Any turkey shoots this year?

Discussion in 'GENERAL EVENTS' started by spotco2, Nov 6, 2010.

1. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

Anyone know of any turkey shoots planned for this year?

2. Wolfram

Wolfram New Member

There is a VFW in Duluth that does one every Saturday during November and December, its right on 120.

3. Leatherhead

Leatherhead Member

Im looking for some too...Im in Cobb though...anything up my way or in Cherokee?

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

The VFW (or was it American Legion??) on Hwy 9 just north of downtown Cumming has a turkey shoot many Saturdays over the fall and winter.
    I went there last year and took two shots (with a borrowed gun with a crazy long barrel) and won a big rack of ribs.

Here is a thread about it from last year, with photos.
    Georgia packing thread from October 2009

5. flathead

flathead New Member

Should be a few at Georgia Mountain shooters Association November 20, December 18, February 5th, 12th, 19th and 26

6. Leatherhead

Leatherhead Member

I'm waking this thread up...any turkey shoots THIS year???

7. gunsmoker

There used to be one located on Hwy 293 in Acworth, not far from the Bartow Co. line, across the street from that gargage that is full of old Volswagen Bugs.
    The place that hosted it may have been a VFW or American Legion post, or maybe a Masonic Lodge. I'm not sure. I saw them holding a shoot there several years ago, but haven't been in the area since.

I'd make a bunch of phone calls to some Cobb and Bartow Co. V.F.W. and American Legion posts and see if they know anything about where to find a turkey shoot. Or call the Sheriff's office-- no, better yet WRITE to the Sheriff's office. (You'll probably get a more thoughtful response, since your letter will probably be shown to several different people before one of them answers you).

8. gunsmoker

The VFW (or was it American Legion? I forget.) post on Hwy 9 just north of downtown Cumming has Turkey shoots every Saturday starting at 1 p.m. all through November and December.
    I think they last until 4 p.m. or so.
    It only takes a few minutes to stop by, pay 5 bucks, borrow a shotgun if you want, and take the shot.
    Among all the shooters on the firing line or who shoot on that relay, if one of your pellets is closest to dead center (as in, the absolute pin-point center), you win some frozen meat.

Here's a pic of a fat man about to win some meat and get even fatter.

Note the crazy long custom barrels on these turkey guns !!!

[​IMG]

9. Leatherhead

Leatherhead Member

So can I use my full turkey choke?

10. gordon11

gordon11 New Member

Peach County Fire Station #5 is having one at Lane Orchard in Fort Valley on Saturday Nov 12. 8am - 2pm.
    For more information call Roy Rupert at 478-808-3628.

11. gordon11

gordon11 New Member

Peach County Fire Dept #5. See above.

12. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

Saw this one today in Rockmart

[​IMG]

13. Leatherhead

Leatherhead Member

Wakey Wakey old thread.....

Im ready for more leads on Turkey shoots THIS year!!!

14. gunsmoker

2016 Cumming

The local VFW on Highway 9 in Cumming, just a couple miles north of downtown and across from the Forsyth County Board of Education building, is doing their turkey shoots again for a while. It's a seasonal thing, and this is the season.

I'm not big on gambling (it's really a matter of luck, more than skill, whether one of your tiny #9 birdshot pellets will hit the dead center of the target).

I don't really want to win a rack of ribs, a rump roast, a frozen pumpkin pie, or any of the other prizes they award to the winners.

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT MATTERS MORE?

I DO want to PUBLICLY SUPPORT a conservative, pro-gun organization like the VFV (this post regularly hosts the local TEA party meetings) that is ENGAGING IN A SPORT SHOOTING EVENT, and posting a sign about this shooting right next to a busy highway.

The VFW turkey shoot puts citizens' use of firearms in a positive light, and makes it highly visible to the public. Anti-gunners hate this stuff. We should celebrate it and support it.

I'm going to go this year and pay five bucks or whatever to "take a shot" and maybe win a prize.

If I don't win, I don't really care. At that point I will have "donated" my money to the VFW. This is, after all, a fund-raising event.

I have won before. Got a huge cut of frozen meat.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  15. Scott 40s&w

Scott 40s&w Member

Long barrels are cheating. They should limit the gun to 28 inch barrels.

What target do they use and what distance?

16. gunsmoker

The VFW post in Cumming uses bullseye targets on 8.5" x 11" paper.

Attached Files:

17. gunsmoker

Wrong pic. The one above shows the 50- foot range, the firing line (yellow railing) and target stands.

This one shows the targets they use at the VFW in Cumming.

Attached Files:

18. gunsmoker

Did it

Shot it with my cousin today.
    One of my pellets came within about 5/16 of the center "X" but that wasn't good enough.

A fellow had a shotgun there with a 60" barrel.
    We had to pose for pics with that thing.

Attached Files:

19. gunsmoker

Me today.

Attached Files:

20. gunsmoker

Cuz

Cousin about to pop off a shot with my Mossy 500 Bantam 20 ga.

Attached Files: