Anybody ever ship a pistol - UPS?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by foshizzle, Jan 14, 2007.

1. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I'm going to attempt it tomorrow.

I have to send one of my burners back to get serviced. I'll be taking it to the UPS - Pleasantdale customer service center. From my understanding, I have to send it overnight, without ammo and not marked as a weapon on the box. I'm using the factory box and I'm assuming that UPS has boxes available to ship it in.

Anyone ever have trouble doing this? I know it's legal of course, since it's going to an authorized service center, but I have heard horror stories resulting from uniformed or unhelpful clerks. Any idea how much it's going to cost me to overnight it to AZ?

I'm just hoping the clerk doesn't see it and yell "GUN GUN GUN!" Especially since I'll probably be packing as well. It's UPS, not USPS :D

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

It doesn't have to be sent through a FFL?

3. Macktee

Macktee New Member

You do not have to ship to an FFL as an individual. Only FFLs have to do that. You can legally ship to another individual or to a gun shop or to a manufacturer's repair service center.

If you identify it as a gun, UPS will almost certainly try to tell you it must be sent overnight. Not true!

1. Wrap it in plain brown paper or pack it in another box, not a box that identifies the contents as GUN.

2. Declare it as something other than a gun; machined parts, paper punch (my personal favorite) or something else that could very loosely identify it.

3. Ship it via (and pay for) normal ground delivery.

4. Or, ship it via USPS and call it a gun. They don't care and won't try to jack the price up on you.

If you tell UPS it's a gun, they'll probably give you problems. So, don't tell them! The only advantage of UPS over USPS is the tracking feature, but I think USPS now offers something similar.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Really? wow.

I was under the impression that one had to go through a FFL to ship a firearm to someone else when it crosses state lines.

5. wwomack

wwomack New Member

I'm pretty sure you can only ship to another individual if you're in the same state. If the gun is going to an individual in another state, it has to go to an FFL.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/FederalGunLaws.aspx?ID=60 says

6. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I'm basing this info on what I've been told by the nice people at Hi Point Firearms and Doug at Bulls Eye, both of whom said individuals can ship to individuals or FFL holders but FFLs can only ship to other FFLs.

I sure hope I'm correct on this. If I'm not, I'm a criminal. So is one of my buddies in KY...

When I used the UPS Store, I identified the contents as a "paper punch". The guy at the counter winked at me when he typed that in.

Or maybe he just had something in his eye...

7. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Thanks for the advice :D

I shipped of a package of "Machined items" this afternoon and it was 50 bucks cheaper than overnighting it.

I don't know what I was worried about. If they are mad at the way I shipped my machined items then I guess they can yell at me. That's why I sent it UPS vice USPS... less chance of actual issues with the people that can put you in leavenworth :shock:

BTW... I wouldn't ship from individual to individual across state lines. Try shipping it to your buddy in CA or NY and see what happens if it's 'discovered' :shock:

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I don't think my ass would survive the stay at club fed.

9. rajl

rajl New Member

In general, yes. But the GCA of 1968 made specific exceptions for individuals shipping a gun to gun-smiths and manufactures for repair work or warranty claims.

10. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Hey RAJL:

That's interesting and maybe what the people who gave me the info were talking about.

Just wondering here... what does it take to be a "gunsmith"? Can a person simply claim to be one or is there some sort of license required.

If they're unlicensed, unregulated and unwhatever, that's a big loophole in the shipping regulations!

Thanks

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I see....

Hey, I have a Glock tool. I guess that makes me a 'smith!

8)

12. Purge

Purge New Member

If yous want to make a livin'... you best get permison from da govment. :sly:

13. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

UPS Shipping

I have shipped handguns through UPS recently, and I did declare them to be handguns, and I made sure they were insured for the full replacement value (I don't want the Fair Market Value as used guns that don't work). I did have to go to a customer service center-- you can't use those contract mail / packaging stores that are in just about every mall and shopping area. There are only a few main UPS terminals in the Atlanta area, and only they are allowed to take the gun. Yes, they'll make it go via next day air, and it will cost $50. I suppose I could have lied about what kind of item it was and saved a few bucks, but to me it's not worth the trouble if that lie is discovered, especially if the gun doesn't make it to the factory or back from the factory to me.

As Raj said above, the general rule is that you cannot TRANSFER a gun interstate without an FFL, or without using an FFL's services. But you are not "transfering" a gun when you send it to the manufacturer or a gunsmith for repairs or customization, with the expectation that you'll get this same gun back soon.

14. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I wonder what they would do if I was "discovered"? Confiscate it? Call the Feds because I broke their shipping regulations? Honestly, what difference is there between priority overnight and regular delivery? They have it for less time, I guess... it still probably passes through just as many hands. I think it's just for them to make money. Or to reduce liability if they lost it... but I bet the frequency of that is equal no matter how you send it.

I hope I don't find out what happens, but we'll see. It's almost to the factory now!

15. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I have heard that during shipment is a source of a lot of firearm thefts.

16. Wiley

Wiley New Member

I once fedex'd 'machine parts' to the Repair Dept. at Kel-Tec. Did it at the 'wrap, pack and ship' store. I did the wrap and pack. No over night, special labels, etc. Just plain cheap.

And before anyone jumps on me about just sending a gun, I pretty sure that I can find any number of folks who woud deny a Kel-Tec is a gun. :lol: