Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a mystery intermittent leak. I came downstairs to find a huge puddle in my living room, essentially at the junction of where the main water supply comes through the slab, feeds the toilet and sink in a downstairs bath, and then goes upstairs to feed both upstairs baths. We were removing some floor tile upstairs and thought that we had done something to damage the pipes, but as it is now I've basically exposed the entire length of all the pipes and cannot find any sign of a leak. At one point we shook some exposed pipes to the sink upstairs, and that caused the flood to reappear in a matter of seconds, but we haven't been able to reproduce that effect or the flood itself.

I'm at a total loss - I can't even tell where the water is coming from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,352 Posts
You're so far away or I would come and help. If it's leaking through the slab it will cost $$$$ to fix it . I would suggest getting a little deeper and find the cause . Have any pictures so i can see what your talking about?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Tech5, how far are you from Dalton??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,352 Posts
COMMANDER1911 said:
Tech5, how far are you from Dalton??
Pretty darn far lol....I am in Mcdonough / Jackson area
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Well crap, we have a leaky bathtub nob, and I took it apart and the part I need might as well be a flux capasitor, nobody carries it. it's been on there since the house was built in the 60's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,352 Posts
COMMANDER1911 said:
Well crap, we have a leaky bathtub nob, and I took it apart and the part I need might as well be a flux capasitor, nobody carries it. it's been on there since the house was built in the 60's.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tech5 said:
You're so far away or I would come and help. If it's leaking through the slab it will cost $$$$ to fix it . I would suggest getting a little deeper and find the cause . Have any pictures so i can see what your talking about?
I'll snap some, but its basically a sink drain, hot and cold water pipes, and water pooling all around but not coming from the pipes (at least, I think not).

I'm testing now to see if it comes from running the washer or anything.

If it is coming from the slab, does that mean some kind of break in the drain pipes?
 

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,386 Posts
Chip the info is too much. You are going to need to narrow it down by elimination.
Also....
Did you remove tiles from under the toliet and not remove it?
 

·
NRA Certified Instructor
Joined
·
5,322 Posts
Is the flood coming from around a drain pipe or a supply pipe?

One way to find out if you have a leak is to turn off all the faucets. Go to your water meeter and check to see if the star is spinning. If it spins with no faucets open then you have a leak. It could be a broken pipe under the slab in which case you will have to cut the slab and jackhammer it out to fix it. I feel if it was at the slab then it would be more constant in the house. Since it seems to be only sometimes it comes up it's more than likely deeper and only manages to force it's way up on ocasions.
 

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,386 Posts
Seejay's recommendation should be tried first. Or does it appear once you flush a toliet or pour water down the drain?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm 90 percent sure it is around a drain line rather than a supply line. It definitely occurred just after flushing the upstairs toilet a few minutes ago, but was not repeatable - it didn't flood the next time I flushed the toilet. However, the drain pipe where the water seems to come from is completely dry above the slab - but, I can't see where water would force its way back up around the drain.

I think I'd better call the pros on this one.
 

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,386 Posts
Chip said:
We were removing some floor tile upstairs and thought that we had done something to damage the pipes
Chip said:
It definitely occurred just after flushing the upstairs toilet a few minutes ago, but was not repeatable - it didn't flood the next time I flushed the toilet.
I said:
Did you remove tiles from under the toliet and not remove it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mountainpass said:
Chip said:
We were removing some floor tile upstairs and thought that we had done something to damage the pipes
Chip said:
It definitely occurred just after flushing the upstairs toilet a few minutes ago, but was not repeatable - it didn't flood the next time I flushed the toilet.
I said:
Did you remove tiles from under the toliet and not remove it?
Whoops, I didn't get to all of the questions. One toilet is entirely removed, along with tiles. The toilet that floods the downstairs (sometimes) when flushing is in an undisturbed bath next door.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,918 Posts
Does your toilet move any, say if you were to grab the bowl and twist it some, same for the tank on top of the bowl. From what you stated, it's coming from upstairs ?
How much "flooding" are we talking about here, a small puddle of water, or a good bit of water?
Is there any foul odor to the water or the area it has been puddling on ?
You say you removed some tile, did you also remove the toilet also ?
I have been doing plumbing since 1978, you would be surprised at where water comes from and how far it travels to get there.
 

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,386 Posts
Is the drain pipe plastic...white...black...or Iron? What material is the supply lines?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fflintlock said:
Does your toilet move any, say if you were to grab the bowl and twist it some, same for the tank on top of the bowl. From what you stated, it's coming from upstairs ?
How much "flooding" are we talking about here, a small puddle of water, or a good bit of water?
Is there any foul odor to the water or the area it has been puddling on ?
You say you removed some tile, did you also remove the toilet also ?
I have been doing plumbing since 1978, you would be surprised at where water comes from and how far it travels to get there.
A bunch of water - when we first noticed it, it was several gallons and I'm not sure what started it (we hadn't flushed the upstairs toilet in a while, but were doing laundry and working around plumbing in another upstairs bath). When the toiled flushed, it was a gallon or two. The water is clear and clean. In the bath with the removed tile, we also removed the toilet.

The strangest part is that I never seem to be looking in the right place to be 100% certain, but I'm fairly sure it is the drain at the downstairs bath. However, that drain pipe is dry once you go above the slab.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

The PVC is a drain from a sink on the other side. The copper along with the PVC is a supply line that runs the sink, then goes to the cutout on the right to supply the toilet, and up the wall to supply two upstairs baths. It also goes through the ceiling then back down to supply the washer and fridge. I can see basially the entire length of the copper and it is all dry. Water pools along the wall, and I can't tell exactly where it starts.
 

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,386 Posts
but were doing laundry
When the washer is dumping it's water mixed with soap it will slow all water leaving through the drain. Where is the washer in relation to water on floor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,918 Posts
Process of elimination,
Can you not use the upstair's bath for a while ?
Where is the laundry located ? Upstairs ?
Try narrowing it down to a certain area, if your able to, ie, use certain areas for awhile till you know it's not that area. Is that possible to do, or have you already done that ?
You didn't answer my question, is your toilet bowl loose ?
If you had a water leak in the pipes, it would be all the time, a lot of water, all the time. That's one reason I asked about the toilet tank, is it loose ? Do you notice any water between the tank and bowl ? Is the floor damp around the toilet bowl ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mountainpass said:
but were doing laundry
When the washer is dumping it's water mixed with soap it will slow all water leaving through the drain. Where is the washer in relation to water on floor?
about ten feet away; I'm not sure if it goes out the same drain or not.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top