Anybody know what duty ammo APD and DeKalb PD carries?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Teeter, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

:?: Anybody know what duty ammunition the Atlanta Police Department carries? In 9mm, .40, and .45. How about DeKalb PD as well? Thanks, Teeter

2. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

I have a friend that just finished the Academy with APD and he carries a S&W .40.

I was talking to him at Church last week and said something along the lines of how carrying a GFL doesn't help you out that much because of all the restrictions! He's very PRO carry.

He then mentioned how HE can't even carry in the GA Aquarium. He wasn't thrilled about that either.

3. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

Do you know if APD or DeKalb PD carries Silvertips, Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, Winchester Ranger SXTs, etc.? Trying to find out what specific duty ammo the departments carry for the standard handgun calibers. Thanks, Teeter.

4. binderd22

binderd22 New Member

Dekalb Ammo

DeKalb police carry a Beretta 9mm. I'm not sure what brand of ammo.

5. Black Ice

Black Ice Member

I know APD carrys SW 9mm, not sure what type of ammo...

6. john

john New Member

ammo

I see some of them every so often, I will ask.

7. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

APD has switched to the S&W 4003, but I do not know what ammo they issue.

8. TecRsq

TecRsq New Member

Some might find this a little surprising but many use Georgia Arms for their ammo supplies.

I know our local agencies uses them and they tag on an order with several other local entities at the same time to cut down on the cost.

Great ammo from a local company.

9. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

I think the guys at Tucker Gun told me that their 9mmm ammo is Federal 9BPLE +P+

10. Pack N Man

Pack N Man New Member

It's been awhile since they put a bid out for the procurement of ammo for their services weapons. There are typicaly 4 or 5 bidders. Generally unless they spec out an exact brand they get what the lowest bidder is offering. That can be any number of different brands as long as it meets the specifications. Generally it is factory new but I have seen some training ammo that were hand loads awarded for some state contracts... I'll keep any eye out and if I see when they post their next bid and I will post it here.

11. Jk30265

Jk30265 Member

APD is now carrying Smith and Wesson M&P's in .40 calibre.

Dekalb SO Is HK's in .45

Dekalb PD????

Fulton PD is Glock 22's .40

Fulton SO is a mixture of Glock 22s .40 and Beretta's in .40 and 9mm

12. DKing

DKing New Member

I'm honestly not trying to be rude, but why do you care?

(I know the answer, you have been told you can limit or avoid liability by carrying the same type of gun and ammo as the police in your jurisdiction. That is utter and complete bull**** peddled by people selling magazines sponsored by large companies trying to push their products. If I'm wrong please correct me.)

13. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

Doug, that was the original premise but it's mostly curiosity now; several good articles by Massad Ayoob have illustrated that the "evil bullet indicating malevolent intent" can be handily defeated by competent counsel.

So, based on performance instead of political correctness, I've settled on Winchester Ranger SXTs and Cor-Bon DPXs for my ballistic threat management systems . . . .

Best, Teeter

14. DKing

DKing New Member

Good enough. I wonder who was finally able to beat some sense into Mas... oh well. BTW: Peter Pi is a nut. :wink:

15. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

Doug, check out Ayoob's 'Self-Defense and the Law' column in the February 2008 issue of "Combat Handguns"; it's entitled 'Ammo - Your Legal Responsibility: Does using police-only ammo help or hurt you in court?'.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/cat ... e-the-law/

Several other columns of interest there too.

Teeter

16. DKing

DKing New Member

That link only has a two paragraph teaser. :cry:

The long and the short of it is...

We shoot people in self defense to immediately bring an end to the situation. This is generally accompanied by a swift death for the person who was shot. We do not shoot to wound or maim. We shoot center of mass with sufficient rounds to immediately eliminate a threat to ourself and others of death or serious bodily harm.

Now, if you were legally justified in your shooting, it really doesn't matter if you used a bb gun or a howitzer in your self defense. Nor does it matter if your shooting was unjustified if you used a bean bag round that just happened to kill them. Deadly weapons are by definition deadly.

The point at trial is to focus the jury on the original assault and not to allow the prosecution to divert the juries attention to collateral issues. It doesn't hurt to make them look foolish for bringing it up either.

You want to do something that will save you in a trial? Don't worry about the ammo worry about the juries. Everyday we have a chance to change one persons viewpoint on self defense shootings. Each person who is awakened to our responsibility for our own safety is one more potential juror who would be fooled by tangential bullshit. We need to take society back from the people who believe that anyone with a gun is either a cop or a crook.

17. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

Could not agree with you more!! Just wanted to reference the article - which said essentially the same thing.

Have a happy and safe Memorial Day holiday,

Teeter

18. DKing

DKing New Member

Now I'm REALLY curious who got to Mas... 8)

19. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

That answers that question. I always wondered why anyone would care what LEO"S carry (unless they are planning a heist and want to know what is going to be shot at them)

20. brianh

brianh New Member

What really concerns me about this thread is that it appears no members of any of the LE agencies discussed stepped forward to respond. Do we not have members of APD and the Dekalb PD on this forum? We need to do a better job of reaching out to our LE brothers!