Georgiapacking.org banner

181 - 200 of 230 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,115 Posts
Match10 said:
seereus said:
Your pecan trees look really close together.
20 feet to the inch apart. (Again, the telephoto and angle taken makes it look closer.) Maybe too close, but I thought I'd have a common defending zone from the squirrels!
You... you... you have PECAN TREES???

Um.... do you ever have to trim them, and have useless ol piles of pecan wood lying about???

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
I have not yet trimmed them, and you KNOW I have use of pecan wood.... :flame:

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,887 Posts
Match10 said:
Are those not, in fact, potatoes?
You're good, Match. :righton: Thanks for the compliment Front Site.

If any of you have any suggestions, I'm all ears, I need all the help I can get with this, I'm not kidding, either. :lol:

That includes you, Match.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
They are healthy looking. I already am having problems with flea beetle holes in the leaves. A little Sevin spray will keep them in heck and allow the leaves to grow, Flea beetles pressage the chance for a wilt and mold that can happen. A little balanced fertiliser around the roots and mound up the stems some of the dirt, or add mulch now to force a larger crop by hilling. Taters form up the stems, so more stems underground!

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,887 Posts
Match10 said:
They are healthy looking. I already am having problems with flea beetle holes in the leaves. A little Sevin spray will keep them in heck and allow the leaves to grow, Flea beetles pressage the chance for a wilt and mold that can happen. A little balanced fertiliser around the roots and mound up the stems some of the dirt, or add mulch now to force a larger crop by hilling. Taters form up the stems, so more stems underground!
Whoa, I did not know that. Thank you. :righton:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
EJR914 said:
Match10 said:
Are those not, in fact, potatoes?
You're good, Match. :righton: Thanks for the compliment Front Site.

If any of you have any suggestions, I'm all ears, I need all the help I can get with this, I'm not kidding, either. :lol:

That includes you, Match.
I thought it might have been Brandywine or Quarter Century Tomato as they have potato shaped leaves.

I'm trying Earthboxes this year for Cherokee Purple. Hopefully this will prevent cracking due to overwatering (heavy rain)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
After a three year hiatus I planted a small garden patch this year. Four tomato plants, all grape and cherry. Tried my luck with pepper plants for the first time (yellow bell and something called sweet cherry red). No idea what I'm doing but I had the space and the plants were on sale, so what the heck. Also planted 2 strawberry bushes - again no idea what I'm doing.

Any fertilizing / watering tips on the peppers and strawberries? I put some 10-10-10 to the strawberries, only used miracle grow on the peppers.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Bean vines are our front-runners. Spinach second. Cucumbers, basil, and tomatoes are all in seed leaves with peppers and sunflowers yet to pop up.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I planted 8 different kinds of peppers this year, as well as kale and added a couple blueberries and another peach tree. I picked some of my peppers yesterday, already coming in nicely.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have potatoes, cabbage, and a few things planted now.
I have about 66 heirloom tomatoes of different varieties I started from seed. There potted and waiting for a mid May planting.
We grow a pretty good variety but Old Heirloom Beans are the big thing. I'm looking to plant at least 1,300 row feet all trellised to 7'. I have about forty varieties in the collection. I plan to can around 100 qts., sell a few bushel, give some away, and the rest go to seed production. Hope to have a website up by fall. oldheirloombeansdotcom

·
Registered
857 Posts
We've got cherry tomatoes, cayenne peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, kale, and okra outside and zucchini, lettuce, and onions inside in hydroponic gardens.

Getting some potatoes ready too, I know I'm late, hopefully it will work out.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I planted for the first time ever this year, just this weekend. I don't have super high hopes, but i'll be delighted with even half production.

50 x 75 area.

Planted rutgers tomatoes, silver queen corn, okra, green bell and banana peppers, crowder peas, edamame, half runners, string beans, crook neck squash, sweet potatoes, cucumbers a couple watermelon and cateloupe. Got some strawberries and onions going in too.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,887 Posts
My neighbor and I have another freedom garden going again, its going fairly well, yummy those delicious home grown organic juicy tomatoes. Salt and pepper to taste. Delicious.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Tabasco, Poblano, and two other hot peppers.

We'll be getting a purple pepper variety from my chiropractor - very hot - can't remember the name now. As they grow, they change color: green, yellow, orange, red, purple. You can eat thm when they get full size , and they get hotter as they age on the vine, changing color. The plant is beutiful with the variety of colred fruit - reminds me of the old incandescent Christmas bulbs.

We also have three large potted tomatoes, and two small hanging tomato vines - purple cherry and yellow pear (in 5 gal pails).

I am fighting to avoid the slug problem we had last year. Last year, they won. This year, we'll win! Using lava rock around edge & less pine bark, pots in different spot (more direct sun), different watering schedule (less moisture under bark). Also more vigilance of leaves, or slime trails.

Everyone looks beautiful and happy. Many are flowering already, even though we planted only about two weeks ago (after that last sub 30 deg nights).

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Tabasco, Poblano, and two other hot peppers.

We'll be getting a purple pepper variety from my chiropractor - very hot - can't remember the name now. As they grow, they change color: green, yellow, orange, red, purple. You can eat thm when they get full size , and they get hotter as they age on the vine, changing color. The plant is beutiful with the variety of colred fruit - reminds me of the old incandescent Christmas bulbs.
Those are called "Chinese 5 Color"

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Those are called "Chinese 5 Color"
That what they look like. I read about them last year when he gave us a small plant, and there are several similar varieties. I highly recommend them!

Maybe this year I will get enoughto do something with them: preserves, dried /powdered, etc.

Thanks for the pic!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
That what they look like. I read about them last year when he gave us a small plant, and there are several similar varieties. I highly recommend them!

Maybe this year I will get enoughto do something with them: preserves, dried /powdered, etc.

Thanks for the pic!
Don't plant or pot them close to other peppers. They cross pollinate easily. If you save the seeds the next generation will be different and hotter.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Don't plant or pot them close to other peppers. They cross pollinate easily. If you save the seeds the next generation will be different and hotter.

Thanks. I did not know that.

181 - 200 of 230 Posts