Any way I can carry in GA, as a GA resident, w/o a GFL?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Warp, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Warp

Warp Member

I will be moving down for good (at least for now) in May. Right now I have only an Indiana "License to Carry a Handgun". It is accepted by GA. When I move to GA I must get a GA driver's license or state ID before applying for the GFL, correct? Will I have to turn in my Indiana driver's license?

I will still have a valid Indiana gov't issued photo ID. And my Indiana carry license.

What kind of trouble could arrise from me carrying in GA on my Indiana license with an Indiana ID? What is the worse crime I could be charged with? Carrying without the license? What is the penalty for that? What about having the Indiana ID and GA license at the same time?

I am sure it is illegal, but I am wondering about putting the gun in the console when in the car and supplying LEOs with my GA license if stopped. Then when I get out of the car (sometimes) switching...leave the GA license in the car, take the gun and carry on my Indiana ID and Indiana carry license.

This would just be for the period of time between getting my GA driver's license/applying for GFL and actually receiving the GFL in the mail.

I am also looking at getting a Florida non resident permit soon...it would still be good even as a GA resident...but not in the state of GA damnit....

This will be in Gwinnett county.

What would you do?

I am thinking I should just leave the Glock in the car and make do with my 3" bladed folding knife and Fox Labs OC while I wait for the GFL.....but damn I hate to go unarmed...especially around there!`

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Warp,

Glad to hear you are moving down here.

As for carrying...I'd just carry on the Indiana ID and LTC in the interim. While not legal if you are a resident of Georgia at the time it is still your best bet and I don't think that the police would hassle you about it since I am sure a majority of them don't know the laws as well as we do.

3. Warp

Warp Member

That would be awsome.

I have a U.S. Passport, if that and a utility bill can get me a GFL I will be very happy.

4. RIPNITZ

RIPNITZ Guest

Warp, you can definitely carry in GA if Indiana is listed on Georgia's carry list from other states. And I dont blame you for wanting to be armed at all times because Atlanta is a bad area most of the time. My brother goes to Georgia Tech and everytime I go up there to see him ive got my trusty 12 gauge right beside me. Although these days, the south is getting as bad as Atlanta. Luckly the crime rate is %210 Lower but things are gettin much worse. :righton:

5. Warp

Warp Member

I know that. I have been down there a couple times in the past two weeks and carried. Already broke three carry laws too. What a crock of &$%$ :roll:

The problem is carrying in GA if I have to get a GA driver's license to apply for a GFL. If I am not an Indiana resident my Indiana license to carry is no longer valid.

6. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

You would also be breaking GA law too if you were a GA resident and carrying on a out-of-state license with no GFL.

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Warp, typically what the police go by as to residency is your DL. So if both the carry license and DL are from Indiana, you are ok. An IN carry license with a Georgia DL, you are carrying illegally which is a misdemeanor (first offense). Then 3 years after your punishment ends, you can apply for a GFL.

So to keep the possible time without a valid carry license to a short of time as you can, I would call the probate court and find out what form of ID and proof of residency they will accept. If asked just say something like - the line was shorter for this license than the other one, and you have not yet had time to stand in line.

I checked the database and as long as you get your prints done digitally, it will be fairly quick turnaround (about 2 weeks). However if their machine is down or something like that and you have to be printed with ink, it will take about 5 weeks.
    https://www.georgiapacking.org/gfl2.php?id=66

Given this about Gwinnett, I would suggest applying in late March or early to mid April.

8. Warp

Warp Member

That's what I was considering in my first post. ;)

I would be much happier if I can get a GFL without a GA driver's license. Nice and legal then.

Do you know what the penalty is for having a GA and IN driver's license simultaneously?

In GA carry without a permit is a misdemeanor, right?

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

The first offense is a misdemeanor, however you will have to wait for 3 years after your punishment ends BEFORE you will be able to apply for a GFL.