessarily. This happened there.

16. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Ridiculous isn't it?

17. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Yup. I mean, the normal car area and the Marta station are both connected to the baggage claim, and only the baggage claim is connected to the <strike>arm bone</strike> TSA checkpoint.

18. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Fair enough, but that was not my question. My question is: has anybody ever been arrested/convicted based on that law?

19. Malum Prohibitum

How would we know?

How would we know?

I am aware of no published case law regarding a conviction for carrying in the Marta parking lot, but that does not mean there are no arrests or convictions. In in reading news stories regarding shootings in Marta parking lots, it appears that the malefactors are never charged with this offense.

20. Malum Prohibitum

I am. :wink: