Any recent experiences with a new GFL application in DeKalb?

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by Broadside Bob, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob New Member

Hi Folks,

Newbie here...applied for my GA Firearms license in Dekalb about a month ago. Here's my experience so far:

Left work early one afternoon last month to apply at the courthouse in Decatur. Basically, it's a pain in the butt to get there from most any where in Atlanta. Finding the clerk's office was not easy either. Filling out the forms was pretty painless, and the clerk could not have been nicer. Had all of my documentation so I was good there. I asked the clerk how long to permits generally take, and she said that it had been running about 2 months.

I was hoping to get over to DeKalb PD that afternoon and get the fingerprints done in one trip, but they only do fingerprints between something like 10:00 and 2:00. So, the next day, I make the 20+ mile drive (one way) back to Memorial Dr. at lunch. On arriving, the clerk there informs me that the fingerprint machine is broken; I could either come back when it's fixed probably the week or do it the "old fashioned way." Well, I wasn't excited about making the trip again (Dekalb PD is not a pleasant place to spend your lunch hour), and figured the machine's being broken for 1 week could easily turn into 2, 3, or more so I asked her to ink me up. Anyway, the clerk told me that instead of 2 months, the permit would now likely take 6 because of the "hard copy" prints.

A few questions for the group at this point:

Should I expect that the permit really will take 6 months? I could see the hard copy prints adding a couple of weeks delay for the mail and stuff, but 4 more months seems extreme?

Has DeKalb gotten any better about hitting the 60 day state requirement? After what the court house clerk said, I was wondering if they had finally gotten the message?

At what point should I call the courthouse to follow-up? How helpful are they when you call?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that is quite a difference between digital and ink fingerprints. While I have not dealt with DeKalb, I feel compelled to state that the 6 month lead time due to ink fingerprints given to you by DeKalb is less than credible. The reason for my judgment of dishonesty is that the fingerprints are not reviewed by DeKalb. Every county sends them to the same place. That place is not taking 6 months to run fingerprints.

As an example, I received my firearms license in Coweta County recently (I forgot and my previous one expired). They did not take anywhere near 6 months.

Why is it that some counties can return the license on time, and others cannot, even though they are sent to the same place?

Are there separate piles organized by county? Are they discriminating against DeKalb and Fulton? I highly doubt it.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

The sheriff is supposed to look at them for local stuff. (2 cards, one for local, the other is mailed to the GBI)

DeKalb is only one of two counties we know about that often takes 6 months. 7 or so take 3-4 months on average. The rest come pretty close to 60 days.

Digital prints are speeding things up for the really really slow counties to about where they should be by law. For the already law abiding counties (met the 60 day limit before digital) they have either kept the 60 days or some have even dropped down to around the 50 day mark.

Calling them about your permit should start close to day 60 and keep calling once a week to check on the progress. They will try to say don't call back for another month or so but don't listen. Only stop calling once the license is in your hand.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I would quote the statute, too, but that's just me . . .

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Yeah, here is code 16-11-129:
    http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl ... =16-11-129