Any updates specific to church carry? List of churches?

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Meldred, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Meldred

Meldred Active Member

Most all information I can find on HB 60 seems to be older so curious if anything has changed recently as well as if we have a list of churches who may have opted in (if that is still what needs to happen)?

Looking to go to church this Sunday for first time in a while and figured this was also a good time that "the crazies" might be wanting to cause trouble given the significance of the day.

Thanks...first time I have been back on here in years!

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Most churches do not advertise that they permit the carrying of firearms.

AtlPhilip likes this.

3. Meldred

Meldred Active Member

Too bad as they are missing a great opportunity to invite more people in, as well as, warn "bad" folks to not enter.

4. Meldred

Meldred Active Member

Am I legally safe to conceal carry with weapons permit just about anywhere??

5. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Quite true. I emailed a church that someone said they DO allow carry, just to ask them. Never got back a single reply. Crickets. They really do want to keep it a secret to outsiders. Unless it was just an oversight.

6. A. McClure

A. McClure Well-Known Member

True dat. As an ordained Baptist deacon, I keep in touch with other church leaders in my area and I know of several churches around here who have adopted weapons policies, one even adopting a policy I drafted. None have advertised or announced the fact and I only know due to a close relationship with my brethren.

Groundhound likes this.
  7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The focus of the elders in the church I attend is on worship, faithful to how our Creator has instructed us he wants to be worshipped. The elders made a decision that advertising or publishing their decision on this issue invites unnecessary distraction from our purpose for being there on Sunday morning. I agree with them, for whatever that is worth.

TimBob and A. McClure like this.
  8. 45_Fan

45_Fan Active Member

Most churches do not want to be dragged into a political debate one way or another so there are unlikely to be “You can carry here” placards posted.

Additionally, randos on the internet emailing “do you permit carry” kinda falls outside of the main mission and gets filed as a distraction.

Visit, shake hands, find some guys in the men’s ministry. Spot the guys that are carrying and ask if the church is generally permissive, specific permission, or security detail only.

9. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Can a church give specific permission the way the law is written or is it once someone/anyone is granted then all GWCL are granted?

10. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

My wife stated that the pastor at Buford Church of God stated during one of their last worships that he pitied any fool that attempted to ill deeds during a sermon as he knew many people in the congregation carried and he had no issue with it (and was in favor of it). It seems like someone in the area that was open to Pentecostal would be able to get explicit carry permission for there.

11. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Active Member

At a monthly meeting on a Wednesday night (which is attended by the core of the church members), a motion was made to allow concealed carry by permit holders. It passed and that was it. No mention of it anywhere to the general membership. We carriers know who the other carriers are at our church.

TimBob likes this.
  12. jsaund22

jsaund22 Computer Ninjaneer

I'm on the board of deacons of my small church.

I gave myself permission.

:D

13. A. McClure

A. McClure Well-Known Member

Once you allow it for one license holder, you have allowed it for ALL license holders. That's a hangup with many churches, they want to pick and choose who can carry, and as a property owner, the church still maintains the right to restrict or toss anyone who violates the rules they establish (concealed carry only while in the church, acting in a threatening or confrontational manner, etc.).

14. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I think a church can use its "criminal trespass" power to generally ban carry of gun on the property, while still granting permission to a select few specific GWL holders. I don't expect many churches to want to go down that road, though. Members of the congregation would likely be offended that some of them are being treated differently than others, and churches don't want to incur the liability of creating a gun restriction that is different from state law, because then it arguably becomes a duty upon them to effectively enforce it, and if they have no way to identify and deny access to persons carrying firearms without permission, that's not an effective gun ban is it? If some bad guy shoots up the church or robs the parishioners at gunpoint, the victims could sue the church for giving them a false sense of security that only good guys would be armed there.

15. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

The DeKalb County GOP, of which I happen to be the current chairman, is starting to hold its monthly meetings at a facility in Tucker that also serves as a church. Their web site is http://atlantareformationfellowship.com. The leader of the church told me, unsolicited, that their leadership voted to permit church carry and that they typically had multiple armed parishioners at each service, and that we were welcome to carry there when we held our meetings.

I know nothing about their theology and am unqualified to either endorse or oppose it, but it's a Christian church (in DeKalb County, no less) that welcomes lawful carry, and is seeking to grow its membership. The facility is very nice.