Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Token Liberal Hippie
Joined
·
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WAYYY off topic, but does anyone else here cook regularly?

I like to think I'm pretty good at it... I made some beef stew in the slow cooker this morning before I went to bed, and it smells pretty damn good right now...

Three Spirit Stew

2 pounds stew beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
6 large garlic cloves, minced
14 oz beef stock or canned beef broth
I bottle of Guinness beer
1 cup of fine red wine
3 oz good Irish whiskey (Jameson)
1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
12 red potatoes, cut into stew-size pieces
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled carrots
Salt and Pepper
1 cup cabbage, chopped
1 cup mushrooms
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Layer ingredients in slow cooker: carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, cabbage, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, Guinness, wine, whiskey, thyme, basil, salt, pepper, beef, tomatoes, and stock.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours. After it's done, stir and enjoy.



I call it three spirit stew because of the three different types of alcohol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
Taler said:
Nice recipe Snake. I do most of the cooking around our homestead.

You looking for anything in particular? Quick? Fancy? Tasty? Something to impress a young lady, perhaps?

I've got several that would fit any or all of those criteria.
That's the one I'm going to guess :wink:
 

·
Token Liberal Hippie
Joined
·
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ptsmith24 said:
Taler said:
Nice recipe Snake. I do most of the cooking around our homestead.

You looking for anything in particular? Quick? Fancy? Tasty? Something to impress a young lady, perhaps?

I've got several that would fit any or all of those criteria.
That's the one I'm going to guess :wink:
Hey, I can cook pretty darn well, myself.

I'm not sure if I should make my pork BBQ, or curried chicken breasts...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,075 Posts
I wouldn't call myself a chef, but I'm an avid griller/smoker/barbecue guy.

Some ribeyes and taters done on my Weber 22.5" One-Touch-Gold:




Some cornbread in my large Big Green Egg:



Some smoked chuck roast in my BGE:


Chuck roast is the equivalent of a pork shoulder and can be "pulled" like pork.

Smoked boneless turkey breast in the BGE:
 

·
Tactical Statistician
Joined
·
13,595 Posts
now I'm hungry

EDIT: Anyone in the Athens area looking for good smoked meats let me know. I have a guy, Smokin Stevie's, what does the best ribs, pulled pork, chicken wings, pork chops, I have ever had. He will be at the Watkinsville fall festival today. I am going for lunch. He smoked a ton of stuff for us this week and vacuum sealed it so we could freeze it, even delivered it to my house Thursday night. They had a store for a short while but family health issues forced the to close. They are still doing special events and catering. I have his number so PM me if anyone wants it. They are good people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,075 Posts
VOLGRAD said:
now I'm hungry

EDIT: Anyone in the Athens area looking for good smoked meats let me know. I have a guy, Smokin Stevie's, what does the best ribs, pulled pork, chicken wings, pork chops, I have ever had. He will be at the Watkinsville fall festival today. I am going for lunch. He smoked a ton of stuff for us this week and vacuum sealed it so we could freeze it, even delivered it to my house Thursday night. They had a store for a short while but family health issues forced the to close. They are still doing special events and catering. I have his number so PM me if anyone wants it. They are good people.
I ate at their place once. They were hardly ever open. It's hard to build a business when people show up to find a locked door.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,075 Posts
The sausages didn't last long enough for pics. I took some simple Carolina Pride beef smoked sausage that I bought at Publix and wiped them with a little olive oil and then sprinkled some rub them and gave the rub time to dissolve into the oil. Then I put them on the Weber OTG. I piled the coals on one side and put the sausage on the other and let it slowly warm. When they got close to being done, I moved them over the coals and got just the right amount of char on the outside. The rub added just the right flavor dynamic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
That sounds really good. I had my Weber charcoal down here at my apartment, but the office nazis decided it was awesome to not allow grills. Those big green eggs...expensive cookers, aren't they? I bet it's worth it if you're serious enough about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,075 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
That sounds really good. I had my Weber charcoal down here at my apartment, but the office nazis decided it was awesome to not allow grills. Those big green eggs...expensive cookers, aren't they? I bet it's worth it if you're serious enough about it.
The BGEs are on the pricey side. Mine is in a custom table. I got the whole thing in a special deal at a local hardware store. I pretty much only use my BGE for long smokes and sometimes as a "brick oven". The Weber is just easier to drag out for a quick grill of something. The main advantage of the BGE is the long burn times that you can get. I can fill the fire box with unlit lump charcoal and then dump some lit charcoal on top, set the vents, and go for well over 10 hours with a constant temp. Once you learn to adjust the vents it is as easy to dial in temps as it is with a dial on your oven.

I recently bought a Weber Smokey Joe Platinum (18"), but I have yet to use it. I'll fire it up some this coming week.

If you can't have a full size grill at your apartment. Get yourself a Weber Smokey Joe Gold or Silver (14"). It's easy to store, and you can run out to a park somewhere in town and have a grill session whenever you get the notion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
legacy38 said:
ptsmith24 said:
That sounds really good. I had my Weber charcoal down here at my apartment, but the office nazis decided it was awesome to not allow grills. Those big green eggs...expensive cookers, aren't they? I bet it's worth it if you're serious enough about it.
The BGEs are on the pricey side. Mine is in a custom table. I got the whole thing in a special deal at a local hardware store. I pretty much only use my BGE for long smokes and sometimes as a "brick oven". The Weber is just easier to drag out for a quick grill of something. The main advantage of the BGE is the long burn times that you can get. I can fill the fire box with unlit lump charcoal and then dump some lit charcoal on top, set the vents, and go for well over 10 hours with a constant temp. Once you learn to adjust the vents it is as easy to dial in temps as it is with a dial on your oven.

I recently bought a Weber Smokey Joe Platinum (18"), but I have yet to use it. I'll fire it up some this coming week.

If you can't have a full size grill at your apartment. Get yourself a Weber Smokey Joe Gold or Silver (14"). It's easy to store, and you can run out to a park somewhere in town and have a grill session whenever you get the notion.
The apartments won't allow grills at all. :cry:

They have grills by the pool, but those are the park ones that are always out in the open. We aren't even allowed to have charcoal/lighter fluid. How in the hell are we supposed to use the pool grills if we can't have that stuff? :roll:

I've only seen BGEs once. At Anderson's General Store here in Statesboro.
 

·
Tactical Statistician
Joined
·
13,595 Posts
legacy38 said:
I ate at their place once. They were hardly ever open. It's hard to build a business when people show up to find a locked door.
They had to close several times to go back to Ohio for treatments. They also had a crappy location in the back of a new shopping center where no one knew they were there.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top