Any other chefs here?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by gsusnake, Oct 19, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

WAYYY off topic, but does anyone else here cook regularly?

I like to think I'm pretty good at it... I made some beef stew in the slow cooker this morning before I went to bed, and it smells pretty damn good right now...

Three Spirit Stew

2 pounds stew beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
    6 large garlic cloves, minced
    14 oz beef stock or canned beef broth
    I bottle of Guinness beer
    1 cup of fine red wine
    3 oz good Irish whiskey (Jameson)
    1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon dried thyme
    1 tablespoon dried basil
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    12 red potatoes, cut into stew-size pieces
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled carrots
    Salt and Pepper
    1 cup cabbage, chopped
    1 cup mushrooms
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Layer ingredients in slow cooker: carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, cabbage, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, Guinness, wine, whiskey, thyme, basil, salt, pepper, beef, tomatoes, and stock.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours. After it's done, stir and enjoy.

I call it three spirit stew because of the three different types of alcohol.

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I haven't cooked much lately. When it gets colder, I'll bring out the crock pot again. Maybe I'll have some deer of my own to put in it this year ;)

3. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Damn Snake, you got me ready to try this one as soon as I saw Guinness and Jameson. I'd be drunk just making this.

4. merlock

merlock Active Member

I'm an Iron Chef :)

5. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

I've become a rabid fan of Gordon Ramsey. Some mornings I wake up wishing I could be comit chef in one of his kitchen just so he can yell at me.

6. Taler

Taler New Member

Nice recipe Snake. I do most of the cooking around our homestead.

You looking for anything in particular? Quick? Fancy? Tasty? Something to impress a young lady, perhaps?

I've got several that would fit any or all of those criteria.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

That's the one I'm going to guess :wink:

8. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Hey, I can cook pretty darn well, myself.

I'm not sure if I should make my pork BBQ, or curried chicken breasts...

9. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call myself a chef, but I'm an avid griller/smoker/barbecue guy.

Some ribeyes and taters done on my Weber 22.5" One-Touch-Gold:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some cornbread in my large Big Green Egg:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some smoked chuck roast in my BGE:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chuck roast is the equivalent of a pork shoulder and can be "pulled" like pork.

Smoked boneless turkey breast in the BGE:
    [​IMG]

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

So, legacy...what time is supper tonight? :lol:

11. merlock

merlock Active Member

+1

12. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

now I'm hungry

EDIT: Anyone in the Athens area looking for good smoked meats let me know. I have a guy, Smokin Stevie's, what does the best ribs, pulled pork, chicken wings, pork chops, I have ever had. He will be at the Watkinsville fall festival today. I am going for lunch. He smoked a ton of stuff for us this week and vacuum sealed it so we could freeze it, even delivered it to my house Thursday night. They had a store for a short while but family health issues forced the to close. They are still doing special events and catering. I have his number so PM me if anyone wants it. They are good people.

13. legacy38

I've got some sausage on the grill right now.

14. legacy38

I ate at their place once. They were hardly ever open. It's hard to build a business when people show up to find a locked door.

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, I'm definitely jealous.

16. legacy38

The sausages didn't last long enough for pics. I took some simple Carolina Pride beef smoked sausage that I bought at Publix and wiped them with a little olive oil and then sprinkled some rub them and gave the rub time to dissolve into the oil. Then I put them on the Weber OTG. I piled the coals on one side and put the sausage on the other and let it slowly warm. When they got close to being done, I moved them over the coals and got just the right amount of char on the outside. The rub added just the right flavor dynamic.

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

That sounds really good. I had my Weber charcoal down here at my apartment, but the office nazis decided it was awesome to not allow grills. Those big green eggs...expensive cookers, aren't they? I bet it's worth it if you're serious enough about it.

18. legacy38

The BGEs are on the pricey side. Mine is in a custom table. I got the whole thing in a special deal at a local hardware store. I pretty much only use my BGE for long smokes and sometimes as a "brick oven". The Weber is just easier to drag out for a quick grill of something. The main advantage of the BGE is the long burn times that you can get. I can fill the fire box with unlit lump charcoal and then dump some lit charcoal on top, set the vents, and go for well over 10 hours with a constant temp. Once you learn to adjust the vents it is as easy to dial in temps as it is with a dial on your oven.

I recently bought a Weber Smokey Joe Platinum (18"), but I have yet to use it. I'll fire it up some this coming week.

If you can't have a full size grill at your apartment. Get yourself a Weber Smokey Joe Gold or Silver (14"). It's easy to store, and you can run out to a park somewhere in town and have a grill session whenever you get the notion.

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

The apartments won't allow grills at all. :cry:

They have grills by the pool, but those are the park ones that are always out in the open. We aren't even allowed to have charcoal/lighter fluid. How in the hell are we supposed to use the pool grills if we can't have that stuff? :roll:

I've only seen BGEs once. At Anderson's General Store here in Statesboro.

20. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

They had to close several times to go back to Ohio for treatments. They also had a crappy location in the back of a new shopping center where no one knew they were there.