Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I really like the looks of a Ruger Vaquero - but I'm not too sure about the single action - does anybody know of a quality DA Cowboy looking revolver?

Am I wrong to care about da/sa?

·
Registered
840 Posts
many moons ago high standard made a revolver in .22 that looked "cowboy" and is a DA with swing out cylinder. Sorry, my Bro got it from my dad so i have no pictures.
I know of none in a larger caliber.

What is your proposed use for this pistol? That would determine how I would answer whether or not you are "wrong" to care about da/sa

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Early S&W K frames are "cowboy era". Heck, even 1911 are late "cowboy era".....

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
I've heard there was a double action centerfire revolver back in the late 19th century..... the Colt "Thunderer". Looks a lot like the famous single action gun of 1873, but this double-action version came out in 1878.
I don't think it was very popular back in the day.
Most double-action revolvers date to the early 1900s, which is not what most people think of as the Cowboy period.

There are probably more choices in .22 rimfire revolvers, if you want a double-action one with a single-action or "old West" look.

P.S. The rules for Cowboy Action Shooting contests say that the handgun has to be BOTH a model that was on the market before 1899, AND it has to be a single-action handgun only. Even though there were some semi-autos and some double-action revolvers on the market before 1899.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
niadhf said:
many moons ago high standard made a revolver in .22 that looked "cowboy" and is a DA with swing out cylinder. Sorry, my Bro got it from my dad so i have no pictures.
I know of none in a larger caliber.
I believe that would be the double nine, which is a fantastic firearm...if you can find one...

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,120 Posts
This is the Colt Thunderer:

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Though most people think that the "west was won" mid 19th century, the "cowboy period" actually lasted well into the time before WWI. Reviewing the famous outlaws that come to mind, made me realize that many continued on into the early 20th. Further, growing up in California and running around Wyoming, Idaho, Montana and Washington made me realize just how far-reaching our "western state of mind" is and how wild those places were!

Here's a quote about turn-of -the20thcentury arms I found somewhere....

"The "K" frame is the classic revolver of the 20th century. It was introduced in 1899 with the first S&W 38 Hand Ejector, also known as the .38 Military and Police (38 M&P). The model was aptly named as the K frame Smith became the basis for the most popular police issue revolvers of this century and for the famous Victory Models, issued to the Military during WWII. It may be thought of as the typical frame for a 6 shot 38 Special. The big "N" frame was introduced in 1908 for the famous S&W Triplelock 44 revolver. It has continued to become the basis for S&W’s Model 29 44 Magnum series of revolvers and could be considered the typical frame for a 44 or 45 caliber 6 shot revolver. The tiny M frame was used only for the 7 shot .22 Ladysmith revolver of the early 20th century."

The Colt New Service also springs to mind....

Also, several "cowboys" of fame carried early autoloaders, including the 1911, and were not taken seriously then.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess those USFA Double Eagles are what I'm looking for - but at about 1/3 that price. A modern DA revolver that looks like an old west gun.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
I guess those USFA Double Eagles are what I'm looking for - but at about 1/3 that price. A modern DA revolver that looks like an old west gun.
I didn't mean to mislead in my earlier post, but all USFA guns are single action.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Not cost effective to recreate double action revolvers from the 1800s. Tooooo many parts to construct!

Your best bet would probably be an original Smith and Wesson Model 29 (44 Magnum) Model 24 (44 Special) etc, which can be seen in many cowboy movies if you look close! The prices may run ya outta town though! As some of you may already know, these came from the Smith and Wesson 44 American, 44 Russian Open Top designs of the 1800s.

Elmer Kieth would be proud!

Direct link wont work so try this http://www.gunbroker.com/ and type in Smith and Wesson 29 or 24in the search window. Then select revolvers.

Uberti Replica Open Top and Russian
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/top_break.php
Prices over $1,000 just for a single action!!!!!
The Uberti Top Break is true to the original, designed by Major George Schofield at the Smith & Wesson factory in 1869. The Schofield revolver was created as a cavalry pistol. Its efficient, break-open design could be operated one-handed. That made it easy to eject all six spent cartridges and reload the single action revolver while on horseback.

The U.S. Cavalry was slow to see the merits of the top break, but Jessie James, John Wesley Hardin, and Wild Bill Hickok saw the fast reloading capability as a distinct advantage in their line of work. After numerous trials, the U.S. Army finally purchased three thousand top breaks with an improved top latch design.

However, it was the Russian government that truly embraced the new sidearm. The Czar ordered 41,000 top breaks with a modified grip design, lanyard ring, and a distinctive trigger spur.

True to the originals, Uberti Top Break No. 3 2nd models are available in .38 Special, .45 Colt, and .44-40. The New Model Russian, chambered in .45 Colt and .44 Russian, includes Cyrillic barrel stampings.
Ok, ok, I'm getting carried away. 1870 started out with the .44 American, then the .44 Russian, then to the .44 Special in 1907. With Elmer Kieth's help it transfered into the .44 Magnum in 1956.

3:10 to Yuma Uberti Top Break Replica

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Smith & Wesson Model 14-3 38special Double Action

1 - 14 of 14 Posts