Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And, by experience, I mean punching somebody with them. How well did they work?

My experience with them is limited to seeing them used in movies. I imagine therefore, that my view of them is about the same as if all of my knowledge about firearms and their effect upon humans was obtained my watching movies.

Are brass knuckles effective?

Do they add anything significant for a large, extraordinarily strong guy who knows how to throw an effective punch?

Any recommendations?

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
Do they add anything significant for a large, extraordinarily strong guy who knows how to throw an effective punch?
I've never owned/used any, but it seems to me that focusing your force on a small unyielding point (especially a squarish one) would significantly increase damage. And transferring the impact point from your knuckles to your radius/ulna takes out the flex/cushion in your wrist.

Consider the effect on the target as you progress from boxing gloves, to fighting gloves, to bare knuckles. Or for that matter, the difference between a billy club and a collapsible baton.

Of course, in the real world practicality of use may offset any advantages.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The biggest thing Brass Knuckles do is protect the hand bones from what is called a "boxer's break" due to poor punching technique. Most untrained people position the fist naturally, but incorrectly, when hitting a target. For an untrained person, the knuckle of the middle finger is typically the first point of contact. Unfortunately, this causes the bones in the hand to be misaligned with the force of the blow, with the weakest link being the Metacarpus bone directly behind the knuckle.

The correct position is to cock the fist slightly towards the pinky side and have the first two knuckles impact together. This aligns the bones and allows the force to transmit directly back through through both Metacarpuls. Even with training and practice, it is easy to miss and break your hand. Brass Knuckles bypass all the finger bones and transmit the force directly to the bones at the base of the hand. The additional focus of the impact area is a side benefit to reducing the risk of breaking your hand.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,160 Posts
Way back in high school (SoL has run) I had a headache with another student regarding his younger sister. He said he planned to whip my a** proper and cut me to pieces. I made up a finger reinforcement device. It was about 3/4" wide x 3/16" thick piece of steel bar with smooth rounded edges bent to fit a nicely cut and shaped wooden round bar that snugly fit in my fist. Good 2 part epoxy and it seemed to become one piece.

He showed his blade and I gave him one good punch, straight on with reinforcement device near vertical between the center of chin and point of nose. Understand it was everything I had in me. Like Rocky did taking out that Russian dude. He bled like a triple stuck pig and bothered me no more. I was told 17 stitches total, a broke nose and jammed jaw joints. He stayed on his feet but twisted away and left obviously having had enough right then.

I was 15-16, about 5'6" and likely 135lbs. Not a muscle dude or any such. He was about 5'9" and 170 or so and lived on a dairy farm and threw a hay bale or dozen daily.

Good knucks work well if you get them on target. I had no sore hand or wrist.

Nemo

·
Glock Block Supporter
2,573 Posts
I've never hit a person, but I've hit plenty of walls and doors, cause lots of damage and never really had any pain except for my palm was slightly sore once from hitting a concrete wall several times with the brass knuckles, where the knuckles rest in the palm. They can easily break bones, I personally think they are great to have.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts

·
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So nobody has any real experience with them? I mean, I appreciate your opinions, and the time it took to write them, but, other than punching walls, everything else looks like speculation gathered from the same sources of "knowledge" that "informed" me.

As for the video, I was definitely not too impressed. I have done much worse with bare hands in a much shorter period of time.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,160 Posts
So nobody has any real experience with them?
Go read #5 above. That should give you an idea of some homebuilt knuckles.

They work. I can get a pair if you want to be on the receiving end.

Nemo

·
A Typical Cat
1,743 Posts
Roll yer own.

How to make brass knuckles from bullet cases.

·
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Go read #5 above. That should give you an idea of some homebuilt knuckles.

They work. I can get a pair if you want to be on the receiving end.

Nemo
I missed your post, Nemo. Is what you made something akin to brass knuckles? I am having trouble visualizing the device from your description.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,160 Posts
Round wood grip about hand size tall and an inch in diameter with the metal forming the other 3 sides of a rectangle with rounded corners.

Think close fitting grip guard similar to a sabre or trench knife. The metal part just a flat bar the size noted above with about an inch or so clearance between the grip and guard so I can slip fingers through to grip the wood handle, lining metal side up over the fingers.

Nemo

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Doing a little googling, I came across this gem someone on another forum posted:

"Brass knuckles are not a self-defense weapon. They're a weapon for someone who secretly hopes he gets attacked (possibly after he goes around provoking people) so he can beat someone's face in and feel justified about it."

He felt that a stun gun was better for self-defense. I guess I could say to that: "Stun guns are not self-defense weapons. They're weapons for someone who secretly hopes he gets attacked (possibly after he goes around provoking people) so he can shock someone silly and feel justified about it." :lol:

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
I'm thinking leather gloves with an extra layer of leather across the knuckle area would protect your hands pretty well. Or maybe a set of plastic knuckles.

If you can do knuckle pushups on carpet, that would strengthen the bones in your hands.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,160 Posts
He could be right Phil. I knew the confrontation was going to happen and I might get beat up or cut. I figured I was likely going down swinging and taking at least some of him with me.

It worked out so I got the pre-emptive strike and ended his imminent attack before it started.

Nemo

·
Registered
214 Posts
So does your GWCL concealed?
16-11-126.

(a) A person commits the offens e of carrying a concealed weapon when such person knowingly has or carries about his or her person, unless in an open manner and fully exposed to view, any bludgeon, metal knuckles, firearm, knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character outside of his or her home or place of business, except as permitted under this Code section.

(b) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a concealed weapon, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1) For the first offense, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and

(2) For the second offense, and for any subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than two years and not more than five years.

·
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do not think Georgia regulates their carriage at all, except in schools, and even that depends upon what you think of the legal effectiveness of the passage and Governor's signature on HB 826, which removed the weapons definition from 16-11-127.1 and replaced it with something that did not include brass knuckles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My .02 is against bone such as a skull it would be devastating and possibly lethal. No give on contact compared to a human hand which by nature spreads out on impact.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts